Resmed Not Allowed on cpapauction

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
allen476

Re: Resmed Not Allowed on cpapauction

Post by allen476 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Bad reviews of products wouldn't hurt cpap.com as they are directed towards particular products. I often read reviews before buying a product and if they are bad enough, I don't buy it.

But then I got thinking, I wonder if it is directed towards cpapauction.com only because of the affiliation with cpap.com. Resmed's thinking would be that it was a front for selling their products below the minimum pricing.

That is the only other theory that I could think of.

Allen
Last edited by allen476 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hospiceangel

Post by Hospiceangel » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 pm

It's against Ebay policy to sell something that requires a prescription. You can't even sell a mask, just parts.
Shar:)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow M Radmacher
It is better, to believe in something passionately even if it is wrong, than to believe in nothing at all C Hoong

kf10

Post by kf10 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Wondering if someone can setup an opinion poll about the this Resmed policy? I don't know how to do it.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:49 pm

My vote:
f-word, f-word, f-word
May those miserable blankety-blanks die a lingering, painful death.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:17 pm

allen476 wrote:Bad reviews of products wouldn't hurt cpap.com as they are directed towards particular products. I often read reviews before buying a product and if they are bad enough, I don't buy it.

But then I got thinking, I wonder if it is directed towards cpapauction.com only because of the affiliation with cpap.com. Resmed's thinking would be that it was a front for selling their products below the minimum pricing.

That is the only other theory that I could think of.

Allen
Bad reviews of good products just because you think the company's policies are bad will make all reviews suspect. That would all product reviews are not based on the product's quality, by are rather based on ulterior motives. Making all reviews suspect like that will will harm all users of any company's equipment - a loss to consumers. I fail to see the difference between giving a machine a bad review because you can't get it for the price you want, and giving it an excellent review because you received it a discount. Honest, well meaning people should always review the equipment based on the therapy it gives. If you then want to add a rant (or rave) about the pricing policies -- fair enough.

Furthermore, while the majority of people can do well with any machine, some do not. I would suggest renting a machine for trial purposes before buying it -- and leaving ResMed to be last in the list, should no other machine work for you.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

jmcd

Post by jmcd » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:46 am

A couple of thoughts. . .

I wonder if cpapauction violates a term in cpap.com's contract with Resmed and that is how they're able to enforce the ban. Does cpap.com get a fee when a seller sells a product on cpapauction? In that case cpap.com would profit from the selling of a Resmed product below the MSRP or whatever their agreement might be with Resemed.

I was an independent consultant selling a particular company's product a number of years ago and the contract I signed with the company prohibits me from ever selling that company's product on the internet both while I was an active consultant and after I deactivated. Of course there are ways around it and I've sold my stock using a family member's ebay account.

Unfortunately people with used CPAP equipment can't legally sell that equipment on their own because it is regulated. Cpapauction collected the prescriptions of buyers and ensured that there were valid prescriptions for products being sold. I would guess that there must be some licensing or certification to sell this kind of equipment.

Resmed may also be considering product liability risk too. In our litigious society it wouldn't be unusual for someone to purchase a product, not receive appropriate instruction, clinical care, what have you, suffer a loss and turn around and file a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the product.

I'm not trying to defend Resmed. I encourage people who are unhappy with Resmed's actions to express their concerns to Resmed. Regarding written vs telephone complaints, the organizations that I have worked for took written complaints much more seriously than those phoned in. The thinking was it is easy to pick up the phone, call and complain but those who take time to write a letter must be damn mad!

Tme to put my mask on a have a good nights sleep. Goodnight all.

That's my blind puppy, Crash in my profile photo.

mckooi

Post by mckooi » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:31 pm

One should not trust the Resmed COE that only interested in MONEY by doing all the unethical events like this...these...!
Moved the company from OZ land to San Diego.
Sold off sleep labs services branches assets without giving services.
Listed in Dow Jones and sold off his shares before splits....A very corrupted and greedy CEO.

