Do you keep a running record of your results – Looking for advice

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MarkMyWords

Do you keep a running record of your results – Looking for advice

Post by MarkMyWords » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 am

I’m waiting for my first CPAP machine to arrive ( ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet ) and I’m thinking about making some sort of daily record / log of of how things go.

I have downloaded the OSCAR software onto my computer and have a SD card to insert in the machine. I was thinking of some how keeping a written / printed record of my daily progress and results.

Any one else keep a running record of your results and progress - if so what format / system / style - do your use.

Any advice / suggestions please

Sheriff Buford

Re: Do you keep a running record of your results – Looking for advice

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:26 am

I download Oscar (old sleepyhead) maybe 2 or 3 times a year. On a daily basis, I use a spiral notebook, and record nightly readings which is on the led screen of my machine. I have a column, for hours slept, the three AHI readings, My 95 percentile, leak rate and trips to the bathroom. I use the spiral notebook to record when I changed out my cushion, when I ordered, received equipment. I'll also record and major events that may or may not have affected my quality of sleep.

Sheriff

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:36 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:26 am
I download Oscar (old sleepyhead) maybe 2 or 3 times a year. On a daily basis, I use a spiral notebook, and record nightly readings which is on the led screen of my machine. I have a column, for hours slept, the three AHI readings, My 95 percentile, leak rate and trips to the bathroom. I use the spiral notebook to record when I changed out my cushion, when I ordered, received equipment. I'll also record and major events that may or may not have affected my quality of sleep.

Sheriff
I should do this also but I don’t. I do however check my data on Oscar. I used sleepyhead in the past. I never know when I should replace my mask. I use it several months then I notice that it leaks and I have to tighten my mask tighter than normal. I then replaced the mask. It would be much better if I replaced on a more regular basis.
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:34 am

My personal opinion is that it's useless to keep old records....why do you care what your AHI was on a specific day a year or two ago? I'm interested in what mine is now. Your CPAP keeps at least a year on the SD card and Oscar keeps your records.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 am

OSCAR does this for you.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:11 am

I don’t currently keep any records beyond Oscar. However, I do look at Oscar most mornings while I still remember how I think I slept, how often and for how long I was awake, etc.

I could see value in keeping a journal of such thoughts to review against Oscar later.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:34 am

I used Sleepyhead daily when I started using CPAP in order to fine tune treatment. Over time I've gone from uploading and viewing the information daily to weekly and now to every other month. I didn't consider keeping any other sort of records, because Sleepyhead (now OSCAR) stores and summarizes that information for me. I can view summaries, I can view graphs, I can look at a specific night in as much detail as I could ever desire. I don't know what purpose would be served by keeping a separate paper and pencil summary.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:07 am

For those using Oscar, is there a place for daily notes? Otherwise, especially for new people, tracking variables that aren't actual data can be helpful when troubleshooting. I have at times kept a sleep journal at the doc's request, a food tracking journal, a limb movement theory testing journal, etc. but was not good at maintaining them for very long once they became monotonous. We're all wired different. I think my wiring must be confused because sometimes I thrive on seeing info in a conscise orderly fashion. Other times it makes my head swim. Whatever works. I'd say if it makes you feel more in control while things are new, go for it. If it becomes more burdensome than helpful, drop it. Good luck with things.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:12 am

I am retired with a lot of time on my hands, and am slightly OCD. I track my day to day statistics in a spread sheet. I found this to be helpful when I first started and was making changes to my pressure. I would make changes based on trends, not one night readings. I would go at least two weeks between changes. If a change made things better, I would keep it for a month or so, then try something else. I could stop tracking things at this point, but as I said, I am slightly OCD. This trait seems to run in the family. At least two of my brothers were the same way.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 am

kteague wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:07 am
For those using Oscar, is there a place for daily notes? Otherwise, especially for new people, tracking variables that aren't actual data can be helpful when troubleshooting. I have at times kept a sleep journal at the doc's request, a food tracking journal, a limb movement theory testing journal, etc. but was not good at maintaining them for very long once they became monotonous. We're all wired different. I think my wiring must be confused because sometimes I thrive on seeing info in a conscise orderly fashion. Other times it makes my head swim. Whatever works. I'd say if it makes you feel more in control while things are new, go for it. If it becomes more burdensome than helpful, drop it. Good luck with things.

This could be great to put when mask was changed.

Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 am

MarkMyWords wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 am
I was thinking of some how keeping a written / printed record of my daily progress and results.
As others mentioned, OSCAR keeps track of it for you. There are 13 statistics plus daily graphs. Below is only a sample of what is available. You can also drill down and get some very interesting detail.

Now, a few people keep a separate journal of their activities, medication changes, foods and beverages consumed, and other things they think may affect their sleep.
oscar overview.JPG

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 am

Personally, I am very prone to false CA events when I’m awake or awake. This stems from a lifelong bad habit of holding my breath when I’m moving. I have to be very purposeful about breathing when I exercise, otherwise I might go through a full set on one breath. Of course, that’s kind of helpful when swimming - I can swim a long way under water on one breath if the stroke is efficient. However, I don’t hold my breath when actually asleep.

If I just look at the numbers, central apnea looks like a much bigger problem than it really is. I do start getting real centrals if I spend much time over 15. Other than that, I usually get only one or two a night.

I usually wake up earlier than I want to or should though. If I lie there awake, trying to go back to sleep, I will start racking up centrals the moment my mind wanders. My AHI typically doubles or triples after I wake up.

Of course, everyone has some “sleep wake junk” when waking up, but I’m talking about false centrals while wide awake.

One way or another, is important to take stuff like that into account, whether adjusting your own treatment or when talking to your doctor.

Some provision for notes in Oscar would be very handy.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:04 am

MarkMyWords wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 am
I’m waiting for my first CPAP machine to arrive ( ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet ) and I’m thinking about making some sort of daily record / log of of how things go.

I have downloaded the OSCAR software onto my computer and have a SD card to insert in the machine. I was thinking of some how keeping a written / printed record of my daily progress and results.

Any one else keep a running record of your results and progress - if so what format / system / style - do your use.

Any advice / suggestions please
Absolutely!
I have the software downloads for every night since I started therapy (May 14, 2005).
One of the main reasons I've kept all of my records is because if I was ever in an automobile accident, and I was driving, I wouldn't want to be accused of falling asleep at the wheel if they found out I had sleep apnea. This way I could prove that I've been using my therapy successfully. Too many non-treated drivers out there on the road who should be on therapy.

One of the forum members years ago took this advice and some years later was accused of something......he took his software reports to court to prove he was at home sleeping on the night in question......and the case against him was thrown out.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:33 am

kteague wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:07 am
For those using Oscar, is there a place for daily notes?
Indeed there is! I had not paid any attention to it before, but I should start using that! It is in the Daily view. In the left sidebar, just above the banner with your AHI. There are tabs for Details (the default view), Events, Notes, and Bookmarks.

djams

Post by djams » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:49 am

I took pretty detailed notes for the first two weeks. I didn't want to forget any of my trials and tribulations when I went for follow up appointment.

Honestly though, they weren't much help. I should've gotten on here and asked questions. I know better now. :lol: