CPAP & Camping (Battery Powered)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Seven654Three

CPAP & Camping (Battery Powered)

Post by Seven654Three » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:07 am

So I'm going camping in a couple weeks and will need to power my CPAP for 2 night without any electric hookups. Ive done some research and found out i'm going to need a DC converter and a 12v deep cycle marine battery?

has anybody had an experiences with this? I'm not sure how much power i need to be exact (what capacity battery). Ive also heard those black and decker jump starter things work as well, maybe? any help is appreciated!!!

im using a Respironics Remstar Plus.

bdp522

Re: CPAP & Camping (Battery Powered)

Post by bdp522 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:19 am

Here are some links put together by Rested Gal. You will get loads of info here.

viewtopic.php?t=9682

Brenda

S-Dubya

Post by S-Dubya » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:21 pm

I bought a power inverter for about $40 at Walmart. It plugs into the cigarette lighter on my truck and has 2 - 110V outlets. It runs my machine, no problems. If you are going for multiple nights make sure you run the car/truck during the day to re-charge the battery. I have camped with this setup dozens of times.

I drained the truck's battery once, but it was an older battery and we had jumper cables so it was no big deal.

nate fry

Post by nate fry » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:03 pm

hat should work just make sure it is fully charged first. I use the same setup on my sailboat.
Nate

harry33

Post by harry33 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:10 pm

some do quite well with cheap transformers and car batteries, it helps to limit your hours of sleep and to try out whatever you get for 2 nights at home first

a cheap jump start unit with a rechargable 12 volt battery, 2 leads to a car battery and a light has been successfully used by some this has also a 12 volt DC out plug

tha approved deep cell batteries and transformers are usually quite expensive
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:28 pm

I used a 24 lb 35A deep cycle battery from Sam's club. That coupled with a ResMed DC-12 Converter powered my machine very well over a two night period. I am planning a long trip where on occassion we will have a night or two without power. I am highly confident that I won't have any problems.