ASV users RESMED aircurv 10 asv vs S9 Adapt

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wilsonintexas

ASV users RESMED aircurv 10 asv vs S9 Adapt

Post by wilsonintexas » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:48 pm

I have been using a S9 VPAP Adapt for several years and it is time for a new machine.

I tried the PR system 1 ASV (I forget the actual name sorry) and it is not doing as well as I had hoped. I have a separate thread trying to adjust it. In a way, I am a little lucky, because as of Jan 1, my insurance changed how they buy machines. They rent the machine for the first 3 months. So I am looking to switch back to the RESMED. I called the DEM, and it looks like all I need is a new script from my DR to switch machines. The current script specified the PR system.

I am thinking of the new RESMED Aircurve 10 ASV, but I wanted to see if anyone has used it, and see how it compares to the S9.

The S9 kept my AHI at 0. But on my older achine, the lowest I could set the PS was 3. Even with the lowest settings, my AHI was at 0. I believe that the new Aircurve (or for that matter even a current S9) can let me lower the PS min lower. (This all started when my aegro got a lot worse, and I was trying to lower the pressures to address that). Even on the S9, it got better at the lower settings, but it looked like I could go lower, but the machine would not cooperate.

Any comments would be appreciated. I can get the DR to specify any machine I want, so I just need to see which one to get.

I am tempted to see if I can get another S9, that way at least I can have a spare humidifier, but I know that in the long run, I am probably beter off with the new machine, from a long term parts/repair/support viewpoint.

Thanks again for any comments.

wilsonintexas

Re: ASV users RESMED aircurv 10 asv vs S9 Adapt

Post by wilsonintexas » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:20 am

bump.

Is there anyone who has the RESMED AIRCURVE 10 ASV out there? any comments one way or the other would be appreciated.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:54 am

wilsonintexas wrote:bump.

Is there anyone who has the RESMED AIRCURVE 10 ASV out there? any comments one way or the other would be appreciated.

I think it may be difficult to find ASV users who has used both machines so they can give you an honest comparison.

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:51 pm

I guess it is to new. Thanks for the reply.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:10 pm

wilsonintexas wrote:I guess it is to new. Thanks for the reply.
there's no difference in the settings between the 36037 and the aircurve 10 asv.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks, I am going to call the dr in a few minutes ande ask for a new script.

I bumped up the pressure on the PR, but my ahi was up again last night, and I am nit sleeping well. I gave it 23 days, and since I was already use to cpap in general, I think that that is a good try.

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:32 pm

I am in the process of getting the aircurve 10 asv. I will update this when it comes in.

OSAHell

Post by OSAHell » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Good, wish your process will go well!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:49 pm

I think that there are some people who probably do better with one brand's algorithm over another. I think that it can happen no matter which model...be it cpap/apap or even regular plain bilevel.
I think everyone knows that I am lucky and I seem to do well with either brand but I can understand that there are people who simply might do better with one brand's way of doing things over another.

I haven't had a chance to try the new AirCurve 10 ASV to compare it with my S9 Adapt and I don't know if or when I will get a chance to try it. It is my understanding that the way it gets the job done was unchanged with the change to the AirCurve. Meaning the algorithm and settings available weren't changed at all and that the real change was the cosmetic changes and the slight difference in the way the heated hose controls work. It might be a little bit quieter but to be honest my Adapt was darn near silent anyway so I never thought noise levels needed work anyway.

I have noticed that I need different EPAP minimums between my Adapt and my PR S1 960 to get the same results in terms of numbers (AHI) but the quality of sleep was still great with the 960 even when the AHI had room for improvement. It's well known that the Respironics way of doing things is probably a little "kinder, gentle, slower" way to get the job done. I think some people will like the 960 better and some will like the ResMed way better and some it won't matter. Most people don't get a chance to actually try out each brand though. It does make me wonder sometimes if a person has a lot of difficulty with one brand if they might be one of those who would do better with a different brand. Unfortunately DMEs aren't too keen on letting people try multiple machines and as usual the patient is the one that suffers.

In response to your original question...I don't know of any veteran Adapt user who is now using the AirCurve ASV. It's just too new. People who have the AirCurve now are likely to be new to therapy and this is all they have ever known.
As time goes by more people will be replacing the older models with this new model and there will be more input.
It will be quite a while before I will be able to try one out. Simply too costly for me since I have to pay out of pocket unless I find someone with one and they don't have a clue what it really is and I get the steal of a deal of the lifetime.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ignorant1

Post by ignorant1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:17 am

I don't check in here very often anymore, but fortunately I happened to see this thread.

I was using an S9 Adapt for several years (an early model) and switched to an Aircurve ASV a few months ago. I couldn't be more happy with the Aircurve, although other than design & aesthetics, I don't really notice significant differences between the two.

There is perhaps a very small difference in noise characteristics between them, but again very insignificant. I believe that the external noise generated by them is similar in volume, however the noise generated internally and transmitted via the tubing seems a bit less with the Aircurve. Is it simply a production variation between units, or due to a difference in design? I don't know, and again the difference is relatively insignificant.

I personally believe that the newer style climateline tubing with the 90-degree angle and rotating attachment point is a significant improvement. If I had to pick nits, the Aircurve humidifier tank is a little easier to deal with on a daily basis, but conversely the S9 was less fiddly to get into warmup mode. Those are truly insignificant observations, and have nothing to do whatsoever with the clinical effectiveness of either machine.

(In actuality, there was a big difference between my two machines, but only due to defects with my S9 - so those differences do not apply to other comparisons between a normally functioning S9 vs. Aircurve.)

Best wishes with your new unit... It will be interesting to hear your observations after you've used it for a while.
“Ignorance” is not pejorative; it is simply a lack of information. “Stupidity” is an inability to utilize available information.

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:37 am

Called APREA today, and they almost had it right. they thought it was a script to check the machine. I explained that it was for a difernt machine. They verified verified I was renting and are going to have the person call me to arrange for the machiens to be swapped out. I will give them 24 hours and see.

I do not understand why we have to shepard things like this, but I am having similar problems with injections for my knees, I had to step it through the entire process, it got stck at each and every step, with either someone not reading the script, trying to do something else that they think is better, or simply messing up like the first script was for both knees, byt they had to switch meds, and he replacement script was for only one knee......

rant over.

Papit

Post by Papit » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:52 pm

wilsonintexas wrote:I am in the process of getting the aircurve 10 asv. I will update this when it comes in.
How has the Aircurve 10 ASV worked out for you, wilson? Any pros and cons relative to the S9? Thx.

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Sorry I have not updated this thread. Got distracted with other things.

The aircurv is working fine. My ahi is under control. Not as low as the S9 (which was 0 most of the time). BUT much better than the PR (which went up to 13 one night)

But I have been able to lower the pressure to deal with the trapped air. I am willing to have a few apneas to get rid of the trapped air.

When I did my followup with the sleep dr, we talked abut the tradeoff. At the end of the session, he said I should work for the DME, and said that he thinks I understand the relationships beter than anyone else he knows. It was nice to hear.

BUT ALL OF THAT IS BECAUSE OF THIS FORUM. THANKS EVEYONE.

I really wanted the PR to work for me, but that algorithm was just not doing it for me. I know that each person responds differntly, so maybe it works for someone else.

I do like the aircurv 10. The water chamber is a little harder to take out and change. Sometimes it seems o get stuck. But it is much easier to open and clean out. I do not use dstilled water, so I need to clean out the buildup. I find that I can clean it up much easier, since the top is designed to open easily.

QueSera

Post by QueSera » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:03 pm

I was just prescribed ASV today. I won’t get it until next month, and I don’t know a whole lot about it. (2 years on APAP.) This was the only thread I found that was related. I’ll keep checking back.
It's always something. Roseanne RoseannaDanna
I was a victim of a series of circumstances, as are we all. Malachi Constant

Papit

Post by Papit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:22 pm

QueSera wrote:I was just prescribed ASV today. I won’t get it until next month, and I don’t know a whole lot about it. (2 years on APAP.) This was the only thread I found that was related. I’ll keep checking back.
I had a consistent AHI level of about 13 with centrals and obstructives being about equal while using the APAP. Total AHI dropped to less than 2.0 when my doc switched me to the ASV. I was using the ResMed's S9 ASV and later was updated to the Aircurve 10. Both units worked equally well.

So your new year will hopefully be a happy one for you as well! Best of luck,

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x