Opinions: C-Flex vs. A-Flex

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lea_T

Opinions: C-Flex vs. A-Flex

Post by Lea_T » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Those of you who have tried both C-Flex and A-Flex (i.e., C-Flex+), which do you prefer?

My DME set up my REMstar to be on C-Flex. It sounds to me like A-Flex is probably more comfortable for breathing out, but I haven't wanted to change the setting yet because I am trying to restrain myself to only changing one variable at a time in my treatment (and I just got a new mask yesterday). But if many of you think A-Flex is best, that will probably be my next change.

Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: Opinions: C-Flex vs. A-Flex

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:05 pm

I like AFlex set at 1 the best.

Your machine offers demos of each. Give them a try at each setting to see which suits you the best

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:23 pm

It really doesn't matter what WE think or like. It's about what works best (or feels more comfortable) for you.
I've read lots of posts from people who love A-Flex and lots of posts from people who couldn't stand it.
Personally, I've never had a machine that's had A-Flex.......I use older machines that only have C-Flex......and that has always worked fine for me.

Den

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm

I just asked my DME what the difference was today. She said A-Flex is for APAP mode and C-flex is for CPAP mode. They both reduce pressure during exhalation. This seems to be confirmed from Respironic's own site.

From http://cflex.respironics.com/
C-Flex pressure relief technology makes sleep therapy more comfortable by reducing pressure at the beginning of exhalation and returning to therapeutic pressure just before inhalation. The level of pressure relief varies based on the patient’s expiratory flow and which of the three C-Flex settings has been selected.
From http://aflex.respironics.com/
A-Flex is designed to work with our clinically proven auto CPAP algorithm to improve
comfort even more by matching pressure delivery to the patient’s entire breathing
cycle. Like C-Flex, A-Flex provides flow-based pressure relief at the beginning of exhalation. Like Bi-Flex, A-Flex softens the pressure transition from inhalation to exhalation to provide additional comfort in an auto-CPAP mode. The pressure profile mirrors the patient’s breathing, and with the auto algorithm intelligence, it will respond to the patient’s therapeutic need throughout the sleep session.

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 pm

And looking at http://cflexplus.respironics.com/, it looks like C-Flex+ is a cross between the two. It's got a better algorithm than C-Flex, but again it is for when the machine is in CPAP mode.

I use A-Flex (since I'm on auto mode) and am very surprised how easy it is to exhale after a few minutes. Just based on the descriptions from their website, I would use C-Flex+ if I were in CPAP mode.

Lea_T

Post by Lea_T » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for the opinions and information. I hadn't realized there was a "demo" setting; I tried it out on A-flex and I think I like it. My machine is set on auto so it sounds like I should be using A-flex anyway. So tonight, I will!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 pm

According to the Auto User manual, the following therapy settings are available.

Den

The REMstar Auto A-Flex device delivers the following therapies:

• CPAP – Delivers Continuous Positive Airway Pressure; CPAP maintains a constant level of pressure throughout the breathing cycle. If your health care professional prescribed ramp for you, press the Ramp button to reduce the pressure and then gradually increase the pressure to the therapeutic pressure setting so that you can fall asleep more comfortably.

• CPAP with C-Flex – Delivers CPAP therapy with pressure relief upon exhalation to improve patient comfort based on patient needs.

• CPAP with C-Flex+ – Delivers CPAP therapy with pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation to improve patient comfort based on patient needs.

• Auto-CPAP – Delivers CPAP therapy while automatically adjusting the pressure level to meet the patient’s needs.

• Auto-CPAP with C-Flex – Delivers Auto-CPAP therapy with pressure relief upon exhalation to improve patient comfort based on patient needs.

• Auto-CPAP with A-Flex – Delivers Auto-CPAP therapy with pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation to improve patient comfort based on patient needs.

nobody

Post by nobody » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:35 am

I disagree with this. I use auto pap with CFlex. I didn't like the AFlex at all. It seemed to have its own timing, not to my breathing timing as claimed.
davelikesbeer wrote:I just asked my DME what the difference was today. She said A-Flex is for APAP mode and C-flex is for CPAP mode. They both reduce pressure during exhalation. This seems to be confirmed from Respironic's own site.

From http://cflex.respironics.com/
C-Flex pressure relief technology makes sleep therapy more comfortable by reducing pressure at the beginning of exhalation and returning to therapeutic pressure just before inhalation. The level of pressure relief varies based on the patient’s expiratory flow and which of the three C-Flex settings has been selected.
From http://aflex.respironics.com/
A-Flex is designed to work with our clinically proven auto CPAP algorithm to improve
comfort even more by matching pressure delivery to the patient’s entire breathing
cycle. Like C-Flex, A-Flex provides flow-based pressure relief at the beginning of exhalation. Like Bi-Flex, A-Flex softens the pressure transition from inhalation to exhalation to provide additional comfort in an auto-CPAP mode. The pressure profile mirrors the patient’s breathing, and with the auto algorithm intelligence, it will respond to the patient’s therapeutic need throughout the sleep session.

