pressure range questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozij

Re: pressure range questions

Post by ozij » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:25 am

One hour isn't that noticeable... but when she says "a good night's sleep" and I see her start at 04:23 AM... that doesn't gel... that's what started me thinking. :D

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:56 am

ozij wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:25 am
One hour isn't that noticeable... but when she says "a good night's sleep" and I see her start at 04:23 AM... that doesn't gel... that's what started me thinking. :D
:lol: :lol: Yep, it would set off a few alarms for me as well.
I have no idea how or why the time zone thing might vary depending on where someone is when they click on the link to the report.
The main thing I use sleephq for is for my being able to zoom in on the flow rate myself and evaluate for arousal segments of breathing. It's so much faster than asking someone do zoom in and do a gazillion screen shots or email their entire SD card for me to put in my OSCAR. Other than whatever time for whatever event I might see...I don't even look at the times.

Sleephq is more Beta than anything though so maybe the time thing is just something that needs more work.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:09 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:56 am
I have no idea how or why the time zone thing might vary depending on where someone is when they click on the link to the report.
My guess it that it has to with the publication technology. SleepHq gives us the info through our browsers. And our browsers base the time they show us on our locations. So when I go into a SleepHq linkg, I get told when a person starts sleeping, or has events according to real time in my location.
That's why, for me your post was at 20:57 [8:57 PM in American terminology]... for you it's lunchtime.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:59 pm

ozij wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:09 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:56 am
My guess it that it has to with the publication technology. SleepHq gives us the info through our browsers. And our browsers base the time they show us on our locations. So when I go into a SleepHq linkg, I get told when a person starts sleeping, or has events according to real time in my location.
That's why, for me your post was at 20:57 [8:57 PM in American terminology]... for you it's lunchtime.
it certainly doesn’t help that for whatever reason my CPAP machine is set on the wrong hour as well.

As pugsy knows well I have been trying to upload photographs and have such a hard time with it. I’m very glad to have access to sleep HQ because it’s so simple and quick and easy.

For example the Computer in my home is not mine. I can use it to upload things but I don’t want to install Oscar on it. If I don’t mind bringing the SD card to my office can upload it on Oscar there but I just find it’s much easier to share the sleep HQ.

I have an acquaintance who I just recommended that he get a card for his machine and plug it into sleep HQ. He said he went to a party yesterday and everyone there ( many people) talked about their CPAP machine lol.

That said I went to bed a little after 10 o’clock woke up 7 1/2 hours later. It’s a really good chunk of time to rest and rest well. I’m very pleased and energetic today.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Iamstumped

Post by Iamstumped » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:22 pm

As I recall, (from the video that I watched) the SLEEPHQ programmers use UTC time, plus or minus according to the time zone of the patient. That way we all see time markers correctly, to our own time zone.
There is a video on the SleepHQ YouTube channel about the time zones.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:37 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:59 pm
it certainly doesn’t help that for whatever reason my CPAP machine is set on the wrong hour as well.
The reason is DST.
Iamstumped wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:22 pm
As I recall, (from the video that I watched) the SLEEPHQ programmers use UTC time, plus or minus according to the time zone of the patient. That way we all see time markers correctly, to our own time zone.
Why do I need the time markers according my own time zone? How does it help anything If the OP asks about something that happened at 01:00 AM her time, and I see it at 08:00AM my time?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:19 am

Have I found the right combination?

Me and my 7 interruptions last night are feeling pretty good. I didn't get the lovely 7.5 hours of bathroom break free sleeping time but the almost 6 hour chunk was pretty decent. I am trying to determine what varied and I think it may be that I ate dinner later so the "not drinking anything at all after dinner" gambit didnt work as well.

That said, I am still wanting to learn how to read these. What sometimes looks like a "spike of breathing before an event" when zoomed out, looks very different when zoomed in. (Shorter and flatter and more stretched out.)

Anyhoo.....work in progress: https://sleephq.com/public/9f605766-948 ... 0261a4d03f

Hopefully we dont still have the time glitch in play.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:45 am

The very first central appears to be "real" and most likely sleep onset central.
The hyponea flagged at approx 1:09 appears to be real as well.
The central at approx 2:03.....dunno about that one but maybe another sleep onset.

The OA at 3:57....post arousal
Anything else appears to be arousal related so a maybe 3 "real" asleep event flags and the rest are arousal related IMHO.

Your AHI is extremely low even if all the flagged events were the real deal...which they aren't.
Your flow rate does show some evidence of arousal related breathing even if you don't remember it. As to why...million dollar question that there really isn't going to be some sort of definitive answer to.
Remember it is normal to have an awakening after REM stage cycle has completed so that might also be a factor.
Normally we don't remember those arousals/awakenings but just because we don't remember something doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Overall I think your settings are doing a very decent job of holding the airway open and that's what counts.
Since we don't sleep the same each night you just want a range that takes care of the bulk of the problem and your settings are doing that. I personally believe that most people would do well with a slightly variable range most nights but since we have no way to know how we are going to sleep each night it's darn near impossible to look in the crystal ball to see if tonight we might do better with a 6 cm minimum and tomorrow night we might do a little "better" with an 8 cm minimum at least from a numbers aspect.
From a sleep quality aspect you have to factor in that subjective result as well. We can't really measure it.

My personal opinion....pick a number that gets close most of the time and let the machine sort it out. When we are "close" the machine can usually get to where it needs to be soon enough and prevent the collapsing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:55 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:45 am
The very first central appears to be "real" and most likely sleep onset central.
The hyponea flagged at approx 1:09 appears to be real as well.
The central at approx 2:03.....dunno about that one but maybe another sleep onset.

