[RESOLVED] CPAP Newbie Help - Pain with nasal pillows?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tachyon

[RESOLVED] CPAP Newbie Help - Pain with nasal pillows?

Post by Tachyon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi there. I have completed about one week of CPAP therapy, and use a nasal pillow mask. Breathing is pretty easy for me, and if my machine/my intuition is right, I haven't had any issues with my mask leaking, and only once have I gotten rained out by water in the tube or mask. However, I'm waking up in the very early hours in the morning by my septum hurting and feeling sore. It continues to be sore throughout the day. I'm currently using the nasal pillows that came on the mask (size S, I think).

Any advice or help? Should I adjust the pillows or try on a different size? I would really love for this mask style to work out if at all possible.

Any general advice/words of wisdom would be great, too. My boyfriend and family have been incredibly supportive, but this is still very new to me and any advice or success stories are more than welcome.

Thanks for all of your help. Please let me know if I should provide more information.
Last edited by Tachyon on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OkyDoky

Re: CPAP Newbie Help - Pain with nasal pillows?

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 pm

It's not unusual for a little soreness while your nose gets use to the pillows. Use Lansinoh on the soreness and it will help. You can find it in the baby section. Nursing mothers use it.
Now it could be possible you need to go to a larger size pillows so you might need to try that if the soreness does not improve. They should set on your nares and not go much into.
This is just one little early bump. It sounds like you have a positive attitude and support of family so you will do well.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Tachyon wrote:CPAP Newbie Help - Pain with nasal pillows?
- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

Note: Links to just about all of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php

Link for your mask including instructional videos - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html .
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:31 pm

OkyDoky wrote: Use Lansinoh on the soreness and it will help.
Lansinoh brand lanolin helps with irritation on the outside of the nostrils. Tachyon says the problem is with the septum. I don't know how lanolin could be applied to help with this problem.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:35 pm

Welcome Tachyon! I think your septum might be sore because your nose could be being smashed into submission if the mask is too tight. I also use Swift Fx for Her mask and think it is possible you have the headpiece too tight. The top strap should allow you to put at least 2 fingers between it and your hair. The cheek straps should be tight enough to stay on your face, but loose enuf it doesn't push your nose up in the air- your nose should not hurt from the pressure of the cushions on it. The pillows should rest just at the opening of your nostrils, kind of below your nares, with the tip of the cushion at the beginning of your nares, not actually IN your nares. It rests just on the top of my upper lip, & the middle of the cushion is in the filtrum skin area where the little trough is below your nose. I think member Janknitz has a blog under her signature about how to use the Swift Fx mask that might help you if she still has it there. If not still in her signature, maybe she will see this & chime in to help you, or it might be the Wiki icon or under New Users icon above. Lansinoh is also a big help, you only need a very tiny dab in each nostril. It's about $8-10 per tube (and lasts a LONG time)& found in the baby supply section (where the disposable bottles and nipples and breast shields for new moms are) of the grocery store or drugstore over the counter. I used a smidgeon on a Q-tip in the beginning of my CPAPA journey for each nare. It helps to heal any sores and also is a little bit tacky so helps to keep the pillows in one place instead of sliding around causing irritation. I have been a member here since 2011 and I still have well over a half-tube left that I bought when I started here as a member back then. I use it if my nose gets sore inside from the drying of the air being forced in. Stay with it, & let us know if you still have difficulty after you get some suggestions from here. You will feel much better and also meet your compliance requirements for insurance to pay their share (if you have insurance) as long as you use it consistently.

Pressure 6-10 cm

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Tachyon wrote:. However, I'm waking up in the very early hours in the morning by my septum hurting and feeling sore. It continues to be sore throughout the day.
where on the septum? up in your nose? or just between your nostrils?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
OkyDoky wrote: Use Lansinoh on the soreness and it will help.

Lansinoh brand lanolin helps with irritation on the outside of the nostrils. Tachyon says the problem is with the septum. I don't know how lanolin could be applied to help with this problem.

My soreness was where the septum turns to flesh just inside the tip of my nose and I used a small dab with a Q-tip in the morning. If the soreness is higher either the pillows are the wrong size or they are too tight. With the small amount I was using for only a few days it was absorbed quickly.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Nathan C. Morales

Post by Nathan C. Morales » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:49 pm

I've only been on a CPAP for 10 months. My nose hurt for the first week or two, then it went away. Every once in a while it will hurt again.

Give it time.

Cerulean60

Post by Cerulean60 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:57 pm

Two weeks ago I switched from the Eson nasal mask to the Swift FX. I too have been waking up with a sore nose, but it's been getting better. I have just been playing with the headgear set up and switched from the large to medium size pillow, leaving me to believe the sweet spot is somewhere, I just have to find it. My next move is to look up the blog post referenced above. Incidentally, the CPAP thing has gotten way better since switching from the nasal mask to the pillow: more comfortable with way fewer leaks.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:13 pm

See the swift fx fitting tips in my blog. That and lanisoh should help.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Tachyon

Post by Tachyon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:38 pm

palerider wrote:
Tachyon wrote:. However, I'm waking up in the very early hours in the morning by my septum hurting and feeling sore. It continues to be sore throughout the day.
where on the septum? up in your nose? or just between your nostrils?
Thank you all for your tips. I will look at the fitting of my mask and see if I can adjust. I may be putting the nasal pillows too far up, based on what some of you have mentioned thus far.

Palerider - between my nostrils. It's hard to tell exactly where, but when I wiggle the cartilage between my nostrils or push on it a certain way, it feels sore.

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 pm

You might need a different size pillow, the way I size the pillow is hold the pillow up to the nose looking in the mirror to see if it looks like a reasonable fit and go with it.
New masks usally have different pillow sizes to test S,M,L. I used the swift fx for years and liked it a lot, at the moment I'm testing the P10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Tachyon wrote: I may be putting the nasal pillows too far up
The flange on the pillows should seal on the outside of your nostrils. If the pillows are going inside your nostrils, either they are too small or they are too tight.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:24 pm

OkyDoky wrote: My soreness was where the septum turns to flesh just inside the tip of my nose and I used a small dab with a Q-tip in the morning. If the soreness is higher either the pillows are the wrong size or they are too tight. With the small amount I was using for only a few days it was absorbed quickly.
+1

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Nathan C. Morales wrote:I've only been on a CPAP for 10 months. My nose hurt for the first week or two, then it went away. Every once in a while it will hurt again.

Give it time.
I don't like this approach. Nothing about the design of CPAP masks requires a person to endure pain. If something is hurting, then something is wrong with the setup.