Heartburn

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: Heartburn

Post by LSAT » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:01 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Everyone with any of the symptoms listed below would do well to read all of Dr. Park's blog entries on reflux - http://doctorstevenpark.com/index.php?s=reflux
How many of you with sleep apnea also have reflux issues. Your symptoms don’t have to be heartburn or indigestion. It can be throat clearing, post-nasal drip, coughing, hoarseness, a lump sensation, throat pain, and even tightening.

When in deep sleep, due to our muscles relaxing to various degrees, the smaller your jaw size, the more likely you’ll stop breathing and wake up partially or completely. During this process, a vacuum effect is created, actively suctioning up small amounts of your stomach juices into your lower esophagus or your throat.
These are the symptoms I suffered with for several years. Then 14 years ago I had the Fundoplication surgery and all these symptoms disappeared almost immediately.

stardust123

Post by stardust123 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:33 pm

for an easier way to eat apple cider vinegar try looking in the natural food section. There's a major brand of salad dressing that is just mainly olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Just put a little on salad or vegetables. It's much easier than drinking it straight. Someone told me Cheyenne pepper is good for the stomach. Maybe putting that in food would make a difference, I don't know.

oncomingspork

Post by oncomingspork » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:35 pm

I have GERD, and I get bags of ginger chews (not candied ginger slices, they're very tough and fibrous) like Chimes or Gin-Gins. They help quite a lot, and I have Zantac for those times when the ginger doesn't cut it. I also put lime juice in my water.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:45 pm

LSAT wrote:14 years ago I had the Fundoplication surgery
How was the recovery?

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:04 am

Interesting thread. I started have severe heart burn... probably gerd... about the same time I started getting a lot of air in my stomach. The air in my stomach wasn't bad.... my wife officially anointed me as an "old lady" with the walking-farts I was experiencing! I have been in the cpap mode for some time. Maybe it's a good time to try the autoset mode? I'm thinking that in the autopap mode, my pressure will be lower (most of the night) and it may relieve the pressure on that flapper in my breathing tube? Worth a try. What do you folks think?

Sheriff

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:11 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:What do you folks think?
Your profile says your pressure setting is 15. I would open it up a bit at a time and follow the results closely with SH every day. The first night I would set the pressure to 13 - 15.

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:03 pm

NO ONE SHOULD BE FOLLOWING ANY ADVICE BASED ON THAT BOOK THAT WAS POSTED ABOUT, IT'S A CON JOB WRITTEN BY A QUACK.

Sadly many of the most prominent quacks and snake oil salesmen managed to get medical degrees, and laymen read their BS and think they are getting legitimate medical advice. The book that has been recommended twice in this thread was written by a quack and charlatan and you can read about some of his numerous exploits and cons here:

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEdu ... g/aqa.html
In the early 1990s, Wright achieved considerable notoriety battling the FDA. The dispute surfaced in July 1991 when law enforcement officers seized 103 bottles of L-tryptophan from the For Your Health Pharmacy, adjacent to Wright's clinic..

During the same month, according to an FDA affidavit, FDA investigators observed mold in some glass vials at the pharmacy and were informed that the products had been made at a laboratory adjacent to Wright's clinic. Further investigation indicated that Wright and the pharmacist were co-owners of the laboratory and clinic and that a clandestine manufacturing facility...
And on and on and on...

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Heart Jumping wrote:NO ONE SHOULD BE FOLLOWING ANY ADVICE BASED ON THAT BOOK THAT WAS POSTED ABOUT, IT'S A CON JOB WRITTEN BY A QUACK.

