Question about cleaning your mask with Baking Soda

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JO'M

Question about cleaning your mask with Baking Soda

Post by JO'M » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:28 pm

In another thread, DiverCTHunter posted this recipe.

My question is, on my mask, the silicone cushion part is attached to clear plastic which clicks into the plastic on the headgear. ( I have this mask http://www.cpap-online.com.au/media/190 ... ht_web.pdf) Can I boil both the rigid plastic and the silicone? Considering it's a pretty pricey mask, I don't want to screw it up.

DiverCTHunter wrote:How about a box of baking soda

Recipe for Silicone Longevity
Ingredients:
Baking Soda (to taste)
Mask Cushion (May substitute Mask Pillows)
Hybrid Mask Pillows (Optional)
1 gal. Tap Water

Process:
In a 2-6 Qt saucepan, cover Cushion with approx 2" of water
Remove Cushion and bring water to a rolling boil
Add 1-2 Teaspoons Baking Soda to neutralize oils
Boil cushion for 1-5 minutes, stirring frequently
Drain in sink (Baking soda also cleans your drains) and cool under running water.
Repeat every 3-7 weeks

LSAT

Re: Question about cleaning your mask with Baking Soda

Post by LSAT » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:23 pm

I've used the boiling to clean the silicone cushion on my mask. I have never tried the mask itself. I always use distilled water...not tap water. I only boil the silicone for about 2 minutes.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:50 pm

I would expect that boiling or heating the hard plastic parts would melt or distort them. The silicone however, will withstand much higher temperatures - much like silicone oven/BBQ gloves, bakeware and utensils.

Cheers,
xena

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:05 pm

This page gives you information on disinfecting most F&P masks in the link on the right about disinfection.

http://www.fphcare.com/products/flexifi ... asal-mask/

It discusses immersion at 80C, not actual boiling. Of course, that doesn't mean boiling will or won't ruin it.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:15 pm

I can't see very well from the pictures. Are you sure the silicone part doesn't come off the hard plastic part?

You can usually replace just the silicone part, and insurance usually lets you do that once or even twice a month. Maybe you could get a replacement part and experiment with the old one. It's good to have a spare anyway.

The hard plastic part I can see in the the picture looks like it would take the heat, but I can't really see it that well.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

JO'M

Post by JO'M » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:27 pm

archangle wrote:I can't see very well from the pictures. Are you sure the silicone part doesn't come off the hard plastic part?

You can usually replace just the silicone part, and insurance usually lets you do that once or even twice a month. Maybe you could get a replacement part and experiment with the old one. It's good to have a spare anyway.

The hard plastic part I can see in the the picture looks like it would take the heat, but I can't really see it that well.
Pretty sure, I tried to take it apart, but there are all these little teeth on both sides that interlace. I'll ask the RT when I'm in to see her next week.

Thanks!

big_dave

Post by big_dave » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 pm

The first time I tried boiling, I boiled a damaged, unusable mask cushion so I could be sure that boiling would not be harmful. I heat the water to boiling, add baking soda, drop in the mask cushion (and forehead pad), and leave it in the water until it cools down. I clean it before boiling, and again afterwards since it becomes slimy from skin oils. The silicone can be boiled a limited number of times--I'm thinking 3-5 times but I haven't needed to replace it since I started boiling it.

greg-g

Post by greg-g » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:24 pm

big_dave wrote:The first time I tried boiling, I boiled a damaged, unusable mask cushion so I could be sure that boiling would not be harmful. I heat the water to boiling, add baking soda, drop in the mask cushion (and forehead pad), and leave it in the water until it cools down. I clean it before boiling, and again afterwards since it becomes slimy from skin oils. The silicone can be boiled a limited number of times--I'm thinking 3-5 times but I haven't needed to replace it since I started boiling it.
I've been boiling my Swift Fx cushion every 2 - 3 months for 2 1/2 years (Actually I'm on my second the first became distorted after 18 months).
A couple of points, if you boil without Baking Soda everything does become slimy from the skin oils, If its still slimy with Baking Soda you may need a bit more. I use a good teaspoon in a small saucepan with about 2 inches of water.
I use a spoon to remove the cushion from boiling water straight into cold water, I think this limits the absorption of water back into the silicon.
I wouldn't boil any other plastic parts as I suspect they would distort.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:34 pm

greg-g wrote:I wouldn't boil any other plastic parts as I suspect they would distort.
But that might make the mask fit better

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:48 pm

This mask has the silicone bonded to hard plastic.
One more reason to be hesitant about buying it.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -mask.html

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:52 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:This mask has the silicone bonded to hard plastic.
One more reason to be hesitant about buying it.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -mask.html
The hard plastic in most masks I've seen seems to be polycarbonate, which is fairly resistant to gentle boiling. Of course, your results may vary, and your mask parts may not be polycarbonate.

Also if it's "bonded", there may be an adhesive to consider.

I'd definitely want to have a replacement part in hand before boiling the old one.

I've had very good results cleaning silicone and other mask parts in the dishwasher every week, and letting them dry out for a week after washing.

Useful Links.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:59 am

I boil the water and baking soda in the mike, take it out once its on a good rolling boil, add my pillows and mouth piece and sit it all on the counter for 5 or 10 minutes in the boiled hot water (distilled of course). I then take them out of the water and give them a good wash and rinse and set them to dry on a clean towel. I can't believe how "sparkly" they are after this treatment. I rotate 4 sets of pillows and cushions a full week each and have had them for about 2 years...do the math..that means each set of pillows and cushions have been used for 6 months
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:53 am

A thought: most masks used in sleep labs and hospitals are supposed to be for multi-patient use.
Even if the silicone is replaced, the frame may need to be autoclaved. (or does anyone do that any more?)

JO'M

Post by JO'M » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks everyone, I took another look at the nasal part and can't see a way for it to be removed from the polycarbonate part.
Once I have a back-up seal, I'll give it a shot perhaps using Nan Wilson's method and report back.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:A thought: most masks used in sleep labs and hospitals are supposed to be for multi-patient use.
Even if the silicone is replaced, the frame may need to be autoclaved. (or does anyone do that any more?)
Most manufacturers publish multipatient disinfection instructions. I have links to the ResMed instructions in my sig line.

Autoclaving is rare. It's usually either chemical soak or temperature and time controlled water bath.

Useful Links.