Melatonin and Sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Anita

Melatonin and Sleep apnea

Post by Anita » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:17 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if melatonin is alright to take for sleep , for people who suffer from sleep apnea. Would it have any negative or positive effects on sleep apnea readings particularly ?? Does it relax the muscles , which then might worsen readings ?

If anyone here is taking it and could share their experience vis a vis their apnea readings, that would be helpful.

Many thanks.
Last edited by Anita on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Julie

Re: Melatonin and Sleep apnea

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:47 am

Hi, I take tiny bits at night (0.5 mg - 1 mg - I break 3 mg ones up myself with a tiny cutter I have) because I also take an antihistamine that tends to keep me awake, so need to counter it with the M, but otherwise I'm not sure if it's a good idea for you or not, depending on why you do it... insomnia? More info would help us to help you because there may be other fixes available. I also find that even the tiny bits I take give me a next a.m. hangover til noonish, so maybe keep that in mind.
Last edited by Julie on Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:49 am

I have been taking 5mg for several years...It helps me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. It seems to wear off in about 5-6 hours.

manlymutt

Post by manlymutt » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:21 am

I've taken it about 3 weeks now to help me fall asleep. I take a small 1mg capsule, because the more I take the more grogy I feel the next day. Sometimes I have trouble staying asleep. This is something that has only happened over the last 4 months. I'm switching to a time release in hopes that it'll allow me to sleep longer.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:41 am

Anita wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:17 am
Hello everyone,
hello and welcome to the zoo! juie and lsat are correct. melatonin isn't a sleeping pill, but it helps you to fall asleep.

i use a liquid variety that i consume via an eye dropper. this lets me easily micro dose. i use it regularly and if i remember to, i take some more in the early hours to help me back to sleep.

it doesn't have any effect on one's ahi. but helping you sleep will help you get the best benefit out of your machine.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Anita

Post by Anita » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 pm

bump

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:24 am

Anita wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if melatonin is alright to take for sleep , for people who suffer from sleep apnea. Would it have any negative or positive effects on sleep apnea readings particularly ?? Does it relax the muscles , which then might worsen readings ?

If anyone here is taking it and could share their experience vis a vis their apnea readings, that would be helpful.

Many thanks.
The readings are useless if you can't sleep. Melatonin works for many people, The dose varies from person to person. Start with a low dose and see what happens. It should not affect your CPAP readings.

calusa

Post by calusa » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:47 pm

A few companies sell melatonin in a 'sustained release' version.

That's what I use, because I rarely have trouble falling asleep -- but getting BACK to sleep after 5 or 6 hours is always touch-and-go.

The 'sustained release' version makes it a little easier for me to fall back asleep; no guarantee, but it does help!

I'm always groggy for an hour or two after finally getting up in the morning. I can't tell any difference in how I feel in the morning or the next day whether I've taken melatonin or not.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:09 am

I use a lower dose of melatonin, based on what I've read on the internet. About 300mcg (0.3mg), which helps me go to sleep, and to get back to sleep when I wake up. A lot of times I'll wake up after 5-6 hours of sleep, but can get back to sleep for 1-2 hours. Without the melatonin, it's much rarer for me to get that extra sleep that makes the difference between feeling sleepy and feeling good the next day. By the way, I get the .3mg melatonin pills on Amazon...haven't seen them in stores.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:56 am

please note that since bumping her post, anita hasn't come back.
:?: :?: :?:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Anita

Post by Anita » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:05 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:56 am
Why is that a problem Zonker ? I was caught up in some urgent matters .

DmxDex

Post by DmxDex » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:07 am

Isnt over the counter melatonin watered down compared to proper pharma melatonin? I have used both, and pharma stuff felt far stronger

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:51 am

Not watered down (far as I know), just different dosages. You need to read the fine print carefully. :)

Unless there are different laws/rules in the UK re that.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:28 am

Anita wrote:
Hello everyone,

Many thanks.
If you're curious about something, do a search (above) on it. Not many things have NOT been discussed before.
Lots of reading in this search link.
I've never taken it and don't need it so I can't comment from personal experience.

search.php?keywords=melatonin

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:05 pm

Anita wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:05 pm
zonker wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:56 am
Why is that a problem Zonker ? I was caught up in some urgent matters .
You did nothing wrong. We do get drive by posters that post a question, accumulate a bunch of replies and never post another word and never come back. You're different. you did come back.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990