Concealed Carry and CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hoze-Zay

Concealed Carry and CPAP

Post by Hoze-Zay » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:50 pm

First, I have had a concealed license for almost 25 years.
Second, My wife has an NRA certification as an Instructor. She keeps it mostly to help other people who are in her business decide if they are ready to carry concealed. Most don't!
Third, I quit carrying when I started having to wear the mask. I wasn't sure if my senses were sharp enough to make a decision in a life or death situation.
Fourth, My wife now says I should have no problems and I feel that I am ready but there is always that what if scenario in my mind. What if I didn't get enough sleep last night and I am not up to speed mentally.
Fifth, We have both trained at some of the top advanced self-protection places in the country.

Just throwing this out for other opinions..Don't make it a soap box for political beliefs just tell me what you think.

6PtStar

Re: Concealed Carry and CPAP

Post by 6PtStar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:00 pm

I am an NRA and firearms instructor and I also teach Concealed Handgun Course in Texas. I also compete in Cowboy Action Shooting, IPSC combat and Service Rifle. Before I was diagnosed with SA my scores were not as good as they were after about year on the hose. Even with age and poorer eyesight I can still hold my own. I may not win it but they know I was there. On the hose It will come back!!

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:27 pm

If you have to ask the question, my answer would be no.

Hoze-Zay

Post by Hoze-Zay » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:27 pm

6PtStar wrote:I am an NRA and firearms instructor and I also teach Concealed Handgun Course in Texas. I also compete in Cowboy Action Shooting, IPSC combat and Service Rifle. Before I was diagnosed with SA my scores were not as good as they were after about year on the hose. Even with age and poorer eyesight I can still hold my own. I may not win it but they know I was there. On the hose It will come back!!

Jerry
My wife wants to shoot IDPA and I want to shoot CAS so we are connected.
About being on the hose...We have a great range where we can set up all our popper targets, and stand targets.
I think my confidence will come back when the speed increases.

Hoze-Zay

Post by Hoze-Zay » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:36 pm

hobbs wrote:If you have to ask the question, my answer would be no.
Good answer, and I have thought about that. My answer to that is, I can think of situations where NO is not the answer. Think about that.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Aren't target shooting and concealed carry two different things?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:19 pm

GumbyCT wrote:Aren't target shooting and concealed carry two different things?
Yes, but target shooting (especially IPSC or IDPA) is a very good way to get proficient enough to have the confidence if you are going to carry that if you have to use it you won't shoot your own self in the foot. I have had a few sign up for my concealed carry class that did not know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Understood - the point I was trying to make is you can certainly shoot competition and not carry concealed daily. The OP seemed to focus on competition more than the daily carry concerns which was in the subject line.

No problem, glad he's at least thinking about it

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:02 pm

If you don't feel clear headed in the morning , don't carry. If you do feel clear headed, carry. It doesn't have to be all day every day. Carry when you feel up to it.

Brenda

tgzlavistane

Post by tgzlavistane » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:07 pm

When I applied for my CCW permit I did not see any restrictions do to Sleep Apnea. You have the right to be able to defend yourself and I am sure if the situation arises you will make the right decision.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Hoze-Zay wrote:...I quit carrying when I started having to wear the mask. I wasn't sure if my senses were sharp enough to make a decision in a life or death situation...What if I didn't get enough sleep last night and I am not up to speed mentally...
You raise an interesting questions, we with apnea need to consider: how consistant and reliable is our brain, our judgement, our behavior at any given time...is our brain less functional following nights with high AHIs/desats? How does this impact our behavior? We know that mood issues are problems for those with apnea...once stabilized on effective therapy, is that stability subject to flucuations from nightly flucuations in AHIs/desats? Is the soundness (or at least consistency) of our judgement subject to those variable AHIs? Would we trust a police officer or fireperson with apnea who's AHIs are high and who nightly desats enough to give him/her hypertension? Are his/her reflexes affected? Is his/her stress tolerance and behavior changed? All things to think about. I know how I was affected in those areas, I know I am still recovering, and I know that I also take everything not related to my CPAP therapy with a huge grain of salt and try to be especially detached so as to not over-react to situations/ideas.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Velbor

Post by Velbor » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:54 pm

I don't see the issue as being whether or not one has Sleep Apnea (especially sleep apnea which is being treated).

How many of us (with the possibility of those just completing military or police training) are EVER functioning at 100%?

As important as sleep is (as we here well know), there are MANY other factors to consider.
My long-term and short-term general health. My medications.
How recently and how much and what I've eaten. Or had to drink.
My overall long-term disposition and short-term psychological state.

Do we stop driving simply because of a diagnosis of Sleep Apnea? A car is potentially more deadly, to more people, than CCW.

There are times when we should not drive.
There are days when I think it safer that I do not drive, if that choice is possible.
There are times for any individual when CCW is probably unwise.
Depends on the reasons for CCW in the first place. Depends on the risks, either way.

Depends on who you are, how well you have been trained, how "perfect" you think you need to be for CCW (or for driving), and on how well you can gauge (or how well those around you who you trust can gauge) just how "capable" you are on any particular day.

I'd feel much better next to a reliable CCW citizen operating at 60%, than a thug operating at 30%.
There is no magic number cut-off. And no way to reliably tell what your own number is, today.
Besides, adrenaline wakes up those brain cells, fast.

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Mental alertness under CPAP therapy is no different than if you are under the influence of alcohol or medication. From an NRA instructor and a long time CCW permit holder who has trained under some big names; if you aren't clear headed enough to carry, you don't need to be driving either. It extends beyond the carry part of it to the basic handling and securing your weapon. When you are distracted, it raises the risk for an accident. Likewise, the decision to use lethal force "to escape imminent and unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm" has to be made long before you are placed in the situation. If you are unable to made that decision in a relaxed and contemplative environment, you surely won't be able to under the stress of armed confrontation in a fight for your life. In my opinion, your training is incomplete, the use of a deadly force extends far beyond your skill with the tools, you need live fire training under stress, you must have the psychological training that goes with using the tools, along with the resolve to use them if neccessary.

OwlCreekObserver

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Hoze-Zay wrote: ...I quit carrying when I started having to wear the mask.
Seems to me that the time to question your ability to carry was before you went on CPAP, not after. Why would you feel any less capable now that you're being treated?

Just be thankful that you live in one of the 48 states that allow concealed carry permits, unlike Wisconsin and...uh, my state.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Good points Velbor and Rustyolddude! I'm a bit too focused on apnea these days

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.