Getting my new ResMed S9 autoset tomorrow!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleeplessinaz

Re: Getting my new ResMed S9 autoset tomorrow!!

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Well--I GOT MY NEW machine!!! it is the RS9 Auto set---it says it on the cover as well as the SKU numbers match!! I got the Hi5 heated humidifier that connects to it. It looks so much nice than the old RS8 Elite machine that I have. The new on looks like a BOSE system for Pete's sake!! HAHAHAHAA!!

One thing though when I asked about the detailed menu on the LCD screen so I can read my nightly numbers the RT told me that it is not available for me to see that---NOW we all know better don't we. LOL! So she pretty much lied to me at that point and said the doctor would need to order a different machine for me if I wanted to see my stats every day. unless she really was not aware of how that screen works?

I verified that there is a SD card in the back of the machine and it has ZERO hours on it too --I made her show me the screen. So I am excited to get going and using it!! YAY!!

It looks more complicated to work than my old one --I probably won't get it all figured out as fast as I did the RS 8.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:08 pm

That's great! Yes, it does look like a chubby bose. Did you get your climateline? I had only read about people having problems with them and really wasn't too concerned about it at the time. I may look into them though as I work out the kinks with all of this. I'm only on week 2.
I figure the DME's need to make money on services too if they can. I try to remember that many people don't have the interest in understanding how everything works and they want the vendor to take care of everything. I know several of those people that I will probably be able to refer to him as long as he treats me right. I also got a better response from them than the 2 locals I tried.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Lizistired-----I did not get the climateline hose --only the slimline that came with the machine. I live in the desert!! the last thing I need is more heat!! hahahahaa!! I am fine using the heated humidifier since I do need the moisture and I have a hose cover from PAD A CHEEK, so I never get any rain out from it.

I can't belive how QUIET this new machine is--wow---can barely hear it at all. so I am pretty pleased about that feature so far.

Good luck with your therapy!!! You started out with a prestine machine!! Good JOB!!

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks, I can't hear it at all. All I here is my breathing. Sometimes I have to open my mouth to see if its working.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Lizistired---so do you read your stats every morning to see how you are doing? or do you do it only once a week?

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:43 pm

sleeplessinaz wrote:Lizistired---so do you read your stats every morning to see how you are doing? or do you do it only once a week?

Carrie
Maybe you've seen this mentioned already in other threads, but just in case. If you want to keep a complete running record of your detail and high resolution data be sure to make a backup copy of the card no less than once every 7 days onto your PC. The S9 does 'round robin' data recording. It only keeps the past 7 days of high resolution data and past 30 days of detail data on the card. It keeps a year's worth of summary data in the STR.edf file on the card.

Wonderingwoman

Post by Wonderingwoman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Well darn! - after reading this thread I realized I was given an "escape auto" I wondered why I couldn't check the mask fit setting. Now I guess I will have to wait till Monday to call my Dr's office to check the prescription. I have only had the machine about 3 weeks and been too busy with the Holiday's to check everything out. Looking over the paperwork I did sign for the escape.

So am I out of luck? What features am I missing out on? Is It going to be worth it to fight to get the correct machine? I will need some ammo to explain the difference since the prescription was written by my regular MD.

TIA!

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Wonderingwoman wrote:Well darn! - after reading this thread I realized I was given an "escape auto"
Uh, that's not what your equipment picture shows!!

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:37 pm

Wonderingwoman wrote:Well darn! - after reading this thread I realized I was given an "escape auto" I wondered why I couldn't check the mask fit setting. Now I guess I will have to wait till Monday to call my Dr's office to check the prescription. I have only had the machine about 3 weeks and been too busy with the Holiday's to check everything out. Looking over the paperwork I did sign for the escape.

So am I out of luck? What features am I missing out on? Is It going to be worth it to fight to get the correct machine? I will need some ammo to explain the difference since the prescription was written by my regular MD.

