Dental Devices

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JimH

Dental Devices

Post by JimH » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:03 pm

Has anyone tried using a dental device instead of the a CPAP/APAP machine. I was having a conversation with the dentist today and was wondering how effective users think they are. it grows tiresome with the leaking masks, the mouth opening even with the chinstrap on and having a red indentation on my face or chin from the darn thing.

Thanks,
Jim

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:07 pm

this is http://www.cpaptalk.com - A Forum For All Things CPAP

have you tried asking your question on the link below, you can read all about it on TAS Dental Sleep Medicine forum:

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/message-b ... 2e589cb053

JimH

Post by JimH » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks Dog. Wont' try that again. Just thought I may see if perhaps someone here may have tried the "won't mention the other treatment option" name again prior to migrating to a CPAP- I device I do currently use. I consider myself slapped and won't offend again.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:36 pm

[quote="JimH"]Thanks Dog. Wont' try that again. Just thought I may see if perhaps someone here may have tried the "won't mention the other treatment option" name again prior to migrating to a CPAP- I device I do currently use. I consider myself slapped and won't offend again.

sleepergal

Post by sleepergal » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:56 pm

Jim,

My sleep doctor let me check with my dentist about a dental device before prescribing my cpap machine. My own dentist would have happily made a $900 appliance for me but didn't seem very knowledgeable. So I asked the sleep doctor for a referral to a dentist who was experienced with sleep apnea patients and sought a second opinion. The second dentist's verdict for me was that I wouldn't benefit from a dental device. He didn't even charge me for the consult. He also gave me a huge "pep talk" on making sure I did my homework before considering any kind of invasive surgery or spending money on dental devices or other treatments. Wouldn't it be great if they were all so honest!

I don't see how it hurts to investigate the different options but I wouldn't do anything (surgery, dental devices, etc.) unless I was truly convinced that there was a high probability of success.

Right now, I'm just feeling grateful that I can deal with my sleep apnea with a simple little machine that blows air. It could be so much worse.

Sleepergal

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:34 am

Jim, I think it's perfectly all right to discuss any kind of treatment options on any message board where people are coming for support about sleep disordered breathing.

Snork1, who's been a regular poster here has been successfully using a TAP Titanium dental device. I welcome getting to see his posts about his progress with that, same as when I was reading his posts about his cpap treatment right here, too.

It's true that you can find more info about dental devices, Pillar procedure and other things at the dental sleep medicine forum at TAS, as Snoredog mentioned.

But please DO keep coming here also to share what works/doesn't work for you whether it's cpap or something else. We never know when other kinds of treatment information can be helpful to someone who perhaps was about to give up.

If you hadn't asked about it right here, you wouldn't even have seen the link that Snoredog posted. So, it was a good thing that you posted here, wasn't it?

Keep coming back, Jim. Let us know how things go for you, any treatment you choose.

Clickable LINKS to surgery, turbinates, Pillar, TAP experiences
viewtopic.php?t=2836
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

jacko

Post by jacko » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:18 am

Yep Im with you on this one Laura(with you on most things) its a ok question to ask here
I would suggest Jim gets one of the cheap boil and bite dental devices and gives it a try , they dont cost much .I have a couple and they do help with my snoring ,so my wife tells me ,so if for some reason my cpap breaks down one night I will use one of them
Ok they are not much good for my apnea ,but better than nothing in a emergency
Regards Jacko

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

sleepyWI

Post by sleepyWI » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:16 am

Boil and bite dental devices? Can you elaborate?

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:05 am

Jim,

I also agree with Rested Gal. I like to see all things OSA related discussed here. You may not find as much info here as at the site the Snoredog mentioned, but posting here is alright.

What I know about dental devices:

There is a specific field of dental medicine relating to Sleep issues. Make sure you see one of those dentist. They should have a certificate stating they graduated dentisry in sleep (forget the last word). (I was refereed to one of these dentist for a different reason.)

The success of the dental device depends on what causes the closure of the throat.

If you decide to go the route of a dental device, make sure that you get another sleep study to see how the device is working for you.

Some people have gotten a dental device and the pillar and have had success.

At a Sleep Apnea conference the dental device was mentioned. It does work for some people. Just like surgery works for some people. It all depends on what is causing the closure and where the closure is.

Jim, I would be interested to hear about any dental devices and how they work. So please post any experience you have.

I wish you much success.

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:10 am

That was me, I thought I was automatically logged in.

I also wanted to mention:

The difference with the dental devices and surgeries and xPAP IS that the dental devices and surgeries work well in a few specific cases, but xPAP will work well for almost everyone (after the leaks, interfaces and pressures are tweeked). Maybe I should say there is a very small percentage of people that xPAP will not work (just incase).

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Born Tired

Post by Born Tired » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:12 pm

After not doing so well during my titration sleep study, my Dr. suggested a dental device. I tried the Silent Night for months. It was very uncomfortable for me and each morning my teeth would clack while I tried to eat breakfast until my jaw would realign. And I'd still have breathing events . So it didn't work for me. The Dr. had said it seems to have about a 50% sucess rate.
Esther
--

My husband says, "Esther is not a morning person---and it goes downhill from there."

I Thes. 5:16 "Rejoice evermore."

meister

Dental Devices do work!

Post by meister » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:23 pm

Are there drawbacks to them? You betcha! However there are more
drawbacks to PAP machines. Only someone with a totally closed mind
would dismiss any and all options. What works for one person, may
or not work for another person. As Laura can tell you, I have tried many
combinations of taping, Pillar, two different dental devices, three different PAP
boxes, S/T mode, lots of different meds, different humidifiers, chin
straps, nasal inserts, panty hose, Scuba mask seal, benzoid tinctures, white noise machines, sleeping masks, etc. I have found more than one
combination that works. A lot depends on what is causing your apnea,
and how willing you are to work to find a solution.

viewtopic.php?t=13919&highlight=

If you want someone to help you through the maze, I am willing.

JimH

Post by JimH » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks everyone. I am currently using a CPAP and the Swift Nasal mask. I switch on and off with the mirage face mask( only when I get sick or have nasal problems.) I am usually happy with my CPAP, but as of late, it's been more difficult. I seem to get sick (ear nose and throat ) more often lately, (actually since I started using the new mask last year). I still haven't figured out if I am more tired (burnt out) from my insane job or if I am being more non-compliant more than usual. I still don't wake up with headaches, but I do feel more tired again. I was just at the dentist for another reason and was just talking about the devices. I read some disturbing post with loose teeth and jaw issues on the other site ( Thank you Snoredog- the site was really useful and I didn't mean to get snippy but I was really cranky last night). I will most likely stay with the mask.

Thanks everyone.

jim

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:34 pm

[quote="JimH"]Thanks everyone. I am currently using a CPAP and the Swift Nasal mask. I switch on and off with the mirage face mask( only when I get sick or have nasal problems.) I am usually happy with my CPAP, but as of late, it's been more difficult. I seem to get sick (ear nose and throat ) more often lately, (actually since I started using the new mask last year). I still haven't figured out if I am more tired (burnt out) from my insane job or if I am being more non-compliant more than usual. I still don't wake up with headaches, but I do feel more tired again. I was just at the dentist for another reason and was just talking about the devices. I read some disturbing post with loose teeth and jaw issues on the other site ( Thank you Snoredog- the site was really useful and I didn't mean to get snippy but I was really cranky last night). I will most likely stay with the mask.

Thanks everyone.

jim

JimH

Post by JimH » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:45 pm

thanks Snoredog. I will have to do some research on this. Do most DME's carry this?

Jim