Sadly many of the most prominent quacks and snake oil salesmen managed to get medical degrees, and laymen read their BS and think they are getting legitimate medical advice. The book that has been recommended twice in this thread was written by a quack and charlatan and you can read about some of his numerous exploits and cons here:

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEdu ... g/aqa.html
Here are the two posts HJ is referring to:
rhodesengr wrote:here is the book I bought about increasing acid with supplements
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087131 ... detailpage
rhodesengr wrote:
mouthbreather72 wrote:Now I only drink the apple cider vinegar once in a while as a preventative because I truly believe it aids in overall good digestion.
yes, there is a theory going around that GERD is due to too little acid rather than too much acid. In fact there is at least one book on the topic. I looked into it a few years ago. Apple cider vinegar was one of the methods to increase your stomach acid. There is another method that you may like better if it works for you. You can buy a supplement called Betaine HCL. Here is one example
http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Betaine ... B000M4CD2C

I found it much easier to just take the capsules than to drink the cider vinegar. There are also cider vinegar capsules you can get. The idea was appealing to me sense it is similar thinking to low carb diets. The problem is not too much fat etc... but in my case, it seemed to help but not enough by itself. If the vinegar works for you, you might find the betaine works better or at least easier.

rhodesengr, Are you spamming for someone?

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks for posting the links Granny, I avoided that because I wanted my disagreement to be about the author, not the poster who I think is trying to be helpful. But I should have included them for reference.
ChicagoGranny wrote:rhodesengr, Are you spamming for someone?
I don't think he/she is, I think they are just trying to post helpful info. He was spot on in listing correct medications for gerd. I think it's really easy for people to fall for these books. I just hate the thought of someone with serious problems relying on the bogus cures in these books. I've seen so many people fall for them over the years, until a serious condition gets worse and worse.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Heart Jumping wrote:not the poster who I think is trying to be helpful.
If that is the case, my apologies to rhodesengr.

Heart Jumping wrote: I just hate the thought of someone with serious problems relying on the bogus cures in these books.
Good, some help in squashing the woo (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woo+woo).

Tangos

Post by Tangos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:49 pm

LSAT, would you do the fundo again if you had to do it over?
I have a condition with gerd where I have to take high ppis doses.
Also, when I occasionally get air in my stomach I do wonder if it's putting acid in my esaphagus.
I have been thinking of the fundo or Linx but the Linx still scares me.
Did you do the full wrap or partial wrap?
Thx

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:37 pm

Tangos wrote:LSAT, would you do the fundo again if you had to do it over?
I have a condition with gerd where I have to take high ppis doses.
Also, when I occasionally get air in my stomach I do wonder if it's putting acid in my esaphagus.
I have been thinking of the fundo or Linx but the Linx still scares me.
Did you do the full wrap or partial wrap?
Thx
I had the full wrap in 2002 when I was 62. No PPIs since. I have had a few periods over the past 13 years where I took Zantac a few times. Fundo has been around since the early 80s. There are many doctors that have been doing the procedure for many years. Find an experienced one and go for it.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:03 am

Though two nights is hardly enough time to get any results (on anything).... but.... I went to autopap mode with the pressure settings at 10 and 18 for the last two nights and have not experienced any heartburn. I even ran out of my over-the-counter medication I was using. I was at the Seminary all day yesterday and did not have a chance to stop by the drug store. Too early to tell for sure, but it appears that lower the pressure gives that flapper in the windpipe a break (of sorts).
Wow... thank You for this thread!

Sheriff

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:16 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Though two nights is hardly enough time to get any results (on anything).... but.... I went to autopap mode with the pressure settings at 10 and 18 for the last two nights and have not experienced any heartburn. I even ran out of my over-the-counter medication I was using. I was at the Seminary all day yesterday and did not have a chance to stop by the drug store. Too early to tell for sure, but it appears that lower the pressure gives that flapper in the windpipe a break (of sorts).
Wow... thank You for this thread!

Sheriff
Yeah, I am so pleasantly surprised to be off Prilosec after 20+ years. I had some mild heartburn last week, but I chalked it up to being on an antibiotic and powered through. Still enjoy a few cups of coffee per day with no ill effects.

Tesorge

Post by Tesorge » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:49 pm

My heartburn started about the time my pressure was bumped up. I've Been on Prilosec eversince. I was thinking I wasn't cleaning it enough and have an hpylori bacterial infection. It seems to only go away when I take antibiotics. Anyone having the same exp?