Weight GAIN after starting cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tigerlily

Weight GAIN after starting cpap

Post by Tigerlily » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Just wondering if anyone else GAINED weight when they first started cpap therapy?

I expected I might lose weight since apnea can cause weight gain.

I'm sure the weight gain is all my fault....eating too much. I thought better sleep would = hormones and stress under control = less hunger and thus weight loss. But, nope

Also....the past 2 days I have felt very tired again. Not sure why. I'm a little frustrated.

Additional Comments: Pressure: 11 , OSCAR software
~ Tigerlily ~

BrandonB

Re: Weight GAIN after starting cpap

Post by BrandonB » Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 pm

Sorry to hear you are feeling very tired again. "Stay the course" and you will feel better soon!

I also gained weight after starting my CPAP therapy. Like you, I thought the improved sleep and health would help me lose weight. In my specific case, I blamed my continued bad eating habits and not the therapy.

I made a renewed effort at the gym after six months of therapy after what seem like I hit the pivot point and paid off my slept debt. I had much more energy and felt great. From there, I took the weight back off and now, while I'm only 5 lbs less than then, am down two pants sizes!

Once you hit the recovery point, you will find the motivation to get everything else in order. For now, the most important thing to do is "Stay the course!"

I hope this helps!
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Before & After, has nothing to do with treatment, it's just life! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri May 03, 2013 5:18 am

No More Pizza For You!
Bloomberg Refused Second Slice of Pizza at Local Restaurant

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was denied a second slice of pizza today at an Italian eatery in Brooklyn.

The owners of Collegno's Pizzeria say they refused to serve him more than one piece to protest Bloomberg's proposed soda ban,which would limit the portions of soda sold in the city.

Bloomberg was having an informal working lunch with city comptroller John Liu at the time and was enraged by the embarrassing prohibition. The owners would not relent, however, and the pair were forced to decamp to another restaurant to finish their meal.

Witnesses say the situation unfolded when as the two were looking over budget documents, they realized they needed more food than originally ordered.

"Hey, could I get another pepperoni over here?" Bloomberg asked owner Antonio Benito.

"I'm sorry sir," he replied, "we can't do that. You've reached your personal slice limit."
Stop and Tisk

Mayor Bloomberg, not accustomed to being challenged, assumed that the owner was joking.

"OK, that's funny," he remarked, "because of the soda thing ... No come on. I'm not kidding. I haven't eaten all morning, just send over another pepperoni."

"I'm sorry sir. We're serious," Benito insisted. "We've decided that eating more than one piece isn't healthy for you, and so we're forbidding you from doing it."

"Look jackass," Bloomberg retorted, his anger boiling, "I fucking skipped breakfast this morning just so I could eat four slices of your pizza. Don't be a schmuck, just get back to the kitchen and bring out some fucking pizza, okay."

"I'm sorry sir, there's nothing I can do," the owner repeated. "Maybe you could go to several restaurants and get one slice at each. At least that way you're walking. You know, burning calories."

Witnesses say a fuming Bloomberg and a bemused Liu did indeed walk down the street to a rival pizzeria , ordered another slice and finished their meeting.

New York's so-called "soda ban" would have limited the size of sweetened beverages served in restaurants to 16 oz (0.5 liters). The plan, backed by Mayor Bloomberg, is currently being held up by a U.S. district court.

Bloomberg has been the mayor of New York City since 2002. Theretofore he was the CEO of Bloomberg LP, the world's leading financial data firm. His personal fortune is estimated at around $27 billion.
The story is a spoof but the point is not.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Fri May 03, 2013 6:13 am

I didn't lose weight, and then I gained weight - and I was very fatigued with headaches again. . .which weren't recognized by my PCP - so I was treated for migraines instead of "Hey, call your sleep doc, I think you might be having some trouble." (When I'm having trouble, I REALLY need my PCP to be on the ball, because I CAN'T THINK OR REMEMBER and the clue that headaches and weight gain might be a red flag goes by the 'doh' side.)