Starlette

Post by Starlette » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:46 am

Love my current cpap. However when it's time to get a new machine, I may be inclined to go with auto.
Never knew auto has so many options to choose from. I tried various settings with the machine I'm currently using.
The setting that has proven to have the best results for me is C-Flex, 1. I haven't change a thing since I found that setting to be a good setting that works best for me.

Starlette

Lea_T

Post by Lea_T » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Well I tried the A-flex last night (setting 3, because I'd used 3 on C-flex). I liked it okay, BUT my AHI was 16.4 when I checked my data this morning! The night before--first night with the new mask--my AHI was 5.6.

Unfortunately I had also changed the nasal pillows--used XS last night, and Small the night before. Shame on me for changing 2 variables at a time, I know. So I'm going back to Small pillows and C-flex tonight, and may someday try changing just one of those things.

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 pm

nobody wrote:I disagree with this. I use auto pap with CFlex. I didn't like the AFlex at all. It seemed to have its own timing, not to my breathing timing as claimed.
davelikesbeer wrote:I just asked my DME what the difference was today. She said A-Flex is for APAP mode and C-flex is for CPAP mode. They both reduce pressure during exhalation. This seems to be confirmed from Respironic's own site.
Yes, you are correct. I checked the manual and indeed it says that C-flex is available in auto-mode.

*sigh* Yet another reason to be suspicious of the people working at the DME providers.

They also told me I could turn off the humidifier LED. There is a setting for it, but the LED remains lit. I had to prove this to them by demonstration.

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:32 pm

They also told me I could turn off the humidifier LED. There is a setting for it, but the LED remains lit. I had to prove this to them by demonstration.
I'm still not entirely sure about this. I did manage to turn mine off about a week ago, just using the patient menu. The trick is that, after you turn on the machine, the backlight remains lit for like 30 seconds before turning itself off. But then last night I noticed that the backlight was half on... The numbers weren't backlit, but the little humidifier symbol was lit up. Not that it matters so much in my bedroom at home, since there's so much light coming in the windows that that little light didn't bother me. But I know that I got all of those lights to turn off at one point, when I was at camp and the cabin was so dark that the lights were bugging me. Maybe I accidentally changed some setting when I went in and changed my pressure...?

My first thought is that you're just not waiting long enough for it to shut off. My second thought is that there's a place to change this setting in both the patient and the clinician menus, so you might try both...

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 pm

cowlypso wrote:that you're just not waiting long enough for it to shut off. My second thought is that there's a place to change this setting in both the patient and the clinician menus, so you might try both...

From the manual.
Humidifier LED Backlight (Ramp Backlight) - You can enable or disable the LED backlight for the humidifier
number settings and Ramp button on the device.
Note: If the humidifier is not attached, this feature will display as “Ramp Backlight” and control the LED backlight for
the Ramp button only.
Note: If the Humidifier LED Backlight is enabled or disabled, the humidifier icon will always remains on (if humidifier is
attached and heat is being applied), but will dim after 30 seconds of inactivity
The second note indicates it will stay lit. I remembered reading this (since I'm new, I did read the entire manual ) and do know that it is annoying enough that I have to cover it. I may get some red acetate and tape it over it so it won't be as annoying.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:39 pm

davelikesbeer wrote:
From the manual.
Humidifier LED Backlight (Ramp Backlight) - You can enable or disable the LED backlight for the humidifier
number settings and Ramp button on the device.
Note: If the humidifier is not attached, this feature will display as “Ramp Backlight” and control the LED backlight for
the Ramp button only.
Note: If the Humidifier LED Backlight is enabled or disabled, the humidifier icon will always remains on (if humidifier is
attached and heat is being applied), but will dim after 30 seconds of inactivity
The second note indicates it will stay lit. I remembered reading this (since I'm new, I did read the entire manual ) and do know that it is annoying enough that I have to cover it. I may get some red acetate and tape it over it so it won't be as annoying.
Yep---you can make the machine turn the dang blue light indicating the LEVEL the humidifier is running at completely off, but you can't turn the humidifier icon itself off. I've resorted to covering the humidifier icon in several layers of black electrical tape because I find it so annoying.

fur46bit

Post by fur46bit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:16 pm

I just got a new AFLEX machine and have been using it for 2 weeks. I feel tired all the time and suspect the AFLEX isnt providing enough pressure for me. Is there a way to increase the AFLEX pressure? On my old CPAP machine, my pressure was 16.