TIA!
Here's a chart, showing the difference: http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_se ... patients#s

Did your RX say S9 AutoSet? Yes, in my opinion, it's worth the fight, if you, or your doctor want to monitor how your therapy is going. The Escape Auto will not give you the information that you need.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Wonderingwoman wrote:Well darn! - after reading this thread I realized I was given an "escape auto" I wondered why I couldn't check the mask fit setting. Now I guess I will have to wait till Monday to call my Dr's office to check the prescription. I have only had the machine about 3 weeks and been too busy with the Holiday's to check everything out. Looking over the paperwork I did sign for the escape.

TIA!
Yes, I think it's worth it to try to get the Autoset instead of the Escape Auto.

At less than one month of use, you are still in a good position to get the DME to swap that S9 Escape Auto for the much more informative S9 Autoset. Other DMEs (if your insurance works with other places) would welcome you as a customer who is going into just the second month of rental. A new DME might not be as eager to take you (if they'd take you at all) after several months of rental have not been going into their pocket.

Before you make your stand, research ahead of time to see what other DMEs your insurance will accept and call those DMEs to see if they would give you the S9 Autoset, not the S9 Escape, to fill your autopap Rx.

That way, if the first DME balks when you ask nicely for a swap, you can safely ('cause you've checked and you know you can go to another DME, and the other DME will give you the Autoset) say:

"Darn, I'd really like to stay with you folks. There's another home health care store my insurance works with that says they can give me the S9 Autoset, no problem. You guys have been nice to me, so I'd like to keep doing my business here. Could you check with your manager to see if this machine can be swapped? "

Here's your ammo -- and the reason it's worth it (imho) to get the Autoset instead of the Escape Auto:

You and your doctor want to closely monitor the Leak rate while you are getting your therapy. The S9 Escape Auto doesn't record or provide any "leak" data. The S9 Autoset does.

Good luck!

Good link, Katie!!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm glad to hear you love your S9 autoset. I know I love mine too. I have had mine 2 months so far and I love it. I am due a new climateline hose next month. For me so far I have not had any problems with my equipment. I bought a back up climateline hose off of ebay just to have a back up just in case.

I am also learning the nasal pillows only last 2-4 weeks. Then they seem to get either too stiff or too soft and start to leak really bad no matter what I do.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

Wonderingwoman

Post by Wonderingwoman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:39 pm

idamtnboy wrote:
Wonderingwoman wrote:Well darn! - after reading this thread I realized I was given an "escape auto"
Uh, that's not what your equipment picture shows!!

Sorry - I didn't mean to shock or deceive anyone. The machine in my profile is my former machine from a few years ago when I first started CPAP and joined this message board. It has been quite some time since I logged on here or any message board for that matter. In fact I had to e-mail to get my password and log in just to post my question. I was more concerned about my newest machine as you can probably see.

Hope you have a Happy New Year

Last edited by Wonderingwoman on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wonderingwoman

Post by Wonderingwoman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I'll get the the doc on Monday and find out how the script was written. THEN I will update my profile once and if everything has been resolved.

Have a wonderful and safe New Year.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Wonderingwoman--I hope you can exchange your machine and get rid of the "ESCAPE". That is only a bare bones machine and won't give you any data that you need to effetively adjust your therapy. The Escape was my first machine and after I got on this forum--I learned that I needed to get the ELITE!!! As soon as I switched insurance companies--I got a new machine--thanks to the advice of the others on here that helped me out soooooooo much!!!

Hope it all works out in your favor!!!

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:36 am

Ok---I have not taken my new RS9 out of the bag yet! LOL! I wanted a new machine so badly and now that I finally got one--I am kind of intimidated by it. I also was told that the DME couldn't guarantee that my insurance will cover it since I had not had my old RS8 for 5 years. So I guess I am waiting for them to let me know if it is going to be covered before I start putting hours on it.

If it is not going to be covered--it is going back where it came from. My doctor wrote a script specifically for the RS9 AUTO so I could get better quality of sleep --less arousals etc. so it should be covered but as always we wait for the shoe to drop---

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper