Farting....Loudly.....a lot!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zeeclass

Farting....Loudly.....a lot!

Post by zeeclass » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:47 pm

This is probably TMI, but I bet many CPAP users suffer from this. All that air piped down the throat has to go somewhere....and come out somewhere. Recently I switched from a CPAP with a pressure setting of 6 to an APAP, which seems to be leveling out at a pressure of 9.(My doctor said that I needed increased pressure and ordered the APAP for me). I am waking myself up with the huge amount of loud farting that results from the increased amount of air and pressure that makes its way down to my intestines! My husband sleeps in the other room (except when we're traveling together) so I'm the only one suffering from the noise. Is there any way to reduce the farting? Or is it just something we CPAP users just need to get used to?

Diagnosed mainly with hypopneas, original AHI of 19. Also suffer from twitching in sleep, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, herniated discs in neck and back, mild recurring depression. Hubby and I are both hoseheads with matching CPAPs!

Wulfman...

Re: Farting....Loudly.....a lot!

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:08 pm

zeeclass wrote:This is probably TMI, but I bet many CPAP users suffer from this. All that air piped down the throat has to go somewhere....and come out somewhere. Recently I switched from a CPAP with a pressure setting of 6 to an APAP, which seems to be leveling out at a pressure of 9.(My doctor said that I needed increased pressure and ordered the APAP for me). I am waking myself up with the huge amount of loud farting that results from the increased amount of air and pressure that makes its way down to my intestines! My husband sleeps in the other room (except when we're traveling together) so I'm the only one suffering from the noise. Is there any way to reduce the farting? Or is it just something we CPAP users just need to get used to?
It's more than likely "aerophagia"......ingesting air into the stomach.

A few links from the forum archives:

viewtopic/t114768/search.php?keywords=aerophagia

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:06 pm

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:49 pm

"Walk as you fart";
Folks call that "crop dusting".
You made me smile, avi.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Get a corncob, a drill bit, make a muffler, if the smell is too bad, have you converter checked. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:49 pm

Goofproof wrote:Get a corncob, a drill bit, make a muffler, if the smell is too bad, have you converter checked. Jim

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:01 pm

chunkyfrog wrote::lol:
"Walk as you fart";
Folks call that "crop dusting".
You made me smile, avi.
At work, we called that 'motor boating'.

flightco

Post by flightco » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:10 am

zeeclass wrote:This is probably TMI, but I bet many CPAP users suffer from this. All that air piped down the throat has to go somewhere....and come out somewhere. Recently I switched from a CPAP with a pressure setting of 6 to an APAP, which seems to be leveling out at a pressure of 9.(My doctor said that I needed increased pressure and ordered the APAP for me). I am waking myself up with the huge amount of loud farting that results from the increased amount of air and pressure that makes its way down to my intestines! My husband sleeps in the other room (except when we're traveling together) so I'm the only one suffering from the noise. Is there any way to reduce the farting? Or is it just something we CPAP users just need to get used to?
First, Zee, let me say you sound like a real attractive gal.

Couldn't help it, the title reminded me of the old SNL with Rosanna Rosanna Danna; whenever she would give advice she would start out by telling them they sound like a real attractive guy/gal no matter what the situation was.

You should probably try a nasal mask or pillows and tape your mouth shut. I could be completely wrong but I don't see how you can ingest air if you are only breathing through your nose.

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:16 am

flightco wrote: I could be completely wrong but I don't see how you can ingest air if you are only breathing through your nose.
Yes, you are completely wrong.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:02 am

A potential source for air entering the stomach is maybe a weak LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter).
CPAP air enters the airway and some of it will make it's way down the esophagus and it's going to put a little pressure on that sphincter and if the sphincter is a bit weak it could allow that air to enter the stomach.
One doesn't necessarily have to "swallow" the air for it to get into the esophagus and it can happen no matter if a person uses a full face mask or nasal mask or whether they tape their lips or not or whether they mouth breathe or only do the nasal breathing.

If you have a history of GERD or heartburn or hiatal hernia then that LES might be a bit damaged or weak.

About the only way to reduce the farting is to maybe reduce the pressure so it doesn't push past the LES and sneak into the stomach. Maybe make some sort of compromise between the higher pressures your machine (and your doctor) wants you to use and a pressure that doesn't push past the LES.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Two choices, a Muffler or a Cork! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

avi123

Post by avi123 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:54 pm

Isn't it healthy?

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:44 pm

avi123 wrote:Isn't it healthy?
Not when you get "follow through"

flightco

Post by flightco » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:52 pm

Pugsy wrote:A potential source for air entering the stomach is maybe a weak LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter).
CPAP air enters the airway and some of it will make it's way down the esophagus and it's going to put a little pressure on that sphincter and if the sphincter is a bit weak it could allow that air to enter the stomach.
One doesn't necessarily have to "swallow" the air for it to get into the esophagus and it can happen no matter if a person uses a full face mask or nasal mask or whether they tape their lips or not or whether they mouth breathe or only do the nasal breathing.

If you have a history of GERD or heartburn or hiatal hernia then that LES might be a bit damaged or weak.

About the only way to reduce the farting is to maybe reduce the pressure so it doesn't push past the LES and sneak into the stomach. Maybe make some sort of compromise between the higher pressures your machine (and your doctor) wants you to use and a pressure that doesn't push past the LES.
Nice complete answer, thanks for taking the time to make this clear.

Biguugly

Post by Biguugly » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Had to reduce my pressure from 15 down to 12.5. Gastro guy wanted me to have the sphincter sutured up a little tighter, then told me that I would not be able to relieve the pressure by burping after the surgery. Playing with the pressure for a month solved my problem. Hope it will do same for you.