S9 Reviews

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bdwalters
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm

S9 Reviews

Post by bdwalters » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:48 am

S9 users, can we get some reviews of the latest and greatest toy? Here are some points I'm particularly curious about:

1. Are there any lights that stay on all night that would potentially need to be covered by those who are light sensitive?
2. Does the machine, like the PR One, send out puffs of air to test for central apneas?
3. Can you drain the humidifier in one night on the highest setting? (I like a lot of moisture!)
4. How quiet is it?
5. Is it really rainout proof?
6. Is the heated hose really that much smaller and more flexible?
7. How easy is it to refill the humidifier?
8. Do the buttons work smoothly and is the plastic of high quality?
9. Does it report and/or treat RERAs?
10. Does the LCD report flow limitations or do you need the software to see this?

_________________
MaskSoftware
Additional Comments: Past CPAPs: REMStar Auto, Resmed Autoset Spirit, PB 420G, Respironics DM100, PR System One Auto

User avatar
Kickthefog
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:18 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by Kickthefog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 am

I've only used it one night but here is my input thus far:
1. Nope, it dims to comlete black.
2. If it did, i din't notice. i have .3 centrals detected so it detected them somehow without me knowing or waking.
3. not sure yet, i had it cranked to 83 degree air and i had quite a bit left this morning, after 8.3 hours of use.
4. REALLY quiet. my wife said "WOW, that is quieter than your old one" and my old S8 was quiet to begin with. mask noise is much lower
5. so far, one night can't tell much
6. Yes, seems like about half the thickness and much more flexible. loving that part of it.
7. not hard at all. even has a "spill" area in case you miss the hole and it too will fall into hole so i think it is better than the s8 designed humidifier.
8. seems to be built well.
9. i don't know what an RERA is.
10. software i think. i looked through it all this am and i saw no flow listed.


Pat
bdwalters wrote:S9 users, can we get some reviews of the latest and greatest toy? Here are some points I'm particularly curious about:

1. Are there any lights that stay on all night that would potentially need to be covered by those who are light sensitive?
2. Does the machine, like the PR One, send out puffs of air to test for central apneas?
3. Can you drain the humidifier in one night on the highest setting? (I like a lot of moisture!)
4. How quiet is it?
5. Is it really rainout proof?
6. Is the heated hose really that much smaller and more flexible?
7. How easy is it to refill the humidifier?
8. Do the buttons work smoothly and is the plastic of high quality?
9. Does it report and/or treat RERAs?
10. Does the LCD report flow limitations or do you need the software to see this?

_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: FlexiFit HC431 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Using 3.1 software (not in profile choices yet) + Pulse OX 7500 from SPO medical

User avatar
JohnBFisher
Posts: 3833
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 am

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:30 pm

bdwalters wrote:... 10. Does the LCD report flow limitations or do you need the software to see this?
Great answers from Kick-the-FOG (not DOG !! ) ...

But I have a note about this question. If you mean can you see the number of Apneas and Hypopneas on the LCD, then the answer is "Yes, but ...". But only from the Clinician Menu, which you can see if you have the Provider's Manual to help you learn how to check the statistics.

However, the LCD does only displays the statistics, not a graph. In the long run, use of the software to view the graph of your sleep is much more informative. Go see the images in the following post as an example of what you will see as a user:

viewtopic/t49848/Newbie-with-S9-and-Dat ... nosis.html

_________________
Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: PR System One 50 Series Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: User of xPAP therapy for over 20 yrs. Resmed & Respironics ASV units with EEP=9cm-14cm H2O; PSmin=4cm H2O; PSmax=15cm H2O; Max=25cm H2O
"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing” from Rabbi Hillel
"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

jemem
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 am

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by jemem » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:41 pm

This is a shot I took this morning after my first night on CPAP.
Sorry about the quality. I took this with my phone.

Info from user screen
Image

Info from Clinician Menu
Image

User avatar
Uncle_Bob
Posts: 2780
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:10 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 pm

It would be interesting to know how to change the pressure settings on an S9, along with anything else under the clinical menu on the S8?

Is there a clinical manual for the S9?

I know i can change my pressure settings and such using ResScan 3.10 and my data card but it would be easier to do it on the unit itself.

User avatar
Uncle_Bob
Posts: 2780
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:10 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm

jemem wrote: Info from Clinician Menu
Image
I don't like the look of that unlocked padlock at the top right, does that mean your sleep report could potentially be locked so you can not see it?

User avatar
jmelby
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:52 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by jmelby » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Don't you have yours yet Uncle Bob? I was told by the person I ordered from on cpap.com that they would include the clinical manual in the delivery, so I'm assuming that will have the instructions to get into the clinical menu.

