11 Years and almost no Improvement

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sephiro499

11 Years and almost no Improvement

Post by sephiro499 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:50 pm

Check my profile: joined 7-2008. I didn't post because only until recently did I even know you could 'read' the machine data on a pc. I kept going back to the Dr; I believe(d) in the system. While I've got an appointment early next year I don't have my hopes up. After reading several books and listening to Dr. Krakows insomnia study. Where he took people suffering from insomnia (some for a decade) -without OSA- and put them on auto Bipap or ASV and saw great results. Then I read another book from a Dr where you can have terrible sleep disordered breathing and have treated OSA, at the same time!

Eventually I realized that whatever was going on with me wasn't being reflected in 'the numbers'. So I started looking into how I could acquire my own data.

I know in the UARS/RERA is sort of a big grey area without the hard and fast rules of either 'stop breathing for ten seconds because of obstruction'.

According to this youtube with Dr Krakow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHuKNfc8Pow The ASV/Auto Bipap basically 'smooths the curve' right? I know that just doing 'curve smoothing' might not have the specificity or be indicative of anything on it's own. Hence the grey area around dx and tx? (Again please correct me if I am wrong).

My numbers are 'always great'. I feel and look terrible. I'm tired but it's more a feeling of not feeling rested. I know that not only are sleep studies subject to different scoring criteria etc. Some (most?) would say that RERAs aren't clinically relevant and won't score them anyway. So your 'numbers can look great' but you can still have fragmented sleep and terrible sleep quality. Like I can't get through the day with Ritalin. Provigil just doesn't cut it. Been on Ritalin for 2 years.

When I was first put on cpap I would wake up constantly and have to pee 2,3, sometimes 4 times per night. Yet nighttime urination is a symptom of sleep apnea! My dr switched me to an auto; I didn't feel any better. I recently bought a Vauto and wish I know about the Resmed iVaps because I would have bought that instead. I seriously doubt my dr would even prescribe me an autobilevel and sure as hell would not give me an ASV since I don't have COPD or similar.

I'll be happy to post my oscar charts but they all 'look fine'. What I mainly want an opinion on is my flow curve. I've got data going back 10+ years because the OG respironics cpap is in the basement. Please advise me and I'll provide whatever data I can find.

Have had 3 sleep studies and an MSLT. But my last study has been over 3 years so that is on my list to update when I see the Dr. Was first titrated at 12 and then 14.

zonker

Re: 11 Years and almost no Improvement

Post by zonker » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:03 pm

sephiro499 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:50 pm

I'll be happy to post my oscar charts but they all 'look fine'. What I mainly want an opinion on is my flow curve. I've got data going back 10+ years because the OG respironics cpap is in the basement. Please advise me and I'll provide whatever data I can find.
i don't mean this in an offhand manner, but what do you mean by "they all 'look fine'"? what does this mean to you? i've found people in the past say it's all good, then post something 3.2 ahi or something.

here is basically how the experts here want the charts to look-

wiki/index.php/Oscar:organize

good luck!

oh and they'll prolly want them highlighted in some manner, but please start with the organization indicated in the link.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:03 pm

sephiro499 wrote:
When I was first put on cpap I would wake up constantly and have to pee 2,3, sometimes 4 times per night. Yet nighttime urination is a symptom of sleep apnea!
Just because you're "on cpap" doesn't mean it's working. Similarly to just because you're wearing glasses doesn't mean that you can see... if they're the wrong prescription, you still won't be able to see.
sephiro499 wrote:
I recently bought a Vauto and wish I know about the Resmed iVaps because I would have bought that instead.
Ugh, I wouldn't want to have to sleep with an iVAPS if I didn't have to. The VAuto is the best machine for people that don't have central apnea or lung conditions.
sephiro499 wrote:
I seriously doubt my dr would even prescribe me an autobilevel
But, you already have one.... I thought you said.
sephiro499 wrote:
and sure as hell would not give me an ASV since I don't have COPD or similar.
ASVs aren't for people with COPD. they need an iVAPS or a S mode with different settings from normal folks.
sephiro499 wrote:
I'll be happy to post my oscar charts but they all 'look fine'.
post a couple anyway.
sephiro499 wrote:
What I mainly want an opinion on is my flow curve.
Why? Again, post charts.
sephiro499 wrote:
I've got data going back 10+ years because the OG respironics cpap is in the basement. Please advise me and I'll provide whatever data I can find.
See above, data from 10 years ago is pretty much useless, we can't go back and change what was happening to you 10 years ago.
sephiro499 wrote:
Have had 3 sleep studies and an MSLT. But my last study has been over 3 years so that is on my list to update when I see the Dr. Was first titrated at 12 and then 14.
Well, yeah, if the first three didn't fix things, maybe the fourth, fifth, or tenth will.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sephiro499

Post by sephiro499 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 pm

zonker wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:03 pm
sephiro499 wrote:

i don't mean this in an offhand manner, but what do you mean by "they all 'look fine'"? what does this mean to you? i've found people in the past say it's all good, then post something 3.2 ahi or something.
Staff prints out a summary from Encoreviewer. Dr looks at summary and says "your numbers are great". I bought the vauto because someone on Reddit suggested it. I followed the Resmed titration guide available online. The vauto didn't come with an SD card so no data. Will have an SD card by end of the week.
Attachments
spt 27 2019.png
spt 27 2019.png (166.68 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
nov 22 2019.png
nov 22 2019.png (163.78 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
dec 5 2019.png
dec 5 2019.png (154.58 KiB) Viewed 1374 times

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Your numbers are fine... but, there's sometimes... maybe even often, more to it than just the numbers.... specifically for you, your flow rate is pretty variable, leading me to think there's room for improvement, ... I want to see what the VAuto does.

I'd *guess* a decent starting point would be minepap 12, PS 4, and maxIPAP 25.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sephiro499

Post by sephiro499 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:40 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:48 pm
Your numbers are fine... but, there's sometimes... maybe even often, more to it than just the numbers.... specifically for you, your flow rate is pretty variable, leading me to think there's room for improvement, ... I want to see what the VAuto does.

Was reading my sleep studies and wanted to share the information.

First sleep study was a split night but couldn't because efficiency was at 50%. Sleep time was 3.5hrs. But all of my Apneas were central. 100 Hypopneas, 51 RERAs. Total Res Events 156.

Second study 4.5hrs asleep. Went from 4-11cm. But I spent 2hrs on 5 then 2hrs on 9. Only spent 6 minutes in 10 and 3 in 11.

Third study slept 2hrs. 32mins N1, 85mins N2, 5mins N3, 0mins REM. I spent 0 min in REM?! Titrated 12-16. Yet I only had 1 RERA on 12cm and 0 other events on any other pressure.

Is it fair to say I may be overtitrated?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:29 pm

sephiro499 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:40 pm
palerider wrote:

First sleep study was a split night but couldn't because efficiency was at 50%. Sleep time was 3.5hrs. But all of my Apneas were central. 100 Hypopneas, 51 RERAs. Total Res Events 156.

Second study 4.5hrs asleep. Went from 4-11cm. But I spent 2hrs on 5 then 2hrs on 9. Only spent 6 minutes in 10 and 3 in 11.

Third study slept 2hrs. 32mins N1, 85mins N2, 5mins N3, 0mins REM. I spent 0 min in REM?! Titrated 12-16. Yet I only had 1 RERA on 12cm and 0 other events on any other pressure.

"titrated" means, effectively, 'measured'.. so, no.

Also, having too much pressure isn't likely to cause bad, uneven breathing like that. in a small percentage, pressure, even low pressure, can cause emergent central apnea, but your central apnea is completely insignificant at this point.

You can use any old SD card in the VAuto, btw.

sephiro499

Post by sephiro499 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:39 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:29 pm
sephiro499 wrote:
palerider wrote:

Also, having too much pressure isn't likely to cause bad, uneven breathing like that. in a small percentage, pressure, even low pressure, can cause emergent central apnea, but your central apnea is completely insignificant at this point.

Ok I appreciate your analysis. I'm going to backup the save data and take the SD card out of my 3ds game console. I know I'm getting a new one in 2 days, so I'll be able to capture data tonight!

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:52 pm

sephiro499 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:39 pm

Ok I appreciate your analysis. I'm going to backup the save data and take the SD card out of my 3ds game console. I know I'm getting a new one in 2 days, so I'll be able to capture data tonight!
so, santa knows you've been good?
:wink:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:18 pm

sephiro499 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:39 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:29 pm
sephiro499 wrote:
palerider wrote:

If there's room on the SD card, the VAuto should just write what it needs, and not mess with your 3ds data.

sephiro499

Post by sephiro499 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:22 am

I really struggled with leaks last night. Swapped my pillows to a nasal mask then back agian. Was so tired I took a nap at 10.45 slept some then woke up for a bit then went back to sleep. My mouth was really dry this morning. Maybe opening my mouth? Will do mouth taping tonight.
Attachments
dec 23 2019.png
dec 23 2019.png (181.66 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:03 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a flatter VAuto trace... for tonight, try dropping the minepap down by 1.

On your Oscar chart, do a right click on the y axis for the leaks chart and turn on the dotted line at 24lpm. (that's what the leaks should be under)... it makes a little more sense of the chart and what's "ok" leak and what's "too much".

sephiro499

Post by sephiro499 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:57 am

Only Santa can fix these leaks.... I use a swift FX nasal pillows. They fit ok it seems until I fall asleep and my upper lip (which it rests against) relaxes. I have other masks but it seems like I'm either never able to fit them properly or they just don't 'work' for me.

I think part of the problem is the 'climate line?' on this new Resmed machine is less flexible than the one from my Respironics machine. I've also noticed the climateline is thinner? The resmed line is a right angle. Can I use a straight tube with it?

Merry Christmas Everyone :D
Attachments
dec 24 2019.png
dec 24 2019.png (167.16 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:33 pm

sephiro499 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:57 am
Only Santa can fix these leaks.... I use a swift FX nasal pillows. They fit ok it seems until I fall asleep and my upper lip (which it rests against) relaxes. I have other masks but it seems like I'm either never able to fit them properly or they just don't 'work' for me.

I think part of the problem is the 'climate line?' on this new Resmed machine is less flexible than the one from my Respironics machine. I've also noticed the climateline is thinner? The resmed line is a right angle. Can I use a straight tube with it?

Merry Christmas Everyone :D
Yes, you can use a plain tube, you can also toss your climateline into the dryer for a minute up to a minute and a half.. (possibly two depending on how hot your dryer gets, how fast... check the hose after a minute and every 15-30 seconds afterwards, and take it out when it looses it's stiffness.

If you use a plain tube, be sure to set the tube type on the machine, otherwise your pressures will be way off.

If it's as you think, your 'upper lip relaxing', then fit the mask with your face (and lip) relaxed.

sephiro499

Post by sephiro499 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Tonight I will try small pillows instead of medium. I found a very informative fitment guide by Resmed (swift fx nasal pillows) on youtube; far better than the 4 image pictogram I was previously able to find. Unfortunately I can not fit the headgear like the video but I came close.

I have a very long narrow face and was excited to try the p30i. It isn't big enough and they don't make anything bigger than standard (for the headgear). I hope the medium dreamwear headgear will fit when I receive it.

Half way through the night I will check the SD card so as to intervene mid-night to try to stop any leaks.