CPAP toxic off-gas

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
crystalhelix

Post by crystalhelix » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:39 pm

Alisha wrote:crystalhelix wrote:

" -it is a concern, do you think if the off-gas was toxic the FDA would allow it, xPAP machines and devices are FDA regulated and the FDA is pretty good about finding things out while investigating,"

I hope you are joking. Or do you not buy the opinion that the FDA is in bed with the drug manufacturers and others they "regulate?"

SleepGuy wrote:

"Truth be told, there are a number of alternative materials that do not contain phthalates that would certainly be suitable for xPAP hosing and masks, including teflon, silicone, and urethane. But these cost more and manufacturers don't want this to impact their profit margins."

I don't know anything about urethane, but I do know that the silicone seals in masks causes pain and damage to my face. I've read many articles about the harmful effects of teflon, such as the following:

http://www.mercola.com/2007/jan/16/the- ... tinues.htm

It seems that everything that is helpful or useful is also harmful. I do remain optimistic, though.

Regards,

Alisha
I have friends at medical companies, and I have talked to them about this kind of stuff. Supposedly they are definately not in bed with each other and a FDA inspection is no fun, there is a lot of preperation involved and the regular inspections or audits as they call them keep companies on their toes...

On the DEHP issue, most companies have transitioned out of using it according to my buddy and the mask flaps are actually a really good silicone, I know what you mean about marks/redlines/pressure points, it's the bane for anyone on xPaP to have a flap on their face for 7 hours..

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:02 am

crystalhelix wrote: On the DEHP issue, most companies have transitioned out of using it according to my buddy and the mask flaps are actually a really good silicone, I know what you mean about marks/redlines/pressure points, it's the bane for anyone on xPaP to have a flap on their face for 7 hours..
I don't think the masks are the DEHP culprits. It's primarily in the cheap hoses and soft couplings--and due to the large surface area inside the hose there's a lot of room for DEHP to leach out of these components. Also, my F&P disposable water chamber is made from a cheap acrylic resin that leaches something nasty (smells like styrene) when it's hot. There's still a lot that could and should be done to limit our exposures to such things.

Try the Scented CPAP Mask with Pur-Sleep's CPAP Aromatherapy--CPAP Diffuser and Essential Oils.
"Love it, Love it, Love my PurSleep!"

bengomez

Re: CPAP toxic off-gas

Post by bengomez » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:57 am

I think plastic industry are creating something about this thing guys...

katsu511

Post by katsu511 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:26 am

I just set up a new CPAP machine as my old one was losing power. After two hours using it, I had an unbelievably severe headache and a raw throat from the fumes that were off-gassing from the equipment (the mask was not new but one I have been using with no problems). I immediately stopped using this equipment but felt sick all the next day. I am returning it to the healthcare provider who seemed surprised and unconcerned about my experience. My first CPAP machine did not do this at all and was made of a different type of plastic than this new one. In addition, this one was noisy and overly lit up my bedroom. People like us with breathing problems (I have asthma too) should not have to put up with this shoddy equipment.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 am

katsu511 wrote:I just set up a new CPAP machine as my old one was losing power. After two hours using it, I had an unbelievably severe headache and a raw throat from the fumes that were off-gassing from the equipment (the mask was not new but one I have been using with no problems). I immediately stopped using this equipment but felt sick all the next day. I am returning it to the healthcare provider who seemed surprised and unconcerned about my experience. My first CPAP machine did not do this at all and was made of a different type of plastic than this new one. In addition, this one was noisy and overly lit up my bedroom. People like us with breathing problems (I have asthma too) should not have to put up with this shoddy equipment.
I do not have asthma.
When I recieved my new cpap machine and hose I let the machine run in the living room for 2 hours, without me being connected to it.

If your machine has "auto off", you have to make sure it is off to let you do that.
My hose had instructions to wash it before first use.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ray43

Post by ray43 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:29 am

For me it is the machine, not the mask or hose. Resmed.

Very strong and unpleasant. Unusable. More concerned with toxicity than aesthetics. Am trying all remedies.

sleepisgood

Post by sleepisgood » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:47 am

Do the chemicals release from the masks over time? I'm wondering if you could get a replacement mask early and let it "air out" for a month before using it?

