Need help, suspect UARS. Want to try APAP - need advice and guidance.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Need help, suspect UARS. Want to try APAP - need advice and guidance.

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:44 am

Machine run hours is unchanged by clearing any therapy data.
Run hours should be down around the clock somewhere.
So no matter how many times a person erases the therapy data the run hours won't change. That can only be changed at the factory level.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:44 am
Machine run hours is unchanged by clearing any therapy data.
Run hours should be down around the clock somewhere.
So no matter how many times a person erases the therapy data the run hours won't change. That can only be changed at the factory level.
Found it. Total of 11 hours, so that would seem about right and suggest it is brand new and has only been used by me.

One observation:
https://imgur.com/a/EqLDd0Z

Look at the seal on the right handside, that looks warped almost oval shaped.. Does yours look like that? To me it almost looks like it should really be round. I can even see a few tiny drops of water inside their, I wonder if that's not sealing properly. Or is it meant to be that shape..?

Just uploading video to youtube.

Resmed do have a 14 day return service, although I wonder if that's refund only, or whether I can ask them to swap the machine over. Eugh. :( :(

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:18 am

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJs8dga ... e=youtu.be

I recorded it using a lav mic (the kind that clips onto clothing for interviews lol!) It's a sensitive mic so that noise is exagerated a little, but that is very much it. The wooshing noise of air being sucked into the intake. There's no way I could not hear it, whether I'm close or far.

Does that sound normal? Googling seems to bring up mixed responses, some people claiming there is variance in the machines, possibly manufacturing irregularities.. Which is kinda worrying.

I've tried removing filter, re-connecting hose at back of machine, reconnecting hose to mask, turning humidifier onto manual and down to 1 (no improvement), with the water chamber removed and the sealing plate it in it's not as bad, but still happening.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 am

Mine is oval looking also. Looks just like yours.

If I get as close to the machine as you placed the microphone...I can hear the machine motor on inhale increase the breathing noise.
Away from the machine I only hear (and it's very faint) my own breathing.

I would say that things are probably working as they should but you are particularly sensitive to conductive breathing noise and the machine motor noise.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:46 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 am
Mine is oval looking also. Looks just like yours.

If I get as close to the machine as you placed the microphone...I can hear the machine motor on inhale increase the breathing noise.
Away from the machine I only hear (and it's very faint) my own breathing.

I would say that things are probably working as they should but you are particularly sensitive to conductive breathing noise and the machine motor noise.
Okay, I will try ear plugs next and see if that helps at all.

Is there any reason not to try using a sleep aid e.g. Nytol? Any risks? I just want to get one night of sleep under my belt with the machine, as I expect once i've managed that it'll only get easier.

Edit: Just to note though, that motor inhale is audible without being close, I can stand as far as possible from the machine and hear it. The mic doesn't pic it up unless particuarly close as it's a lav mic and designed to block out background noise. But that inhale woosh I can hear very easily regardless of how far I am from it.

I just tried standing as far as possible from the machine with the hose, and can easily hear it. That's why I wonder if it's defect, as I heard claims the machine was supposed to be virtually silent.. and it's far from that, and if older machines were much noisier, I don't know how people would put up with it!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 am

Yeah, try some sort of OTC sleep aid. Won't hurt anything.

I am not in your bedroom so I can't compare my machine to yours. Sorry.
But at a distance of 2 feet I can't hear the machine motor ramp up a bit BUT I can hear my own breathing. What I hear with my hear next to the machine on inhale is very similar to breathing in noise but not exactly the same.

Sounds like you can hear what the mic can't pick up. Maybe you are just hypersensitive to this sort of thing and then the brain focuses on it....and when the brain focuses on something it gets bigger and louder.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 am

I can hear mine at pressures greater than about 12 cm h20. I use a white noise generator program running on a box fan to mask the noise. It works well for me.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:44 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 am
Yeah, try some sort of OTC sleep aid. Won't hurt anything.

I am not in your bedroom so I can't compare my machine to yours. Sorry.
But at a distance of 2 feet I can't hear the machine motor ramp up a bit BUT I can hear my own breathing. What I hear with my hear next to the machine on inhale is very similar to breathing in noise but not exactly the same.

