Muffy To Present CpapTalk "Views Per Hour Award" To Mars

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamStalker

Re: How To Lie and Misrepresent - By So Well and Bob3000

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:46 am

Where are my foes? I can't read what they are saying about me.

So are they talking about the Lovaza innovation to make omega-3 fish oil a Rx drug or the Niaspan innovation to make Vitamin B3 an Rx drug?

When it comes to innovation in the medical industry ... it does not appear to be all that great regardless of where it occurs.

http://www.medcitynews.com/2010/05/a-me ... -freefall/

Can somebody tell me what I just posted cuz I can't see foe the life of me.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

So Well

Post by So Well » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:55 am

Arizona-Willie wrote:
According to your own chart 7 out of 10 are identified as originating in another country other than America or as co-originators because the company has dual nationalities as I said in my post.
That wasn't the question and that wasn't what you said in your first post in this thread.

I asked a question about your response to Bob3000's post. In his post he does not claim that American pharmaceutical companies are responsible for all advances.

But you said
Arizona-Willie wrote:Many of the " American " pharmaceutical firms you so proudly proclaim to be responsible for the medical advances in this country are actually Swedish and / or German companies.
Bob3000 did not make such a claim.

Willie, congratulations on making two posts. I like people who can post without name calling.

(Ms. Madalot, I know you are still peeking. Bump it up again.)
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:57 am

Well, despite tons of funding (and fundraising), we've not cured AIDS or Cancer. Most of what we have done is aided in diagnostic care or quality of life issues. What have we actually cured recently?

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 am

So Well wrote:
"I question your motives for claiming this simple post is offensive:"

I have not said that your post is offensive. I've just asked you to knock it off with barking and woofing about an issue that is not going to get resolved in this forum and, really has nothing to do with folks trying to learn about, and get good treatment, for their apnea.

I've also suggested that you find your maturity and integrity -just let it go. The topic is dead and really ought to be put to bed.
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:00 am

Since this thread is now at the top again.....You do realize, though, that that foe thing doesn't really help all that much. Ya see, if I come here and don't sign on, obviously all the posts of my 500 foes still show up. And if you are signed on, even though the foe posts don't show, there's still this little blurb that says so-and-so posted something. If you click on it, the post will magically appear. And I found that it is totally beyond the control of my mouse not to click on those and then force me to read them!

Seriously, although I still get disheartened that so many folks choose to voice their opinions here with name-calling and mud-slinging, I have, for the most part, learned that's the way life is and try to respond with humor, concern, or not at all. I'm an extremely opinionated person, so that can be REALLY hard to do sometimes, though!

Last edited by WearyOne on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

So Well

Post by So Well » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 am

DreamStalker wrote:
When it comes to innovation in the medical industry ... it does not appear to be all that great regardless of where it occurs.

As Willie says, you would do well to read what you post. Like the comments at the end of the article you posted,
What a stupid title for this article. A freefall means that what is seen now is much different than what was seen before. Has there been a drastic drop in innovation from the medical device industry? In addition, the whole premise of the article is ludicrous. Frankly, it is certainly a lot easier to come up with a new chewing gum flavor than an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator. Besides, how many lives has Coke Zero saved?

Comment by Paul Stein — May 14, 2010 @ 11:53 am
But there is a bigger point here. The medical device industry is highly regulated and any strategy they develop has to include much spending and time to wade through the regulatory maze.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

So Well

Post by So Well » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 am

WillSucceed wrote:So Well wrote:
"I question your motives for claiming this simple post is offensive:"

I have not said that your post is offensive. I've just asked you to knock it off with barking and woofing about an issue that is not going to get resolved in this forum and, really has nothing to do with folks trying to learn about, and get good treatment, for their apnea.

I've also suggested that you find your maturity and integrity -just let it go. The topic is dead and really ought to be put to bed.
Ah a reasonable post, thank you WillSucceed.

I have no expectations that any political issue will be resolved in this forum. To the contrary, my expectations are that no single political issue will ever be resolved in any open internet forum.

I like that barking and woofing analogy. Fits me so well. Time allowing, I may look into a new avatar.

Woof, woof.
So Well

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 am

DreamStalker wrote:You don't even have to go into the control panel.

Just click on the username of the person you wish to foe.

Foe example. Click on Dreamstalker then click "add foe".

Oh crap! I just foed myself and now I can't see my own posts.
Shoot, it works while I'm signed in, but I can still see your posts if I'm not signed in!

Last edited by WearyOne on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 am

This thread needs an official song:
http://s0.ilike.com/play#Baha+Men:Who+L ... 6dea8891e7

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 am

I can't see any posts now. I must have foed everybody or everybody foed me or something.

I just know there is some idiot posting or quoting something about me right now while I'm blind.

Can y'all please unfoed me so I can see what the hell is going on out there?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:20 am

I foegot where I left the foe button now.

You foes are being mean to me foe no reason.

C'mon y'all. Be nice foe a while.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:37 am

OK. THanks to whomever fixed my foe button.
So Well wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:

As Willie says, you would do well to read what you post. Like the comments at the end of the article you posted,
What a stupid title for this article. A freefall means that what is seen now is much different than what was seen before. Has there been a drastic drop in innovation from the medical device industry? In addition, the whole premise of the article is ludicrous. Frankly, it is certainly a lot easier to come up with a new chewing gum flavor than an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator. Besides, how many lives has Coke Zero saved?

Comment by Paul Stein — May 14, 2010 @ 11:53 am
But there is a bigger point here. The medical device industry is highly regulated and any strategy they develop has to include much spending and time to wade through the regulatory maze.

What the foe you talkin bout man?

Only idiots read the stupid comments written by idiots at the end of a stupid article.

Go drink your snake oil and chill dude.

So Well

Post by So Well » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:52 am

DreamStalker wrote:OK. THanks to whomever fixed my foe button.
So Well wrote:

What the foe you talkin bout man?

Only idiots read the stupid comments written by idiots at the end of a stupid article.

Go drink your snake oil and chill dude.
Every dog needs a bone.

Say, A doggy is nuttin' if he don't have a bone All dogy hold ya' bone, all doggy hold it
A doggy is nuttin' if he don't have a bone All dogy hold ya' bone, all doggy hold it
-Baha Men

(I always wondered how those guys built such a nice temple.)
So Well

PST

Post by PST » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:38 am

Roman Hokie wrote:Well, despite tons of funding (and fundraising), we've not cured AIDS or Cancer. Most of what we have done is aided in diagnostic care or quality of life issues. What have we actually cured recently?
Peptic ulcer disease, to a large degree. At my age, I still recall how much ulcers were part of everyday discussion 30 years ago, something men my father's age would commiserate with one another about. SItcoms and comedians joked about them. Tough guys would say, "I don't get ulcers, I give them." That has largely changed with the discovery that Helicobacter pylori is the cause of most stomach and duodenal ulcers and can be treated with antibiotics. A couple of Australians got the Nobel Prize for that. Proton pump inhibitors and advances in upper endoscopy have helped too. I hardly hear anyone talking about their ulcers any more.

For that matter, while OSA isn't cured, exactly, it is can now be treated permanently and effectively at reasonable cost and convenience. If there were a treatment for AIDS or cancer as good as CPAP is for OSA I think most people would regard it as being as good as a cure. I don't actually expect to see another Australian get a Nobel for this advance in medicine -- the committee goes for fancier stuff than hooking up a vacuum cleaner backwards -- but there would be a Nobel for the flow generator if I were on the committee.

So Well

Re: How To Lie, and Misrepresent People - By So Well and Bob3000

Post by So Well » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:55 am

Roman Hokie wrote:Well, despite tons of funding (and fundraising), we've not cured AIDS or Cancer. Most of what we have done is aided in diagnostic care or quality of life issues. What have we actually cured recently?
There are cures for cancer. When you become my age Roman, you will be hobnobbing with many friends who have had cancer and are leading active healthy lives. Now before the protests come, being cured of cancer doesn't mean you received a preventative that will keep you free of cancer the rest of your life.
« Previous |Home| Next »

Most Cancer Survival Rates in USA Better Than Europe and Canada
Tuesday, July 21, 2009, 12:55 PM
Wesley J. Smith
One of the excellent aspects of the current American health care system is that most people can get immediate help if they become very ill. Not true in places like Canada or the UK, where waiting lines for crucial imaging tests can range in the several months–months that for cancer patients can mean the difference between living and dying.

I decided to do a little research on cancer survival rates, and it turns out USA is # 1. From the fact sheet put out in 07 from the National Center for Policy Analysis:

According to the survey of cancer survival rates in Europe and the United States, published recently in Lancet Oncology :

•American women have a 63 percent chance of living at least five years after a cancer diagnosis, compared to 56 percent for European women. [See Figure I.] •American men have a five-year survival rate of 66 percent — compared to only 47 percent for European men.
•Among European countries, only Sweden has an overall survival rate for men of more than 60 percent.
•For women, only three European countries (Sweden, Belgium and Switzerland) have an overall survival rate of more than 60 percent.
These figures reflect the care available to all Americans, not just those with private health coverage. Great Britain, known for its 50-year-old government-run, universal health care system, fares worse than the European average: British men have a five-year survival rate of only 45 percent; women, only 53 percent.

But what about Canada, Wesley? Canada is the ideal of single payer health care:

Canada’s system of national health insurance is often cited as a model for the United States. But an analysis of 2001 to 2003 data by June O’Neill, former director of the Congressional Budget Office, and economist David O’Neill, found that overall cancer survival rates are higher in the United States than in Canada:

•For women, the average survival rate for all cancers is 61 percent in the United States, compared to 58 percent in Canada.
•For men, the average survival rate for all cancers is 57 percent in the United States, compared to 53 percent in Canada.

Early diagnosis is the key, which gets us to the crucial screening issue:

It is often claimed that people have better access to preventive screenings in universal health care systems. But despite the large number of uninsured, cancer patients in the United States are most likely to be screened regularly, and once diagnosed, have the fastest access to treatment. For example, a Commonwealth Fund report showed that women in the United States were more likely to get a PAP test for cervical cancer every two years than women in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Great Britain, where health insurance is guaranteed by the government.

* In the United States, 85 percent of women aged 25 to 64 years have regular PAP smears, compared with 58 percent in Great Britain.
* The same is true for mammograms; in the United States, 84 percent of women aged 50 to 64 years get them regularly — a higher percentage than in Australia, Canada or New Zealand, and far higher than the 63 percent of British women.

This is a very important aspect of the current debate. Reform is necessary to increase access of our uninsured to these very services. But destroying what works for the vast majority of Americans to accommodate the needs of the few–when that matter could be corrected with a far less draconian approach–must not be allowed to succeed.
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/second ... nd-canada/
Time for the name calling to begin?

Woof. Woof.
So Well