The OA at 3:57....post arousal
Anything else appears to be arousal related so a maybe 3 "real" asleep event flags and the rest are arousal related IMHO.

Your AHI is extremely low even if all the flagged events were the real deal...which they aren't.
Your flow rate does show some evidence of arousal related breathing even if you don't remember it. As to why...million dollar question that there really isn't going to be some sort of definitive answer to.
Remember it is normal to have an awakening after REM stage cycle has completed so that might also be a factor.
Normally we don't remember those arousals/awakenings but just because we don't remember something doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Overall I think your settings are doing a very decent job of holding the airway open and that's what counts.
Since we don't sleep the same each night you just want a range that takes care of the bulk of the problem and your settings are doing that. I personally believe that most people would do well with a slightly variable range most nights but since we have no way to know how we are going to sleep each night it's darn near impossible to look in the crystal ball to see if tonight we might do better with a 6 cm minimum and tomorrow night we might do a little "better" with an 8 cm minimum at least from a numbers aspect.
From a sleep quality aspect you have to factor in that subjective result as well. We can't really measure it.

My personal opinion....pick a number that gets close most of the time and let the machine sort it out. When we are "close" the machine can usually get to where it needs to be soon enough and prevent the collapsing.
I am wondering about the presence of little weeks right before some of the events. It’s possible that some of them are related? I.e. I get an arousal because of a small leak?

Either way I’m pretty darn happy to be in single digits for events. I’m certainly not complaining.

The first time I ever got a zero I just might have to have a party. Lol you guys are all invited lol thank you so much for everything you’ve done for me so far.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:00 pm

I am trying to match up a Events to the comments above and I’m not sure if we are experiencing another sleep HQ glitch or not.

I went to bed a little after 930 on my chart which was 1030 in reality.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:22 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:00 pm
And I am seeing start time at 8:30 which goes along with my time zone being 1 hour behind yours since I am central time.
When I talk about a certain event at so and so time you need to add one hour to it to get what I see to match up with what you see.....I think anyway.

Reality time doesn't really matter when trying to match events to times from what I see and what you see.

The hyponea I see at 1:09....is probably 2:09 on your report,

And yes...small leaks can cause arousals so if you see a little leak and then some arousal breathing it is very possible the leaks were the instigator. It's why when we see someone struggling with both leaks and sleep quality we advise trying to get the leaks under more control just in case they are a factor in the crappy sleep quality. Leaks may not be the cause of crappy sleep but we have to at least try to rule out the leaks being a potential culprit so we can move on to other potential culprits.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:49 pm

As my sleep doc said, if the leaks aren't bothering you (think sleep quality) don't worry about them. That is if your #s are good.

My own experience is that you can drive yourself nuts trying to explain everything that happens when we sleep. If my #s are good, I live with the mystery of why for nightly variables. Since I started this sleep apnea journey in 2007, things have calmed down/stabilized within a small range.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:07 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:22 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:00 pm
And I am seeing start time at 8:30 which goes along with my time zone being 1 hour behind yours since I am central time.
When I talk about a certain event at so and so time you need to add one hour to it to get what I see to match up with what you see.....I think anyway.

Reality time doesn't really matter when trying to match events to times from what I see and what you see.

The hyponea I see at 1:09....is probably 2:09 on your report,

And yes...small leaks can cause arousals so if you see a little leak and then some arousal breathing it is very possible the leaks were the instigator. It's why when we see someone struggling with both leaks and sleep quality we advise trying to get the leaks under more control just in case they are a factor in the crappy sleep quality. Leaks may not be the cause of crappy sleep but we have to at least try to rule out the leaks being a potential culprit so we can move on to other potential culprits.
thanks for that I was starting to wonder if I was off my rocker because the times werent matching up. And the fact that two of the events were an hour apart to begin with it was really leaving the scratching my head. Lol

I have to say the bleep is the best one so far for not having leaks. But I’ve been going back-and-forth between that and the N30. The other night my stepdaughter came over for a sleep over and that was the best night of sleep I’ve had in ages so I stuck with that again last night. I’m going to do it again tonight also. I am rather enjoying the best sleep I’ve had in ages.

I feel like some of the issues I’ve had with the bleep is that by the time we put all the insulation around it it pulls down on the hose in my nose. It winds up changing the angle and it doesn’t seem like the air gets through the way it should. I’m still working on this and will be going back to it again soon.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:23 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:07 pm
some of the issues I’ve had with the bleep is that by the time we put all the insulation around it it pulls down on the hose in my nose. It winds up changing the angle and it doesn’t seem like the air gets through the way it should. I’m still working on this and will be going back to it again soon.
And this is why I will normally try the simplest fix first and that is increasing the hose air temp.
Avoid that extra weight on the mask.
When that doesn't work well enough then I add the short hose cozy. Right now I have the Eclipse/Bleep short hose with a padacheek hose cozy. Her hose cozies offer lots of insulation without much added weight.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:23 pm
lynninnj wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:07 pm
some of the issues I’ve had with the bleep is that by the time we put all the insulation around it it pulls down on the hose in my nose. It winds up changing the angle and it doesn’t seem like the air gets through the way it should. I’m still working on this and will be going back to it again soon.
And this is why I will normally try the simplest fix first and that is increasing the hose air temp.
Avoid that extra weight on the mask.
When that doesn't work well enough then I add the short hose cozy. Right now I have the Eclipse/Bleep short hose with a padacheek hose cozy. Her hose cozies offer lots of insulation without much added weight.
Thanks. I will revisit the hosy cozy. 🤓

I want an eclipse 🤓