Anyone else like me actually reasonably happy with their DME

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 pm

I read all the horror stories here about DMEs and realize I am reasonably happy with mine. The sleep center I went to is also the DME in my case. I didn't know anything about CPAP when I got my machine and mask. It turns out the machine they sold me (Respironics S1 60 series auto) is not a cheap dumb brick and is fairly well regarded. It looks like insurance (and myself) paid $1018 for the machine which doesn't seem terrible when it costs $750 online although they did charge separately for the humidifier chamber even though I'm sure it comes with the humidifier. They billed insurance $129 for my new mask I got recently which isn't much more than online.

Is anyone else actually happy with their DME?

PreemieNrsTiffy

Re: Anyone else like me actually reasonably happy with their DME

Post by PreemieNrsTiffy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm reasonably happy with my DME. Reasonably, not perfectly. I had some real issues when they moved recently and I couldn't get ahold of them on the phone. It's been worked out. Most of the time, they don't even charge me for nasal pillow replacements. I might have more problems but I live literally blocks from them and can run up there and grab supplies whenever.

library lady

Post by library lady » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Yes, I too am reasonably happy with mine, also located within the clinic where I did my sleep study, and it's a full range clinic with many specialties. I guess I haven't been doing this long enough to be unhappy with it. I knew nothing about what kind of a machine I should have, and the one I ended up with. They also showed me the resmed S9, and the System One looked better to me so that's the one I picked.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

KentuckyHoser

Post by KentuckyHoser » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 pm

It's only been two weeks for me, but so far? I'm happy. Issues I had were promptly addressed. They were minor issues with mask fit. They didn't try to push a 'brick' on me but my prescription was for an APAP so that kind of took care of that. They sent me welcome gifts and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they even got a heated hose approved for me. ...again, it's only been two weeks. I'll let you know in six months.

Edited to add: Oh, and I'm actually dealing with Lincare. I was expecting the worst. I guess it really does vary from local office to local office.
Out on the Rim a Captain's goal was simple: Find a crew, Find a job, Keep flyin'. - Shepherd Book

Bama Rambler

Post by Bama Rambler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm not reasonably happy, I'm very happy with my DME!

I read all the horror stories here and other places and figured that I was amazingly lucky. They didn't try to get me less machine than I needed and let me try as many masks as I needed to in order to find the right one. They also ordered a mask that they don't normally handle and are giving it to me for free in return for a report on how it works and what my thoughts are about it. I couldn't ask for more.

muchojo

Post by muchojo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Yes, I am fine with Apria. I have them for 4 years now. Only on my last order they sent me a mask without the Large size Pillows, but I called them and they sent me a New one in only a couple of days.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 pm

I've been quite happy with my mail order/online DME, Nationwide Medical.

My hubby started CPAP 12/2012 , so I had him start with a local DME. They were polite but had limited stock, defeating the whole purpose as to why I wanted him with local, brick-and-morter store. They went out of business around Aug/Sept, so he went with Nationwide too. When he wants to try another style mask, they negotiate timing of next shipment and send the mask he wants to try. If the new mask doesn't work, all we do is call & they will send his last standard mask to replace the 'trial' mask. This works quite well as a 'try on' process.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I've been VERY pleased with my DME for nearly nine years.......CPAP-dot-COM.
I have never and would never use a local brick and mortar DME.

Den

ubnoxus

Post by ubnoxus » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 pm

I love my DME, service is amazing, prices cannot be beat anywhere online or in store. The knowledge and level of dedication is unmeasurable. I wouldn't go elsewhere even if I found a better price and pretty sure they would match it. I went thru about 40 masks my first month on CPAP and not one complaint at switching them out for me. Always call to see if or what I need each month. Always get me the best quality, nothing generic is ever substituted. A+++ rating for Heartland Healthcare
Using Tapatalk

reader2580

Post by reader2580 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Wulfman... wrote:I've been VERY pleased with my DME for nearly nine years.......CPAP-dot-COM.

