chin strap for back sleeper to use with bleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
onward60

chin strap for back sleeper to use with bleep

Post by onward60 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:03 pm

Hi. I am thinking about trying the Bleep because I cannot find a mask that works for me. My dentist tells me I have "neuralgia" that makes pressure on my face painful. I think I am out of cushions to try. All of them cause pain. I haven't tried Bleep yet because of the cost, but I think I have no other options left.

When I am awake, I am not a mouth breather. I sleep only flat on my back because of joint pain caused by body-wide loose ligaments. When I fall asleep, gravity makes my mouth fall open. I'm pretty sure I then start breathing through my mouth because my mouth is so dry when I wake multiple times at night.

My sister bought me the chin strap she uses. It doesn't cause pain, but I think it needs the headgear to keep it in place. It's called Best in Rest. I see comments on amazon about it not working for back sleepers. If I am lying still, it is fine, but any movement causes it to slip off the top of my head.

I can't afford to buy many chin straps trying to find one that works. Can someone tell me of one they have used without headgear for a back sleeper that does not slide off their head? Thank you.

Edit: I am asking about a strap that will work with no headgear, not about yet another cushion to try.

Last edited by onward60 on Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently trying airfit N30 (not i)

ChicagoGranny

Re: chin strap for back sleeper to use with bleep

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm

Ever considered taping your mouth shut? It's more common than most people realize. Numerous people here can explain how they do it and which tapes they use.

Chinstraps seem to be hit-and-miss, mostly miss. Even with the tightest chinstrap, the lips can still part and allow the therapeutic pressure to escape.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:42 pm

onward60 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:03 pm
Hi. I am thinking about trying the Bleep because I cannot find a mask that works for me. My dentist tells me I have "neuralgia" that makes pressure on my face painful. I think I am out of cushions to try. All of them cause pain. I haven't tried Bleep yet because of the cost, but I think I have no other options left.

When I am awake, I am not a mouth breather. I sleep only flat on my back because of joint pain caused by body-wide loose ligaments. When I fall asleep, gravity makes my mouth fall open. I'm pretty sure I then start breathing through my mouth because my mouth is so dry when I wake multiple times at night.

My sister bought me the chin strap she uses. It doesn't cause pain, but I think it needs the headgear to keep it in place. It's called Best in Rest. I see comments on amazon about it not working for back sleepers. If I am lying still, it is fine, but any movement causes it to slip off the top of my head.

I can't afford to buy many chin straps trying to find one that works. Can someone tell me of one they have used without headgear for a back sleeper that does not slide off their head? Thank you.
OMG I love the sweet baby on your avatar, first off.

Second, have you tried the P10 or N30? headgear is minimal and you would still need to try taping/chinstrap. Someone just had a new fancy head strap they spoke highly about as well. (Knightsbridge).

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:56 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:30 pm
Ever considered taping your mouth shut? It's more common than most people realize. Numerous people here can explain how they do it and which tapes they use.

Chinstraps seem to be hit-and-miss, mostly miss. Even with the tightest chinstrap, the lips can still part and allow the therapeutic pressure to escape.
I did try that. The tugging on the skin caused pain, too.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:08 pm

Chin straps are hit-or-miss as Granny said. If you ratchet them too tightly you can pull your jaw back, which occludes the airway.

I don’t know if a soft cervical collar will help as it uses the weight of your head to hold your mouth closed. Still, it will be worth trying as it has no contact with your face. Maybe Zonker can chime in…

As Granny also said, mouth taping may be your best option. I can’t address the pain you experience, but experimentation may help you find the taping solution that works for you.

Bleep and P10 masks (only nasal pillows I have used) will hopefully work well for you, but it will take some time to adjust. Note that the Bleep uses “dreamports” which use adhesive to stick to your nose and typically have some contact with your face. You’ll need to learn how to trim them to what works for you. Stuart (Founder of Bleep and inventor) is awesome as his is team, so don’t be afraid to reach out for help. The P10 has contact with your face as well, so there is that concern.

Whatever you decide, be sure to change the mask type on your CPAP to “pillows”.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:20 pm

I am so glad you’re trying the bleep out. The new version preorders are coming this week I’m so excited. Been using them since May and I sound exactly like your issues.
I’ve tried taping and chinstraps and they did ok but caused other issues.
I recently just got the Knightsbridge chin strap, it pushes up from under your chin, not up and back so it’s more comfortable from the get go. It has two straps too so you don’t need to overtighten it to oblivion.
I use the bleeps with this strap and it’s been great, highly recommend.
You can try mouth tape, but I had too much air in my stomach with that I would wake up with my stomach hurting and bloated so much. Good luck!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:25 pm

I think that the online supplier Aeroflow will be the first to get product inventory for the new Eclipse version of the Bleep within 2 or 3 weeks.
Other online sellers after that.
The people who pre ordered last summer are getting the first batches that are being produced and sent out....hopefully by the end of this week. Once all the pre orders have been filled then Aeroflow will get some and the other online suppliers after that.

I do not know the status of Amazon ordering yet....that question hasn't been answered yet.

I would wait and get the Eclipse if it were me....better chance of an easier time adjusting to using it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:29 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:08 pm
Chin straps are hit-or-miss as Granny said. If you ratchet them too tightly you can pull your jaw back, which occludes the airway.

I don’t know if a soft cervical collar will help as it uses the weight of your head to hold your mouth closed. Still, it will be worth trying as it has no contact with your face. Maybe Zonker can chime in…

As Granny also said, mouth taping may be your best option. I can’t address the pain you experience, but experimentation may help you find the taping solution that works for you.