Sounds like you can hear what the mic can't pick up. Maybe you are just hypersensitive to this sort of thing and then the brain focuses on it....and when the brain focuses on something it gets bigger and louder.
Here's another video, this time without the lav mic, just recorded using an iphone 6s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW421v7 ... e=youtu.be

As you can hear, even stood away from the machine, you can clearly hear the air being sucked in to the side of the machine.

Even if I stop breathing with the mask on and hold my breath (I didn't do this in the video) , you can hear the machine still suckng air in at a couple of feet away.. and then as soon as you inhale its amplified.

I know it's always going to be subjective, but when I hear people claim they can't hear there machines, unless they've got impaired hearing, it makes me think this unit must be faulty. Because even at full hose length of 2m away, when I inhale I can still hear the machine sucking the air in..
Last edited by canyouhearmeaya on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:46 am

TASmart wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 am
I can hear mine at pressures greater than about 12 cm h20. I use a white noise generator program running on a box fan to mask the noise. It works well for me.
I've only been using a pressure of 6, even if I set the pressure to 4 and stand 2 meters away, I can hear the machine on inhale. It's the wooshing of air going into the machine. :?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 am

You won't ever know unless you can try another machine.

I don't wear a hearing aid. Don't need one. The only time I can hear what your machine might be doing is with my face about 3 inches away from the front of the machine. My pressures are 7 inhale and 4 exhale.

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:13 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 am

I don't wear a hearing aid. Don't need one. The only time I can hear what your machine might be doing is with my face about 3 inches away from the front of the machine. My pressures are 7 inhale and 4 exhale.
That's what makes me concerned. If you genuinely can only hear the intake woosh of air 3 inches away, and I can hear it 2 meters away, and neither of us have impaired hearing, then surely something isn't right about my machine.. Hmm.

I've picked up some earplugs and nytol to try tonight. Although I do wonder, if there is something wrong with it, is it even working correctly.

Resmed offer a 14 day return policy, so if needs must I will have to return the machine and order another one.

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 am

Pugsy I know this might be a pain the arse, but can I ask a favour. Is there any chance you can record your machine with your phone? Possibly set the phone maybe a meter from the machine, and then stand 2 meters / hose length from it so I can hear what kind of noises yours makes? don't worry if it's too much trouble.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am

canyouhearmeaya wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 am
Pugsy I know this might be a pain the arse, but can I ask a favour. Is there any chance you can record your machine with your phone? Possibly set the phone maybe a meter from the machine, and then stand 2 meters / hose length from it so I can hear what kind of noises yours makes? don't worry if it's too much trouble.
OMG I knew you were going to ask me to do something like that and I don't have the foggiest idea how to go about doing it. :lol: :lol:
And I don't have a tech savvy teenager around to help me out.

I will try to figure it out though but it will have to be later today because right now I am off to the beauty shop to get beautiful.
It's a big job...will take several hours. :lol:

canyouhearmeaya

Post by canyouhearmeaya » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am
canyouhearmeaya wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 am
OMG I knew you were going to ask me to do something like that and I don't have the foggiest idea how to go about doing it. :lol: :lol:
And I don't have a tech savvy teenager around to help me out.

I will try to figure it out though but it will have to be later today because right now I am off to the beauty shop to get beautiful.
It's a big job...will take several hours. :lol:
LOL, cornerned yourself. That's what you get for being so damn helpful!!! Honestly, if it's too much of a pain, don't worry I don't want to inconvenience you. I contacted 'Intus Healthcare' who are the company I did my home sleep-study with, explained the issue, they told me to email them a full run down and links to the videos and they'll see what they think.

The lady on the phone did say the Airsense 10 Auto is supposed be around 30db.. I downloaded a DB monitoring app for iphone, placed it next to the air event and then stepped away and ran the machine with the mask on, and the decibel level reaches 55 on inhale.. WHETHER those apps are accurate or not, I don't know.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 am

I have a sound meter on my phone.
If I place the phone on the left side of the machine I get about 55 DB on inhale at the highest.
If I place the phone on the bed about 2 ft away from the machine I get about 35 DB on inhale.

Bear in mind that without doing anything the ambient noise level is 32 DB without the machine even being on and I am not moving at all. It's essentially silent at 2 ft away.

Gotta run, can't be late for beauty trip.