Taking an age poll....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:37 pm

rainee, the F&P HC 150 heated humidifier will go with any machine. The humidifier comes with a short hose to connect it to the machine. Then you just stick the main air hose onto an opening on top of the humidifier. Everything you need is right there with it. It even comes with an extra water chamber.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:45 pm

Lindas, if you're getting rainout in your mask at a setting of just 3 on the heated humidifier, sounds like your humidifier is working ok. The rainout is because warmed humidified air is cooling off too much as it journeys through the long cold plastic of the air hose. It condenses in the hose itself, or when it reaches the cool plastic of the mask. Drips on ya!

The Aussie heated hose from sleepzone.com.au would be the answer for that. Your humidifier seems to be doing ok if it can heat the water enough at 3 to make it that far down the hose.

Oh, to get back on topic...

I'm a few days older than I was when I first posted my age, but I'm still only 60!

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:24 am

Laura...Good to hear that my humidifier must be working alright, and you and I talked about that heated hose...which I can't afford right now, but will hopefully be able to get one once I'm back to work.

MissAmethyst2U...only 22. My oldest daughter is 21, so you are young enough to be my daughter..

*** Linda ***

garys

Taking an age poll

Post by garys » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:43 am

I notice a lot of comments about people feeling and acting youinger than their ages.

I've always said I worried about becoming senile before mature. At 68, I still worry.
GaryS
CPAP: Invacare Polaris EX with SoftX and EX Heated Humidifier (plus Polarfleece insulating sleeve for winter)
Nasal Mask: SleepNet Phantom with Phantom Strap and Respironics QuickClips

garys

Post by garys » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:51 am

lindas,

I still haven't used it, so I can't tell you how it works, but I bought a tubing insulator from cpapman.com. I bout a 6-foot, blue, Polarfleece model, but the website offers different coloras, materials, and lengths.

So far, my Invacare Polaris EX does not produce much condensation, but on 3 of the 4 nights I tried a well-known APAP machine in an aborted self-titration trial, I got excessive rainout--as well as a lot of gurging noise (that woke my wife, who woke me) and a wet face!

Nights are beginning to chill down here in the Berkshires (our thermostat is set for an oil-saving 61F overnight), so I shall soon be clothing my tubing in Polarfleece and hoping for the best. In any event, it's a small investment.

GaryS
CPAP: Invacare Polaris EX with SoftX and EX Heated Humidifier (plus Polarfleece insulating sleeve for winter)

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:07 am

garys a tubing insulator...is that the same as the heated hose that you buy from Australia? Or is it just a covering for over your hose to help keep it warm? I'll have to go check them out. Let me know if it works when you start to use it. I am also worried about the cold weather coming and causing problems with moisture in the hose. You say it was 61 F over night...I woke up a couple of mornings ago and the temperature was only 2 Celsius which is 35 F...now that was chilly. Right now it is only 8 C...46 F. Do I ever hate the thought of winter coming. This morning I had some moisture in my mask, so I have to figure something out for the winter.

*** Linda ***

garys

Post by garys » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:08 am

lindas88,

I know nothing about that Australian heated hose. These are just sleeves that cover the tubing. Mine cost $15, plus S&H. As I recall, they had cheaper and more expensive ones.

It was ordered at The CPAP Store on cpapman.com.

(At the same time, I bought a pair of Respironics QuickClips--$3.47 each--which made it easy to adjust my headgear once and for all, and to get in and out of the mask without changing the adjustment. As a result, the mask is much less tight on my face, and more comfortable, and doesn't leave marks in the morning. I recommend them!)

GaryS

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:37 am

garys...now I really have to go see what you are talking about...$15 is not bad...but would be a bit more to have it shipped this way.
*** Linda ***

MissAmethyst2U

Post by MissAmethyst2U » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:10 pm

Lindas......Yes I think I have quite a few "moms" and "dads" on here lol the good side to being on here at my age is they caught this very early as I am used to diagnosing my own health probs my docs call me doc lol...I have a lot of med problems for my age and I just know alot health wise and i know when something is wrong and I had been telling the docs something wasnt right for a couple yrs and that I felt like I wasn't breathing and of course they all brushed it off to anxiety (as I suffer or did with severe panic and anxiety attacks since I was very young, we are talking didnt leave my own house for over a yr at one point severe but glad to report I am much better with that) I finally told my pulmonologish that I thought I had OSA and he agreed and told my PCP to refer me for a sleep study. I love my machine and cannot sleep without it! I think I am one of the few who is glad to wear it as it makes such a huge difference in how I feel....

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:17 pm

With the fleece hose covers you will still get rainout. I did. With the Aussie Heated Hose that rested gal recommended, you will never have rainout again.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:32 pm

MissAmethyst2U,

You may be one of the younger ones on this site, but sounds like you have a really good head on that young set of shoulders. It's great that you have not only accepted your therapy but welcome it. Makes the therapy so much better that way.

I, too, have a son who's 22 (my oldest). By that time, you are adult. Yes, you still have lots to learn about life, but you've got all the basics down by now. I think 22 is a perfect age, so much ahead of you to do and see, but enough behind you to know what you're doing most of the time. Enjoy it. It goes by so fast...Actually, I was 23 when I got married (next month 25 years-it goes by fast!).

Feel good.
L o R i

MissAmethyst2U

Post by MissAmethyst2U » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Lori congrats on 25 years next month, my parents just celebrated 25 years on the 27th! They just got in from Vegas last night we had a HUGE party for their anniversayr last weekend with tons of friends and family and all and it was GREAT! They left for Vegas the next morning for their trip! It's sooo nice to see couples who have stayed together that long. I only hope to have the same luck one day

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:43 pm

Aw, thanks, Miss A, for the kind wishes. And wish your parents a very happy 25th from me, please. I'm sure one day you will find the perfect person and hopefully live happily ever after...well, at least have a happy marriage and lots of beautiful children.
L o R i

Jere

Post by Jere » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:57 pm

I am (just) 46 and have been CPAPping for only few months. Wish I had started when I was first diagnosed 5 years ago. Suddenly, I actually look forward to strapping on the mask and getting a real night's sleep.
Last edited by Jere on Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:08 pm

Jere wrote:BTW, my wife and I hit the big 25 in 2007. I am already being 'educated' as to the proper may to commemorate the event!
What we will be doing to celebrate (amongst other things) will be going to the Aerosmith/Lenny Kravitz concert!!! I am a music fanatic from childhood, and have been going to concerts since I was a little girl and my parents took me to the Steel Pier in Atlantic City, New Jersey, before it became a gambling mecca, to see Diana Ross and The Supremes and the Cowsills. But one group I never had the pleasure to see is Aerosmith. Love that Steven Tyler. Have seen all sorts of people in my time, including the Stones, the Monkees, Jimi Hendrix (who opened for the Monkees in Forest Hill Tennis Stadium back in the 60's, before he achieved his own fame), Rod Stewart, Led Zepplin, Genesis, with and without Peter Gabriel, The Police, Don Henley, Mariah Carey, Tori Amos, Alanis, Yes, Doobie Brothers...and the list goes on and on.

The tickets went on sale this morning and cost a pretty penny, but I got great seats and we're going!!! It's been awhile since my husband accompanied me to a concert (usually go with girlfriends), so this should be a lot of fun, especially since we are both big fans from back in the '70s (yes, they have been around that long).

I'm really not sure of the type of commemoration you're speaking of, Jere, so if you would enlighten me, I'd love to hear it. I still can't believe it wasn't yesterday that we got married...did someone say "off-topic"???
L o R i