Bleep and P10 masks (only nasal pillows I have used) will hopefully work well for you, but it will take some time to adjust. Note that the Bleep uses “dreamports” which use adhesive to stick to your nose and typically have some contact with your face. You’ll need to learn how to trim them to what works for you. Stuart (Founder of Bleep and inventor) is awesome as his is team, so don’t be afraid to reach out for help. The P10 has contact with your face as well, so there is that concern.

Whatever you decide, be sure to change the mask type on your CPAP to “pillows”.
I did try and return one collar. It was impossible to lie on my back with it. And it did not hold my mouth shut anyway. Apparently I don't know what kind of collar people are using.

I tried several kinds of tape. Using my skin to support my jaw is just not going to work.

The pain seems to mostly be from nerves around the roots of my teeth and some from the hinge of the jaw, so I am hoping taping around my nostrils will not hurt, although I am amazed how high up into the face the roots of the teeth go.

The P10 did not work. It seemed OK when I was upright but when I lay down, the headgear pulled it against my face.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:36 pm

onward60 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:29 pm
The pain seems to mostly be from nerves around the roots of my teeth and some from the hinge of the jaw, so I am hoping taping around my nostrils will not hurt, although I am amazed how high up into the face the roots of the teeth go.
So sorry to hear about your teeth and jaw pain. The Bleep is amazing once you get the hang of it and the Eclipse looks like it will even be better. I’m waiting on my pre-order and looking forward to giving it a go.

Bleep had a trial package good for I think 2 weeks which included the frame and dreamports. I don’t know if it is still available, but the folks there are awesome so don’t be afraid to give them a call and explain the situation. They may be able to help with a trial package.\

Regarding the P10 pulling away from your face, it sounds like a fit or setup problem. Maybe too loose or the way the hose was managed caused it to pull away.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:41 pm

jlsmithseven wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:20 pm
I am so glad you’re trying the bleep out. The new version preorders are coming this week I’m so excited. Been using them since May and I sound exactly like your issues.
I’ve tried taping and chinstraps and they did ok but caused other issues.
I recently just got the Knightsbridge chin strap, it pushes up from under your chin, not up and back so it’s more comfortable from the get go. It has two straps too so you don’t need to overtighten it to oblivion.
I use the bleeps with this strap and it’s been great, highly recommend.
You can try mouth tape, but I had too much air in my stomach with that I would wake up with my stomach hurting and bloated so much. Good luck!
This is very good to know!

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:45 pm

Sorry, I was asking specifically about the Bleep on a different thread before I saw that you guys beat me to it here. So, new Bleep and Knightsbridge looks like they might work. Crossing fingers. Knocking wood.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:50 pm

I use the following tape on my mouth: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJ ... UTF8&psc=1

This stuff is wonderfully comfortable. It removes very easily and can be put back on. I use the same piece for several days as it still works great. This is a smaller supply. For $5 more you can get a 5-yard roll, but it may be best to try the smaller one first to see if you like it. When I put the tape on, I look like I must be uncomfortable, but I don't really feel it at all.

I use the Bleep and love it. I cannot imagine ever using anything else again.

Best of luck finding the best solution for you.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:03 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:25 pm
I think that the online supplier Aeroflow will be the first to get product inventory for the new Eclipse version of the Bleep within 2 or 3 weeks.
Other online sellers after that.
The people who pre ordered last summer are getting the first batches that are being produced and sent out....hopefully by the end of this week. Once all the pre orders have been filled then Aeroflow will get some and the other online suppliers after that.

I do not know the status of Amazon ordering yet....that question hasn't been answered yet.

I would wait and get the Eclipse if it were me....better chance of an easier time adjusting to using it.
I don't see the Eclipse on Aeroflow.

jlsmithseven

Post by jlsmithseven » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:26 pm

Aeroflow is a fantastic company. P10 didnt work for me either.
Just got N20 from aeroflow. Want an easy backup for bleep
Last edited by jlsmithseven on Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:27 pm

onward60 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:03 pm
I don't see the Eclipse on Aeroflow.
I looked as well and only saw the original Bleep. All that means is Aeroflow didn't decide to take early pre orders.
I know DirectHomeMedical has been taking pre orders for a few weeks though...but I don't know when they will get their new inventory.

Stuart told me that Aeroflow is the first online supplier to be getting the product shipped to them after all the pre orders are satisfied.

I would expect Aeroflow to update their website either very soon or when they actually get product to sell which will probably be 2 or 3 weeks if all goes well.

The pre orders went through a company called SureSeal but I don't know who they are or if you can just order from them....I can try to find out or you can contact Stuart and ask him.
There is contact information at the Bleep Web site
https://bleepsleep.com/

Eventually I would assume they will be available on Amazon as well....There's still a lot about the supply side of things that I don't know.
Sorry....I am not privy to that stuff.

It won't help to get the original Bleep now because the only part on it that will fit the Eclipse is the little black bikini thong diffuser thingy.
Nothing else is interchangeable.
Plus those little plastic parts on the original Bleep that are difficult for some people to manage might put extra pressure on your upper teeth area that might be a problem with your potential tooth issues.....that's not a for sure thing but it is possible and why I suggest just wait and get the Eclipse version. It is a leaps and bounds improvement over the original Bleep which I used for a long time and loved it.
Once I got the Beta version of the Eclipse....got spoiled and the Bleep original got put way back on the back burner. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.