Is your AHI good right now? Are you having clusters? (Clusters - An hour or so of your night completely racked with apnea events where as the time before and the time after are pretty clear.)

Another thing that I found, and this may well be the problem, more than anything else: Because I was SO sleep deprived before, I ate a ton of sugar to try to stay awake. . .which is a stimulant. After my sleep got straightened out both then and now? Well, I have to rebalanced my diet and get off the sugar because while I don't crave it for fatigue, like I did, I crave it because I have my system out of whack as sugar does that.
I found that cutting all the refined sugar, white flour and corn out of my diet helps significantly with this.

So perhaps there are two things to look at.

Do you exercise? That will help in both the sugar/fat cravings and help you to sleep better as well.

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Fri May 03, 2013 6:56 am

I went to the Dr yesterday for an unrelated to weight gain issue and found out that I have gained about 14 pds since last September. I've been on Cpap since that time. The Dr seemed surprised about the weight gain. Went to the fitness center after that and tried to lose the 14 pds right then and there! I thought for sure that I would sleep well last night and perhaps get more than my accustomed 4 hrs. No such luck. I think I got about 2 hrs. Really dragging today . I too have heard that losing weight is one of the benefits of the cpap treatment. I'm thinking that the weight loss won't happen until I can really get cpap under control and get more hrs of sleep per night. When I told the Dr I'm only getting 4 hrs of sleep, the response was to the effect that eventually things will improve. Sleep problems really seem to baffle the doctors and even they don't have a remedy for them.

DJD52

Post by DJD52 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 am

I lost a few lbs the first week, gained it back the next.

I tend to eat junk when I'm feeling really tired or frustrated, and I've only been doing this cpap therapy a month. Thinking that is not long enough to feel any of the "good stuff" we're hoping for. Tired is still camped out here and 'frustration' morphed with adapting to cpap, but they should BOTH be moving on soon.

My doctor and friends who have friends on cpap all tell me that those on cpap do rejoin life activities with friends and family with a renewed zest and most do lose weight. I'm holding them to those words.

DJ

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri May 03, 2013 9:54 am

Proper sleep can help your digestion to be more effective, so you store more calories.

You need to look at what and when and how much you are eating. I had the bad habit of chewing constantly to stay awake before cpap. Not changing that little issue meant I put on weight after cpap.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

YogaKitty

Post by YogaKitty » Fri May 03, 2013 10:02 am

I have been on the hose for 6 months. I have gained 6 pounds! I am sleeping good, my ahi is usually less than 1. Go figure. I was waiting for magical weight loss, but it's not going to happen here. I am going to have to step up the exercise because I already eat pretty healthy.
I also have used a night guard for twelve years.

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » Fri May 03, 2013 11:29 am

BrandonB wrote:Once you hit the recovery point, you will find the motivation to get everything else in order. For now, the most important thing to do is "Stay the course!"
Thank you Brandon, I will. I'm frustrated right now, but I won't give up.
quietmorning wrote:Is your AHI good right now?
I suppose it's good because it is under 5, but it's not where I would like it to be. I think I could feel better. Right now it's been 3-4.

[quote="quietmorning] Are you having clusters? (Clusters - An hour or so of your night completely racked with apnea events where as the time before and the time after are pretty clear.)[/quote]

Looking at my graphs, I'd say no. It's pretty evenly dispersed. I'm having some kind of event the majority of the night.
quietmorning wrote:Do you exercise? That will help in both the sugar/fat cravings and help you to sleep better as well.
I will be, as I am starting a weight loss accountability. This week I lost 1 3/4", but GAINED 2 pounds. Not sure how that happened, because I didn't gain muscle - I didn't work out. So, again...frustrated. The last thing I want is for my weight to keep creeping up!

I was in a car accident last week, so I have to be careful with what physical activity I do. I'm going to start by making sure I walk 10,000 steps everyday. Exercise is on the agenda though, just not sure how much I will be able to do, or when.

In the meantime, I got a FitBit and I will be tracking my food and making healthier choices.

