Service Dogs for Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jen4700

Re: Service Dogs for Sleep Apnea

Post by jen4700 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:New thread:
Post images of our pets using (?) our equipment.
Can't do that! That would be unsanitary!!!

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:New thread:
Post images of our pets using (?) our equipment.

After seeing the dog pic, I was thinking. Hmm. One of my mom's old nasal masks could be a full face mask for my cat

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:36 am

Chunkfrog, you are a hoot! I want to see a cpap mask of any kind on one of your pet flies, surley you have one or two that you are fattening up for dinner,.....ha can't wait to see the pix!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:04 pm

See Coconut getting some well-deserved shut eye.

One of my patients told me the funniest thing the other day. I diagnosed him with severe sleep apnea a couple of months ago and when he started CPAP he was really a new man. He sleeps better at night and wakes up refreshed and full of energy. On the most recent visit, when I asked how his nights were going, he said: “Great. I sleep better; my wife sleeps better; even my dog, Coconut sleeps better!”

It turns out that his dog use to paw at him and wake him up many times during the night , but it all stopped when he started CPAP. He and his wife think that Coconut would see him not breathing or struggling with his apnea and would try to wake him up so he could breath better. Poor Coconut! It was hard and tiring work being man’s best friend. Now she and the whole family are well rested and happy. Stories like this really make it a joy to be a sleep doctor.

http://nssleep.com/blog/sleep-disorders ... with-cpap/
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

kerriberri

Post by kerriberri » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 pm

ems wrote:... but it's about the way things are said and then interpreted here, especially when it's a new person. No one, the one who's been around for awhile or the newbie gains anything when someone comes across as mean and hostile.
Amen.

I've only been a member myself for about 2 days & I've been disturbed by several posters' repeatedly hostile posts across a number of threads. A BAD attitude can really undermine the credibility of any information you may have to offer.

Nobody needs to be bullying anybody here, no matter how sleep deprived you may be.

Newbies in particular may have genuinely inane questions, but they're honest questions & I don't think anyone deserves the pummeling being handed out on this thread.

Let the Flames Begin. But please remember, that if you bully everyone away from the Boards, you're going to have nothing to look forward to but some pretty boring conversations with yourself.
To quote George Carlin:
"Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 pm

kerriberri wrote:
ems wrote:... but it's about the way things are said and then interpreted here, especially when it's a new person. No one, the one who's been around for awhile or the newbie gains anything when someone comes across as mean and hostile.
Amen.

I've only been a member myself for about 2 days & I've been disturbed by several posters' repeatedly hostile posts across a number of threads. A BAD attitude can really undermine the credibility of any information you may have to offer.

Nobody needs to be bullying anybody here, no matter how sleep deprived you may be.

Newbies in particular may have genuinely inane questions, but they're honest questions & I don't think anyone deserves the pummeling being handed out on this thread.

Let the Flames Begin. But please remember, that if you bully everyone away from the Boards, you're going to have nothing to look forward to but some pretty boring conversations with yourself.
There is inane and then there is really stupid denial and dangerous suggestions like the OP had. It was like telling kids it is ok to play in traffic.
If you have only been here 2 days you didn't see the totally ignorant and asinine suggestions the OP put out there.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:56 pm

I had a dog that NEEDED CPAP. Does that count?

Poor Maggie snored as badly as I (and that's pretty bad!). She also insisted on sleeping in our room (she was the boss--bigger than us!) so it was quite a racket with both of us sawing logs. She was also the queen of gaseous emanations from the other end (deadly, and not so silent). THAT would have been even more fun if she was on CPAP.

Alas she was a good, sweet dog for all of these issues. We miss her (she died after only 2 1/2 years with us of malignant melanoma).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ems

Post by ems » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:59 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
kerriberri wrote:
Amen.

There is inane and then there is really stupid denial and dangerous suggestions like the OP had. It was like telling kids it is ok to play in traffic.
If you have only been here 2 days you didn't see the totally ignorant and asinine suggestions the OP put out there.

BlackSpinner - why is it that you seldom see the bigger picture? KerriB never once mentioned the OP or Service Dogs. What she did mention was the, "repeatedly hostile posts across a number of threads", obviously referring to this one as well. She didn't voice an opinion on whether Service Dogs for Sleep Apnea was a good thing or a terrible thing.

She did say, "Nobody needs to be bullying anybody here...". You do agree with that, don't you?

I doubt she'll be back which is a shame b/c there are kind and knowledgeable people here who would have gladly answered any questions she might have had.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Bulling No, a little common on thinking before posting could be useful. Many thing posred are just bad ideas, basically posting just to hear your keyboard click. Mainly like jumping on 5 posts in a row to add useless comments by new members or guests, when they could be better served by reading more posts, and picking up a better understanding. They would then be in a better position to ask smarter questions, many here can't even correctly tell someone the correct machine they use. Part of the fault for that goes manfacture sometimes I wonder what they are building too, I don't think they care, the more confused they make it the easyier it is to sell bricks, instead of useful products. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

silentsinger21

Post by silentsinger21 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:09 am

I wonder how i can fit my ferret into the nasal mask considering on how there is a pic of the dog with the mask... it'll be a Total Full Face Mask for her she'll look so silly... think I might try it.

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 am

Goofproof wrote: Many thing posted are just bad ideas, basically posting just to hear your keyboard click. Mainly like jumping on 5 posts in a row to add useless comments by new members or guests, when they could be better served by reading more posts, and picking up a better understanding.
Now that I agree with.

Bullying is no threat to the forum. But mindless replies by people who just have a strong desire to post something does terribly clutter up the forum.

Just plain wrong advice should be quickly blown away before some newbie wastes time, effort and money, or even hurts himself, following the poor advice.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Bullying is no threat to the forum. But mindless replies by people who just have a strong desire to post something does terribly clutter up the forum.
Perhaps bullying isn't right word but there has been alot of hostile responses for no good reason. I guess people who jump on someone who says the wrong thing are perfect and have never made a mistake in their life.
ust plain wrong advice should be quickly blown away before some newbie wastes time, effort and money, or even hurts himself, following the poor advice
Hmm, and what medical credentials do you have to decide what advice is wrong and what isn't? Everyone who visits an internet board knows that any advice they read and implement is done at their own risk. And if they don't, that is on them and that isn't anyone else's responsiblity..

And for you folks who wonder why people seem like they aren't reading posts, has it ever occurred to you that reading is difficult for some people for various reasons? Just saying.

49er

ems

Post by ems » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Yay 49er! Just when I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone sane around.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Some here have Medical Credentials, Some have Common Sense, Some have neither, Some have both, we are a diverse lot here. Posting just to hear your own Echo, is a waste of everyones time and energy, but not nearly as bad, as posting untrue statements, or passing on bad info, as true and helpful when it is neither.

By reading the posts here, you can improve your health and well being, but it's up to each of us to pick and choose the value of the advice, and what we want to try, all of what's here needs to be used based on our needs, and our ability to think for ourselves. Our doctors should be included in our treatment, but if you aren't feeling good about what they want for you, you need to make a change of doctors or learn what they have not. You can be a good judge of what's happening in your own body. If you aren't good with that, you can always find another doctor to try. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:28 am

49er wrote: what medical credentials do you have

49er
We come here because the people with medical credentials are failing us in one way or another. We don't want more of the same. We want patients who have struggled with the same issues we have to tell us how they became successful.

I expect, despite the whining of a few, poor advice will continue to be quickly and frankly "assaulted" by people who know better. That is a good thing for the forum - separating the chaff from the wheat. (Or in this forum I guess to prevent being "assaulted" I should say, "separating the wheat from the paleo".)

Many of our successful approaches are not cut and dried and a variety of approaches are needed to suit a great variety of patients. Controversy from this is a natural human condition and should not be shied away from. Get it out in the open quickly!
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."