I am sympathetic- I work in healthcare and developed a latex allergy years ago. I used to have to sign out boxes if my "special" gloves from employee health. That worked out just great for a night shift worker in a critical care area where emergencies were the norm... It's thankfully gotten much easier to deal with.

ray43

DEHP (phthalates) and CPAP equipment

Post by ray43 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:26 pm

In "PVC and DEHP in medical devices: problems and solutions" (online) Ted Schettler (MD MPH) mentions CPAP as a "medium exposure" to DEHP (phthalates) for neonatal care. Of course that is probably different equipement; and developmental impact seems to be the principal concern for DEHP, not adults.

A controversial question such as whether DEHP poses genuine health hazards (as endocrine disruptors or liver toxins) for adults is probably pointless to debate on a list like this one. I see the FDA and industry on one side saying, and various activist groups on the other and no point rehearsing the positions. For myself I guess I'm more impressed by researchers such as Schettler who are raising concerns, than with industry/FDA saying "safe if used as directed".

So for some of us the question is now:

Which (or which parts of) CPAP devices contain DEHP? Or other volatile chemicals?

If they all do then those of us who are concerned will have to accept a tradeoff and stick with the CPAP: Apnea is a confirmed danger and DEHP a debateable one. But I would at least like to lose the new car smell.

ray43

Post by ray43 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:37 pm

[... or maybe none do? or few? ]

rs_shadow0000

Post by rs_shadow0000 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 am

A arguable catechism such as whether DEHP poses 18-carat bloom hazards (as endocrine disruptors or alarmist toxins) for adults is apparently absurd to agitation on a account like this one. I see the FDA and industry on one ancillary saying, and assorted activist groups on the added and no point call the positions. For myself I assumption I'm added afflicted by advisers such as Schettler who are adopting concerns, than with industry/FDA adage "safe if acclimated as directed".

diane153242341124

Post by diane153242341124 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:04 am

I will NOT use this toxic mask/hose. This is a horrible plastic, and I can taste it. They say that the plastic used in water bottles contains 25,000 chemicals and cause breast cancer. There is no way I can sleep, breathing these toxic chemicals, which I am sure will continue to be emitted. The plastic from bottled water gets more toxic if the plastic is refilled over and over. I am going back to my 10-year-old C-PAP with its leaky mask.

Perez Turner

Post by Perez Turner » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:58 am

Good awareness about CPAP toxic off-gas. Before I never noticed it before but after landing here I am able to plane my next strategies.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:21 pm

diane153242341124 wrote:I will NOT use this toxic mask/hose. This is a horrible plastic, and I can taste it. They say that the plastic used in water bottles contains 25,000 chemicals and cause breast cancer. There is no way I can sleep, breathing these toxic chemicals, which I am sure will continue to be emitted. The plastic from bottled water gets more toxic if the plastic is refilled over and over. I am going back to my 10-year-old C-PAP with its leaky mask.
As old as this thread is most of the readers are probably dead from breathing plastic. If you can hide from chemicals in this world, you must live on a deserted island, never fear they are still searching for the U.S.S MINNOW. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:11 pm

diane153242341124 wrote:I will NOT use this toxic mask/hose. This is a horrible plastic, and I can taste it. They say that the plastic used in water bottles contains 25,000 chemicals and cause breast cancer. There is no way I can sleep, breathing these toxic chemicals, which I am sure will continue to be emitted. The plastic from bottled water gets more toxic if the plastic is refilled over and over. I am going back to my 10-year-old C-PAP with its leaky mask.
I didn't realize they were making the masks and humidifier tanks out of used plastic water bottles......

There are also statements that they're no longer using BPA in the newer tanks, etc.

Do you plan on living forever? I don't. But, I think I'll live longer by using my CPAP machines and masks......even if they have BPA in them.

If you're a woman who has used Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), your chances of getting breast cancer are much higher.

Den

Bobshouse

Post by Bobshouse » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:03 pm

and that "new car" smell....well that's a whole different thread...

Actually though, you might get your DME to clean it with one of those "oxygen" cleaning devices to see if that helps.