I'm still trying out the TapPap and I want to keep it because I love not having the headgear - it's so nice!! But, my numbers have not been to my satisfaction. I've even bumped up my pressure a bit twice now. I'm also taping the corners of my mouth.

Additional Comments: Pressure: 11 , OSCAR software
~ Tigerlily ~

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Fri May 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Tigerlily,

One thing I've found helpful for myself when I'm injured (typically from overexertion a day or two previously) is to go to the gym with good shoes and set the treadmill to only 1 MPH while watching a program I like (the gym I go to has TVs and headphone jacks). Assuming your injuries would not be aggravated by such a leisurely pace, this can help you get some activity done without really working too hard. After a one hour TV show, you'll be amazed how many miles you are ahead of the person who just sat on the couch!

While this level of a workout won't really lead to much weight loss, it keeps you off the couch eating junk food, keeps your body warm to work out soreness from your accident, and keeps you more active than slothing.

Regardless, continue to be careful of your body during your recovery (and even after) and don't overdo it!
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:53 pm

I too gained weight. Did eventually lose the weight I gained post CPAP & then some by cutting sugar, fat & processed foods from my diet. Now I have excess weight I still need to lose - refined sugar just keeps finding me at the worst stress points in my life - but I at least I know how. My excess weight now is not OSA related, just related to my bad eating habits. I did find that after starting CPAP when I get my diet in hand and keep trying I can lose weight. Prior to CPAP I was so tired sugar was my go-to for energy, and it was impossible for me to avoid it to lose weight. Its no fault except mine when I backslide. It will be easier to lose after you reach the point where you have paid back 'sleep debt'. At least it was for me.

I've learned that for me anyway, weight loss takes work on my part to watch carefully what goes in my mouth. I try not to buy refined sugar & processed foods, if they are not in my house, its easier to avoid them. Now when I'm at my mother-in-law's house, I backslide since she always has sweet goodies around.

it will get easier for you, just hang In there.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

pianokay

Post by pianokay » Fri May 03, 2013 5:42 pm

I have been on CPAP now for around 14 weeks. Six weeks ago I started Weight Watchers online and have faithfully recorded everything I eat and have stayed within my "point allotment". I am happy to report I have lost 14 lbs so far. I like to bicycle outside or walk, and our weather hasn't been great so have exercised very little. I am pleased with my progress and plan to continue. I have found it easier than my past experience to stay on program. I know I have always done better when I record everything I eat, to keep myself accountable. Good luck to you for the future. I can't say for sure that having better sleep is some of the reason for my success at losing so far or not, but I am encouraged.

caffeinatedcfo

Post by caffeinatedcfo » Fri May 03, 2013 5:58 pm

I like to push it a bit at the gym, but as Brandon said you would be pleasantly surprised how much a daily walk and a well-balanced diet can shed the pounds. Our mom told us "you are what you eat" and it is true! If you eat crap you will usually feel like crap. Please note when I use the term diet I mean it in the context that diet = what you eat. Chocolate and candy could be a diet. I never ever adopt any crazy "diet" plans; it's all about eating well-balanced meals and not over-eating. And remember to reward good behavior each week with a small treat so you do not end up binge eating.

Good luck!

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Tigerlily wrote:Just wondering if anyone else GAINED weight when they first started cpap therapy?
Yep.

I think I had expected to find it easier to lose a few pounds (I was looking to lose 5 pounds when I started CPAP last August -- now I'm looking to lose 10 pounds).

For me, I had more energy, and while I was moving around more (I also bought a FitBit and was regularly hitting 10,000 steps a day) I was over compensating by eating quite a bit more! It wasn't that I was eating crap, but I had increased my daily intake of calories too much. About two weeks ago I decided to once again track all my calories. I've been trying to reduce from about 2300 calories a day to 1900 calories a day. So far I've only blown it once (that damn pizza -- my nemesis).

So yes, we don't all magically lose weight on CPAP. Darn it. I -did- start to have some hair grow back on the top of my bald head since I started CPAP, so there's that.

John