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/85/3982.html

el_zorro

Post by el_zorro » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Resmed has some leverage over cpapauction.com because it is affiliated with cpap.com who resells new ResMed equipment. It was a business decision for cpap.com to discontinue Redmed products on the auction. cpapauction.com has been providing a very nice service for this community and we appreciate that they demonstrated that there is another way that saves a tons of money once you know what products you need. I am glad I stocked up on my Redmed mask supplies (and picked up a Resmed autopap, for a very low price) before the ban when into place. I will also consider boycott on new Resmed products because of this strongarm approach.

It seems that if there was enough reaction to the new Resmed policy that a new auction site could be launched by the cpap community to provide this service. If it were an auction only site, the Resmed policy may not apply.

I see these items on craigslist every now and then and they dont appear to have any issues with prescriptions.

The supply of these used and (non-DME) sold cpap supplies seems to be high enough that the market forces will figure out a way to get the supply to the demand (for competitive prices.)

I also think that the companies like Devilbiss have a great opportunity to gain market share against ResMed on this. As their products have more capabilities, a company that realizes the power of the internet for medical supplies can experience huge market share gains. The old-school DMEs will realize that as younger generations of patients need cpap supplies, that they will turn to the internet first before they go to brick and mortar companies that overcharge and under deliver on service.

jmcd

Post by jmcd » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:42 pm

It really isn't as simple as just starting an auction site. The equipment requires a prescription and selling it without isn't legal. Yes it shows up on Craig's list but so do people selling sexual services. It doesn't make it legal. The CPAPAuction.com site requires prescriptions to purchase equipment and supplies that require such.

That's my blind puppy, Crash in my profile photo.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:54 pm

jmcd wrote:It really isn't as simple as just starting an auction site. The equipment requires a prescription and selling it without isn't legal. Yes it shows up on Craig's list but so do people selling sexual services. It doesn't make it legal. The CPAPAuction.com site requires prescriptions to purchase equipment and supplies that require such.
The problem with ResMed and the auction site is not the perscription. It is/was people/companies selling below the inflated price that ResMed requires their dealers to sell their products for. They set the price and do not want ANYONE to sell their products for less.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Sooooo....how about everyone stops buying and using Resmed. How many of us are there on here? Several thousand I'm sure, if all of those that can afford it or have insurance all suddenly buy another brand, won't that hit their pocket and bottom line. Are we not the biggest bunch of buyers for cpap equipment and supplies there are in the world? STOP BUYING!!!!!!!!! It doesn't do one iota of good to bitch and complain...hit them in the pocketbook. I for one will not buy any Resmed product again. How many are we....I am one...... how about you.....
Norma
Edit... just checked and there are over 51,400 of us registered on cpaptalk, don't you think we can make a difference!!!!
N
Last edited by nanwilson on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

snnnark

Post by snnnark » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:31 pm

gvz wrote:Like 'em or not, as a public company ResMed has done quite well over the past decade. 4 stock splits, most recent split last month. Nice upward climb. Recession be damned. I wish I had plunked a few spare pennies down a few years ago.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=RMD&t=m ... z=l&q=l&c=
That's it!! I'll buy some shares! No company I've bought shares in has made it e.g. PIN CYTO and others!!! Hell, even Microsoft lost half its value when I bought in 2000.

Resmed, I'm coming for ya

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Bump.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

kaiya2465

Post by kaiya2465 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Wow, I went around with ResMed already. My next machine will not come from them..Sorry

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Spare a thought for us Aussies. Resmed are an Australian company yet we have to more than double for any of their products compared to those in the US. As far as i'm concerned, the more people offering resmed products cheaper online (such as ebay) the better. Only last year, our national consumer protection organisation (ACCC) threatened to take Resmed to court due to anti-competiive behaviour. Apparently, Resmed were demanding that local medical retailers charge customers what Resmed told them to charge which is illegal. After the ruling, retailers here can now charge what they like however i'm guessing that Resmed are still selling their products to local retailers at inflated wholesale prices - maybe this is why there is still such a price discrepancy here in Australia??