How to avoid back sleeping?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
soundersfootballclub

How to avoid back sleeping?

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:02 am

Any good tricks out there? I find during my active REM sleeping hours I tend to end up doing more back sleeping which ends up waking me up. I am also finding my mouth drying out lately because my jaw is dropping when I'm on my back. How do you limit your time sleeping on your back?

Ms Piggy

Re: How to avoid back sleeping?

Post by Ms Piggy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 am

if you use the search thing on the top of the page you will find lots of past postings re this. I seem to remember that one solution suggested as to fasten a tennis ball to the back of your PJ's?nightie whatever, but cannot remember the others.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I've tried using a large water volleyball on my back in the past but I will still sleep on my back unfortunately. I did a search initially and didn't see anything. I will dig deeper.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm

I have a friend who tried multiple tennis balls in a backpack...woke up the next morning laying flat on her back on the backpack.

Back in my experimenting days when I tried to stay off my back (ended up no real difference in pressure needs so gave it up and decided to let the machine do its job) I had better luck using something to block my back. I made a "wall" of sorts with something along side my back to prevent me from rolling over.
Pillows and bedding weren't enough...they slide around too much. Tried a wedge pillow...it also moved around too much. I prefer sleeping with minimal to none clothing so wearing something was not really appealing.

I had better luck with using my buckwheat pillow as a back brace. It didn't move and was quite comfortable against the back when I did roll a bit backwards. I am small woman so a single small buckwheat pillow was sufficient for me but a larger person (or man) might need a larger "wall" or perhaps 2 of the buckwheat pillows stacked up. One of those larger memory foam pillows might work also if it wouldn't slide out from underneath someone.
If you use some sort of comfortable "wall" I would think that would be preferable over using something like tennis balls that wake you up each time. Seems like it is counter productuve to use something to wake you up when we are trying to promote not waking up.

So just one idea that I did try that if I had decided that I really needed to stay off my back...I would have used the buckwheat pillow as a nice comfortable back brace.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:14 pm

How about a strap-on shark fin?

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 pm

When I had eye surgery, I was not supposed to sleep on my back for a few weeks. Forbidden. Serious. So I took a large sorta square shipping container, filled it with a squished up pillow, cut two slots in the bottom ends to slide a heavy belt through, resealed the box with heavy duty packing tape, and strapped it to my back each night. It was quite a sight, but it worked.

There's also a commercial product displayed starting at about Stop 6:18 on the Good Morning America video on this webpage: http://www.padacheek.com/
But it looks kind of flimsy. You could get design ideas from it though.

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:39 pm

I tend to spend an equal time on each side and my back and dont have too much trouble.

napstress

Post by napstress » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for raising this question again SFC. I tried bunching up my blankets behind my back. I would either wake up still on my side but with my neck twisting so my face was up (rough on the neck) or I'd wake up in my efforts to roll onto my back. My RDI for lateral-position sleep was 33.5 events/hour, but for supine it was 92.7 events/hour, so I think sleeping only on my sides would be really beneficial.
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

track

Post by track » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:27 am

A couple of things that have worked for me. Wear an underarmor compression shirt that is a size too small and stick a hard ball along your spine....4 " in diameter...if one doesn't hold the ball in place try wearing two of them. I have also taken a back support belt....can buy them at walmart....that is elastic and tightens with velcro...duct tape a football to the back of the belt. Put the belt high up on your chest so the football is in the center of your back. It is very effective in keeping one off their back.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Handcuff your right arm to the left edge of your bed.

I think at least one member here reported actually doing this with something other than actual handcuffs.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:06 pm

archangle wrote:Handcuff your right arm to the left edge of your bed.

I think at least one member here reported actually doing this with something other than actual handcuffs.
Haha, that's a laugh riot. The crazy things we have to do to get a good nite's sleep!

Cotay

Post by Cotay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:25 pm

archangle wrote:Handcuff your right arm to the left edge of your bed.

That actually would be my solution except I'd prefer to tie my hand to the bedpost with some nice soft cloth, but the principle would be the same.

I love sleeping on my back...I pray that I'm not ever forced to do otherwise.

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:21 am

There are loads of different positioning aids to stop you from rolling over, some strap onto your waist some are laid into your back, its just means searching the net for something you fancy. heres something to get you started

http://www.ilcaustralia.org/home/search ... 21&MinC=22

rottyjohn

Post by rottyjohn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Hey I did quite a bit of experimenting with this very idea... used wrist restraint I got from a kiteboarding company (used to dump kite line in case of emergency). Basically a heavy fabric strap with a buckle and velcro. I added a metal loop and strap(actually a heavy dog leash). I hooked it to an eyelet attached to the bed frame.

If you search on "wrist restraints" you can check out the numerous thoughts on it" Some of it quite funny in my opinion...as many folks on this forum have a good sense of humor.

The bottom line for me was that my AHI numbers went down when restrained. The down side was that I pulled on the restraints so hard and long enough to make my hand go dumb. Which ultimately woke me up too. Counterproductive to the goal. I will say it did help for a 3 month period. I opted to go a different route now and went to an APAP to deal with wide difference between side and back sleeping pressure needs.

Best of Luck,
John

Nany Yawn

Post by Nany Yawn » Mon May 07, 2012 5:14 pm

I am still going through trial & error, but so far, sleeping with a plastic, empty Melatonin bottle tucked into the "shelf-bra" of a spagetti strap top worked best. The shelf bra is same in front as back. I woke up feeling refreshed - I only stop breathing when on my back....

What did not work was sewing 4 ping pong balls in-between two tank tops. Ouch ! Unlike the melatonin bottle - that woke me up & stopped back sleeping immediately - I slept on the ping pong balls, until they started to hurt, then I woke up & I was also in pain....

I think I might try the backpack with a larger object inside tonight.'

Thanks for all the posts