Rainout

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lindakay

Rainout

Post by lindakay » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:31 am

I haven't been on here in months and just came back on because I have a problem. I see right away that what it is is what you are calling "rainout."

I've been on the Comfort Lite for a year. The pillows fit right in my nose and I don't have all those issues with the mask covering my nose and lines on my face in the morning. I have a very small nose and mouth, so the pillow size is a 2!

All of a sudden in the past month there is a lot of water running up my nose and also out of the pillows and hose. Is the humidifier turned to high? too low? What am I doing wrong? I had it only at "2" and have turned it down to "1".... can't go any lower! It doesn't seem as bad now. What causes this?

sanctacaris

Post by sanctacaris » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:51 am

I'm right there with you. Since the weather started getting colder here I've been having intense rainout. I got a fleece hose cover which sees to have controlled the problem of water pooling in the hose and making a loud bubbling noise that wakes me up (kinda like a water pipe but a lot less fun). I still have a lot of problems with condensation in my mask (a Swift), though. If I roll onto my back I get woken up by water dripping on my face.

I'm guessing you'll see a lot of people recommending the much-loved Australian heated hose. I'll probably end up getting one, but I was hoping for a solution that wouldn't cost so much.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:56 am

Yes, Aussie heated hose. Or, you canturn the temperature in your room up - but I think the heated hose will be cheaper.

lindakay

Rainout

Post by lindakay » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:00 am

I learned a lot in just a couple minutes! From now on I'll stay connected here! So this heated hose is probably the answer? I'll have to check into that. Thanks so much for your help!

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:27 am

My heated hose arrived earlier this week, and it has made a dramatic difference. No rainout, no condensation whatsoever!

It was about $89, and worth every penny. I ordered online, and it arrived less than a week later! The great thing about it is that it just plain ol' works well. You don't need duct tape, panty liners or pantyhose to make it work right--you just plug it in.

Buy it! http://www.sleepzone.com.au/

Geocom

Post by Geocom » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:29 am

Sorry for not logging on for that last post. If I'm going to throw around so many superlatives, it's best that I identify myself...

biggziff

Post by biggziff » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:35 am

The warmer the air/water mix, the longer the air can retain the water. Turning down the temp wshould cause the rainout to get worse. Try turning the humidifer heater up each night to see if the rainout stops. A hose insulator will also help.

Snoozie

Post by Snoozie » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:54 am

What about the hose covers? Do they work? I just ordered a small one for mask hose and a large one for my machine hose from EBay at a reasonable price. I figured I can always add a layer of cotton batting or thin foam under the cover if it doesn't work. If all else fails, I will order the heated hose, just don't want to do it right now since I would rather spend the money on a new mask (LOL).

biggziff

Post by biggziff » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:42 am

definately can't hurt. It's really more about the room's ambient temperature. The more you can do to keep that airflow warm, the less chance you have of condensation.

sanctacaris

Post by sanctacaris » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:51 am

I have a hose insulator on the long hose, and it helps a bit, but the rainout's still pretty bad. I think I'm just going to get the heated hose and stop messing around with half-measures.

Twinsanity

Post by Twinsanity » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:35 pm

Since I learned all about "rainout" here, I already had a plan to try. I'm a knitter and wool is a natural insulator. I've started knitting hose sweaters for both myself and my husband (his sleep study is Weds. night, my bet is he'll end up being titrated the same night) from some lovely hand-painted wool. If they end up not being enough, we'll get the heated hoses. I just hope we can still use our hose sweaters over the heated ones.

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Nope, hose covers won't stop rainout. I tried them all, including fleece and wool. The ONLY way to completely eliminate rainout is with the SleepZone Heated CPAP Tube. Don't waste another penny on buying or making a hose cover. Trust me, I speak from experience.

You might as well just order one right now and get it over with. Click on: SleepZone CPAP Products

As you can see the Aussie Heated Hose (a term coined by one of the members of cpaptalk) comes with it's own cover. Also, the manufacturer recommends that you do NOT add any additional cover to the existing one.

So, what to do with all those worthless hose covers? Stuff them, sew them shut, and make snakes for the kids.

Snoozie

Post by Snoozie » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:34 pm

Oh well, I guess my hoses will just have to look pretty for awhile, since right now I want a new mask to rotate with my air pillows. The heated hose will have to be my next toy, though. You know, I'll HAVE to have one (lol) so I can show it off to my DME who said to just put the hose under the covers - yea right, like that works. Seriously, all I want to do is just sleep through the night just ONE time so I will probably be ordering one soon.

BTY, does anyone know how much the plug adaptors cost?

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, DME

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:34 pm

Here's the info you're looking for: Heated Hose Question

Talks about the adapters.....

Oh 2 breathe

Post by Oh 2 breathe » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:00 am

O.K. I just learned something and want to share it. I was getting a fair bit of rainout until last night. I have two complete sets of hoses with covers, and had been going back and forth between them every other night to try to dry them out before reusing them.

I set my humidifyer on 5, the highest setting, and the room I sleep in is fairly cool because I like to save on the heat bill.

Last night I had the inspiration to try putting both cosy covers on one hose. It took some work to get one cosy cover inside the other, then put them on the hose (kind of like threading a drawstring) but I managed it in less than 5 minutes.

I slept soundly and voila! No rainout at all! Plus the hose was very dry to the touch in the morning.

I had been looking into that heated hose many are recommending, but I think now I'm going to be fine with my double cosy solution. From now on I am going to keep using the same hose and will just need rethread it when I clean the hose once a week.

~ OTB

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet..." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson