CPap design flaws

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Maybelline

CPap design flaws

Post by Maybelline » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi CPAP users,
I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea by a very reputable sleep clinic. After the diagnosis was made I returned for an overnight to try different masks and to find out what might be workable for me. Prior to the diagnosis I was completely determined that I would never wear a mask. But after seeing my tape, hearing my snoring, seeing how often and how prolonged the periods of not breathing are during my sleep, I realized to face that sleep apnea was a serious risk to my health. Accepting the fact that a CPAP mask would become part of my life I decided to try to make the most of it. In less than a year I have had two different masks. In both cases they are "pillow" devices because I found that a full mask made me feel claustrophobic. Neither "pillow" mask has been successful for me. I may fall asleep with the CPAP machine working and pillow in place but in the night movements cause the apparatus to shift on my head and the nasal pillow becomes dislodged. So I wake up and try to adjust the head piece over and over. The hose is just in the way and uncomfortable no matter what I do.
I have come to the decision CPAP wearers that the companies who make these devices are in the business of making money and are not a bit concerned with comfort and functionality of their devices. I will say this again and again, loud and clear, What these companies need is a Steve Jobs to design a really good mask and tubing. There is simply no reason that these machines have to be so poor in functionality, so clumsy to wear, and so ugly. What is the real reason that they put such a large hose on the face mask? It is like having a snake to sleep with. Why can't they deliver air pressure through a small tube like the oxygen mask that hospitals use?
Several years ago (2006 to be exact) I was in the Intensive Care Unit after having a "routine" knee replacement when a clot went into my lung and caused my lungs to collapse and my heart to fail. I nearly died and was in a coma for three days. I had an oxygen mask for quite a while after that event. It was livable. These CPAP masks are just ridiculous. Does anyone else agree wih me? Has anyone found a good comfortable mask, and if so will you share with me who makes it and where it can be seen. I am desperate to find a way to stay healthy and to breathe. Please contact me if you have some helpful information. Thanks

Rustyolddude

Re: CPap design flaws

Post by Rustyolddude » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Maybelline wrote:What is the real reason that they put such a large hose on the face mask? It is like having a snake to sleep with. Why can't they deliver air pressure through a small tube like the oxygen mask that hospitals use?
Ever try breathing through a drinking straw For one reason, the volume of air required for CPAP therapy dictates the large hose. We're not dealing with a fish aquarium here. The speed of feedback required by the pressure sensor for the various EPR & C-Flex technologies requires the large hose, there would be far too much delay with aquarium size tubing. With O2 therapy, they are not pressuring your mask, all they are doing is flooding the already 14% oxygen air with more oxygen. If you want a comparison to CPAP therapy, look at a ventilator or someone with a trach tube. At one time, prior to modern CPAP, a tracheostomy with cannula was was used. Considering you only have to wear CPAP at night, in the dark while you sleep and not at social functions, who cares what it looks like. I see far more unappealing images when I walk through the local shopping mall.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:58 pm

your attitude towards any mask is important
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Maybelline wrote:Hi CPAP users,
I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea by a very reputable sleep clinic. After the diagnosis was made I returned for an overnight to try different masks and to find out what might be workable for me. Prior to the diagnosis I was completely determined that I would never wear a mask. But after seeing my tape, hearing my snoring, seeing how often and how prolonged the periods of not breathing are during my sleep, I realized to face that sleep apnea was a serious risk to my health. Accepting the fact that a CPAP mask would become part of my life I decided to try to make the most of it. In less than a year I have had two different masks. In both cases they are "pillow" devices because I found that a full mask made me feel claustrophobic. Neither "pillow" mask has been successful for me. I may fall asleep with the CPAP machine working and pillow in place but in the night movements cause the apparatus to shift on my head and the nasal pillow becomes dislodged. So I wake up and try to adjust the head piece over and over. The hose is just in the way and uncomfortable no matter what I do.
I have come to the decision CPAP wearers that the companies who make these devices are in the business of making money and are not a bit concerned with comfort and functionality of their devices. I will say this again and again, loud and clear, What these companies need is a Steve Jobs to design a really good mask and tubing. There is simply no reason that these machines have to be so poor in functionality, so clumsy to wear, and so ugly. What is the real reason that they put such a large hose on the face mask? It is like having a snake to sleep with. Why can't they deliver air pressure through a small tube like the oxygen mask that hospitals use?
Several years ago (2006 to be exact) I was in the Intensive Care Unit after having a "routine" knee replacement when a clot went into my lung and caused my lungs to collapse and my heart to fail. I nearly died and was in a coma for three days. I had an oxygen mask for quite a while after that event. It was livable. These CPAP masks are just ridiculous. Does anyone else agree wih me? Has anyone found a good comfortable mask, and if so will you share with me who makes it and where it can be seen. I am desperate to find a way to stay healthy and to breathe. Please contact me if you have some helpful information. Thanks

It would be a good idea for you to read over some of the posts pertinent to your comments and concerns. Everything you have mentioned is covered by many posts. Also, why not register and let us know what equipment you are using...you might get some valuable replies or suggestions.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Maybelline wrote:...I had an oxygen mask for quite a while after that event. It was livable...I am desperate to find a way to stay healthy and to breathe. Please contact me if you have some helpful information. Thanks
You might like or at least tolerate the Nasal Aire II; Babette loves 'em so much, she send 'em out for people to try out. PM her if you're interested. She also has a unique way of attaching it and uses her own headgear...you might like all her suggestions.

Mask fit is critical to compliance and you haven't found a good fit yet. I was one of the lucky ones in finding my first beloved (yes, I loved the OptiLife) mask and now my second, plus I don't move around much at night so don't dislodge them.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

MoneyGal

Post by MoneyGal » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:31 am

Finally! I can admit it. What I'm really concerned about with my therapy is how attractive the mask is. (Actually, my kids put Hello Kitty patches on my mask straps. It is very fine-looking, I must say.)

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 am

MoneyGal wrote:Finally! I can admit it. What I'm really concerned about with my therapy is how attractive the mask is. (Actually, my kids put Hello Kitty patches on my mask straps. It is very fine-looking, I must say.)

"Knowledge is power."

Froro

Post by Froro » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:09 am

I don't know if the OP's post was really deserving of an eye roll truth be told.

I'm not going to deny I find these masks and hoses completely unappealing and I really don't feel the least bit attractive having to wear it. While it may not be of concern to many, it does for some.

I grew up with a very low self esteem and in addition to feeling ugly, was called ugly regularly. It took a hell of a lot of work to get past all of that and feel confident in my appearance. While I don't dwell on loafing around the house in sweats and such things now, personal appearance is important to me. Taking pride in how one looks is part of feeling good about myself.

I will freely admit that beyond the claustrophobia side of this whole mask business a significant part of my process in dealing with it all was getting over feeling ugly, not sexy etc. If that is self absorbed, vain, whatever I don't really care. It was (and continues to be) a struggle for me. Those old ghosts may be buried deep but it doesn't take alot for them to rise to the surface.

I reinforce my kids daily that outward appearance doesn't matter, but I also advise them that grooming is also important and looking like a slob is unacceptable in public. Whether we like it or not, appearances do matter from an outward perception perspective.

I am married to a wonderful man who still says I'm the sexiest woman he has ever known, and he can say it until he is blue in the face, but until I can accept myself that this mask doesn't make me unappealing it doesn't really matter does it? I'm working on it, and humour is a huge help but I won't deny it is not a real feeling.

Bottom line however, I need it, it's ugly, it's keeping me alive, so I'll survive. I'll do what I need to do (and I do indeed feel at least 10 years younger) Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

I can also say that if that implant thing I've been reading about is successful in trials (like the pacmaker) I will be first in line to get one. Mask free works for me.
These beautiful kids in my avi are my motivation for getting healthy and staying compliant. Need to be around a long time. See my new blog at http://creativekidscakeslife.blogspot.com/ Baking Blog http://feedingtheravenoushorde.blogspot.com

MoneyGal

Post by MoneyGal » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:33 am

Froro: thanks for your post. I got activated by the earlier post for a couple of reasons, and posted my response without really reflecting. I think the issues you raise are important, and thanks for taking the time to communicate them. I don't know whether it will ever be possible to make a "good-looking" mask, and I'm not sure how important I think that is. But your experience and take on it is completely valid (not that you need me to say so!).

YouMaySayImaDreamer

Post by YouMaySayImaDreamer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:47 am

The hoses and masks we use can't be compared to those little oxygen widgets in hospitals because of the pressure involved.

The other thing to think about is how relatively young this industry is. I'd say there's definitely room for improvement, but that just takes time. Given the steady stream of new people who appear on this forum, I'd have to guess that more companies are interested in what seems to be ab blossoming area of healthcare.

Meanwhile, there's a whole cottage industry of people trying to make the gear we got comfy. It also takes a while to find, absorb, and consider the possibilities.

Personally, I think there's a niche market waiting to be filled for novelty masks. I'd be first in line to buy a Darth Vader full-face get-up.

Jason, Phantom of the Opera, Robocop, Batman nasal gear, and of course the old dive helmet someone has in their avatar.

Might as well have some fun with it, right?
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will sleep as one

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:58 am

I must admit that it took a long time for me as the spouse to get over the anxiety of seeing that FF mask go on my husband's face every night. Although I never said it out loud as I didn't want to discourage him, he must have known my fears because he began to call his mask "Sadie"(his pet name for me, it's a long story ). Humor somehow puts a different face on unfunny situations. I know this probably doesn't help the OP much but I wanted to contribute something.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Claire

Post by Claire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 am

To get back to the nasal pillows dislodging problem. Have you tried any specially designed head pillows? I had to get PAPillows because I tend to dig my nose downwards as I fall asleep and that kept disloding whatever mask I had on when I used regular pillows. To find out more about these pillows, just google PAPillows. The women who manufacture them have sleep apnea so they understand the problems.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:41 am

Maybelline wrote:In less than a year I have had two different masks. In both cases they are "pillow" devices because I found that a full mask made me feel claustrophobic. Neither "pillow" mask has been successful for me. I may fall asleep with the CPAP machine working and pillow in place but in the night movements cause the apparatus to shift on my head and the nasal pillow becomes dislodged. So I wake up and try to adjust the head piece over and over. The hose is just in the way and uncomfortable no matter what I do.
Hi, Maybelline, and welcome to the forum.

First, there is a wealth of information on this site. Avail yourself of the tips to be found to make your therapy both more effective and more comfortable. Search the individual threads, check out the "Our Wisdom" lightbulb at the top of the page, and read the thread near the top of the page called "Where a CPAP Newbie Should Start." There are many suggestions for routing the hose so that it doesn't interfere with your movement in bed. You can also purchase (or make) a fleece hose cover, which both beautifies the hose and prevents rainout (moisture collecting in the hose and/or mask due to condensation). One of our forum members, Padacheek, makes all sorts of comfort accessories for CPAP equipment. Check out her offerings at http://www.padacheek.com.
I have come to the decision CPAP wearers that the companies who make these devices are in the business of making money and are not a bit concerned with comfort and functionality of their devices. I will say this again and again, loud and clear, What these companies need is a Steve Jobs to design a really good mask and tubing. There is simply no reason that these machines have to be so poor in functionality, so clumsy to wear, and so ugly.
Well, of course they are. Isn't every manufacturer of every product in business to make money?

I personally don't find that my CPAP machine rates poorly in functionality. It lets me sleep without suffocating over 107 times an hour (my diagnosis). I also don't find the mask clumsy to wear. Once it's fitted properly and not causing any major problems, comfort-wise, it's fairly easy to adjust to sleeping with an "Alien" on your face. As to the "ugly" factor, I don't even think about it. But if it bothers you, then why not "decorate" the mask (with colored magic markers, for instance) to make it more appealing? Get creative and find a solution that works for you.
What is the real reason that they put such a large hose on the face mask? It is like having a snake to sleep with. Why can't they deliver air pressure through a small tube like the oxygen mask that hospitals use?
As others have said, the pressures we need with CPAP are far more forceful than an oxygen tube could handle.
I had an oxygen mask ... It was livable. These CPAP masks are just ridiculous.
An oxygen mask doesn't need to seal against your face in order for you to receive the added oxygen benefits. A CPAP mask does need to seal well against your face with the much higher CPAP pressure. A leaking CPAP mask is a big problem with regard to the effectiveness of the therapy being delivered. Apples and oranges.
Does anyone else agree wih me? Has anyone found a good comfortable mask, and if so will you share with me who makes it and where it can be seen. I am desperate to find a way to stay healthy and to breathe. Please contact me if you have some helpful information. Thanks
The trial-and-error that the vast majority of us have to go through to find a mask that works well for us is just something we have to do. Everyone is different, and a mask that might work very well for me won't work for you at all. You just have to try any given model to see how it works for you, personally. A great resource for learning about different masks is our forum host, https://www.cpap.com. You can look at all of the different masks they carry and read user reviews on each one to see what others like (or don't) about any particular mask.

A more cost-effective way to try different masks is to check the related auction site (http://www.cpapauction.com) for some good deals on new or slightly-used masks. There are also a couple of mask "Test Drives" going around on the forum here (try before you buy, for the cost of postage). Look up our member Babette and see the links in her signature for more info on that. Othewise, search CraigsList for some good deals on masks.

Bottom line: IMO, attitude is everything with this therapy. You have to tell yourself that this is something you NEED to do in order to live a longer and healthier life (and then be willing to do do whatever it takes to make it work for you). Nobody said this would be easy, and it's not. But it CAN be done, and I wish you the best of luck.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Thanks to everyone who read my post and responded with helpful remarks and suggestions. I am afraid that my use of the descriptive word "ugly" was a poor choice on my part. And to the point someone made that the development of these masks is an industry still in its infancy, I will agree and remind myself of what the cellular phone looked like in 1985. It was very big, clumsy and must have weighed 6 lbs. Now look at where technology has brought the cell phone with advances in minature chips. I can only hope that the CPAP manufacturers & industry will look at the cell phone progress as inspiration in making better, smaller and more user friendly masks and headgear. I wold certainly be interested in helping any manufacturer to do that.
Part of my difficulty with the mask dislodging and creating major leaks is that my nose is very small and the nasal pillows do not extend far enough up into my nostrils. The slightest movement will pull the pillow out and there goes the benefit of the CPAP machine. Both of the masks that I have had sent two or three sizes of nostril pillows. They were still too short to stay in. Does anyone know of a mask that could help me with that problem. I will get a hose cover and a pillow as some of you suggested. I think that both things will add to the comfort level missing now. Thanks again. I am glad to have discovered this forum. I feel that it is extremely helpful to talk to others who have similar problems.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Skippy wrote:Part of my difficulty with the mask dislodging and creating major leaks is that my nose is very small and the nasal pillows do not extend far enough up into my nostrils. The slightest movement will pull the pillow out and there goes the benefit of the CPAP machine. Both of the masks that I have had sent two or three sizes of nostril pillows. They were still too short to stay in. Does anyone know of a mask that could help me with that problem.
Have you tried the Nasal Aire II prong mask system? It has little tubes that go inside the nostrils and they actually inflate inside the nostril. It feels a bit odd at first but not unpleasant. I use a small to extra small in the Swift LT pillow but with the Nasal Aire II I need a medium to medium large.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.