Unfortunately, most insurance companies will not deal with online companies like cpap.com. If I had to pay out of pocket I would certainly buy online. My 20% co-pay is still a lot less than buying online out of pocket in most cases.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 pm

reader2580 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:I've been VERY pleased with my DME for nearly nine years.......CPAP-dot-COM.

Unfortunately, most insurance companies will not deal with online companies like cpap-dot-com. If I had to pay out of pocket I would certainly buy online. My 20% co-pay is still a lot less than buying online out of pocket in most cases.
Actually, I think in many cases, the users don't know how to approach their insurance providers and therefore get turned down. But, in many other cases, the insurance providers have their "rule book" and don't know how to deviate from it.
In my case, my insurance provider (self-insured PPO) reimbursed me for 80% of my initial equipment purchase. From then on, I've been buying everything out-of-pocket because I never met my deductible. I met my first deductible with my sleep study. Now, I'm on Medicare but I stocked up on supplies in previous years, so my future expenses will be very minimal.
I did the math and if I had gone through a local DME, my costs would have been about the same either way (but actually a little cheaper the way I did it). This way, I got the machine I wanted and didn't have the hassle of monthly co-pays and other nightmares I've read about on the forum. I did lots of research and the first mask is picked is the mask I've stuck with and what has worked the best for me. I bought a couple of others along the way, but they never could beat my UMFF.

I probably won't make many friends with this next one, but I also think that it's silly for insurance to pay for "consumables" (masks, filters, hoses, etc.) for the users. Does automobile insurance pay for tires, oil and other repairs (or even replacement vehicles after five years) to policyholders' vehicles? Heck no! Does homeowner's insurance pay for electricity, water, sewer, laundry soap, lawnmowers, etc.? Uhhhhh nooooo.

Den

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35 pm

reader2580 wrote:

Unfortunately, most insurance companies will not deal with online companies like cpap-dot-com. If I had to pay out of pocket I would certainly buy online. My 20% co-pay is still a lot less than buying online out of pocket in most cases.
Do be clear, the way I did it was to buy out-of-pocket from CPAP-dot-COM and then bill my insurance provider (with an invoice to them with them as the party being billed and me as the billing party). They also considered me to be "in-network" for these purposes.
I had asked them ahead of time if they would do it and they said they would (reimburse me)......and did.

Den

KentuckyHoser

Post by KentuckyHoser » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
I probably won't make many friends with this next one, but I also think that it's silly for insurance to pay for "consumables" (masks, filters, hoses, etc.) for the users. Does automobile insurance pay for tires, oil and other repairs (or even replacement vehicles after five years) to policyholders' vehicles? Heck no! Does homeowner's insurance pay for electricity, water, sewer, laundry soap, lawnmowers, etc.? Uhhhhh nooooo.

Den
This line of thinking doesn't make much sense to me. Medications are consumables? Just because homeowner's insurance doesn't pay for food, does that mean health insurance shouldn't pay for meds? What about oxygen? Or diabetes supplies?
Out on the Rim a Captain's goal was simple: Find a crew, Find a job, Keep flyin'. - Shepherd Book

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 pm

KentuckyHoser wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den
This line of thinking doesn't make much sense to me. Medications are consumables? Just because homeowner's insurance doesn't pay for food, does that mean health insurance shouldn't pay for meds? What about oxygen? Or diabetes supplies?
The filters and masks and such aren't "medications"........and that's where I draw the line (in my mind). I use medications and they aren't very cheap, but if I had to pay for them out-of-pocket, I would. To me, hospitalization coverage and actual medications are what "health insurance coverage" is really about.
I think too many people waste insurance coverage with CPAP supplies. They go "eenie meenie minie moe which mask shall I try next?" They get stuff more often than they "need" it. I've witnessed it on the forum for years. I think if they had to pay out-of-pocket, they would be more frugal with THEIR OWN MONEY.
The CPAP supplies are deemed to be "medical" because they're governed/controlled by the federal government. If you could take the government out of the equation, this stuff would be MUCH cheaper.

Den

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:53 am

Very happy with mine! It Apria and never have had one problem with them at all. I call the 800 number and they send me whatever I ask for. They ship it right to my front door.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14