_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Mirage Activa™ LT Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: ResScan 3.12, APAP 9 - 13, no EPR, ClimateControl 75F
(yet another Jeff)

User avatar
torontoCPAPguy
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:27 am
Location: Toronto Ontario/Buffalo NY

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:21 pm

I was at my respirologist today and he tells me that I am making progress as far as my lungs are concerned but that it is unlikely that I will ever get rid of my APAP machine; he commended me for dumping the Resmed S8 Escape II and going to the Autoset II with the information at my fingertips and said he had just gone through a seminar/meeting on the new S9 series and was quite taken with them.

Now he's got ME thinking. Geez. I just got the S8's.

_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Respironics Everflo Q infusing O2 into APAP line to maintain 95% SaO2; MaxTec Maxflo2 Oxygen Analyzer; Contec CMS50E Recording Pulse Oxymeter
Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

JStaggie
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by JStaggie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:22 pm

I know this is how you access the Clinician menu on the S9, but I don't have mine yet, so I can't say what's there:

ResMed S9 AutoSet & Elite: Plug in machine and turn the Push Dial until the device is showing the Home position (Home Icon illuminated). In Home position, press the Push Dial and the Setup Menu buttons down simultaneously for 3 seconds. The clinician menu will appear. Select parameter(s) you wish to modify with the Push Dial (push down to select, turn to modify). When done, select the <<home choice from the displayed menu and the adjustment is saved.

_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: A few years in on CPAP.

User avatar
Uncle_Bob
Posts: 2780
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:10 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 pm

jmelby wrote:Don't you have yours yet Uncle Bob? I was told by the person I ordered from on cpap.com that they would include the clinical manual in the delivery, so I'm assuming that will have the instructions to get into the clinical menu.
Nope I have not received mine yet as its spent the last few days on a friggin UPS tour of Texas

EL PASO, TX, US 03/04/2010 7:00 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/04/2010 4:28 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MESQUITE, TX, US 03/03/2010 2:04 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/03/2010 9:11 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
HOUSTON, TX, US 03/03/2010 4:20 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/03/2010 12:21 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
STAFFORD, TX, US 03/02/2010 10:53 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/02/2010 8:29 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 03/02/2010 2:26 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

jemem
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 am

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by jemem » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:44 pm

JStaggie wrote:I know this is how you access the Clinician menu on the S9, but I don't have mine yet, so I can't say what's there:

ResMed S9 AutoSet & Elite: Plug in machine and turn the Push Dial until the device is showing the Home position (Home Icon illuminated). In Home position, press the Push Dial and the Setup Menu buttons down simultaneously for 3 seconds. The clinician menu will appear. Select parameter(s) you wish to modify with the Push Dial (push down to select, turn to modify). When done, select the <<home choice from the displayed menu and the adjustment is saved.
Yes this is how you access the Clinician Menu to view Sleep Report and change all the settings.
I will have to double check but to get the Sleep Report I had to enter the Clinician's Menu and then press the home key and scroll down to the Sleep Report then scroll down the report to view this info which is at the bottom of the report.
Uncle_Bob wrote:

I don't like the look of that unlocked padlock at the top right, does that mean your sleep report could potentially be locked so you can not see it?
I guess the unlocked padlock indicates that you have accessed or unlocked the Clinician Menu?

User avatar
rested gal
Posts: 12892
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by rested gal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 pm

jemem wrote:I guess the unlocked padlock indicates that you have accessed or unlocked the Clinician Menu?
Right.
S9 VPAP Auto - S9 Auto - BiPAP Auto - 420E auto - Everest 2. ResScan, EncPro & SL3.
Humidifier: F&P HC 150, Aussie heated hose.
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest/homemade straps.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=17435

bigk
Posts: 608
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:35 pm
Location: Central Coast near Sydney Australia

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by bigk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Has anyone got a link for the Clinicians manual for the S9 yet? Or a D/L link for the Resscan 3.10?

_________________
MachineMaskHumidifier
Additional Comments: S9 Autoset, H5i, Resmed Swift FX, Resscan 3.10
Resmed AutoSet Spirit II flow generator (Backup)
Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

User avatar
DreamDiver
Posts: 2516
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:19 am

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 am

Uncle_Bob wrote:It would be interesting to know how to change the pressure settings on an S9, along with anything else under the clinical menu on the S8?

Is there a clinical manual for the S9?

I know i can change my pressure settings and such using ResScan 3.10 and my data card but it would be easier to do it on the unit itself.
I didn't receive a clinician's manual with mine.

You can change just about every setting on the box directly in the middle of the night between mask sessions:
Press the 'edit' button and the wheelie dial together for three seconds until the clinician's menu appears. Voila. If you're familiar with ipod-style wheelie-dialing, you should be good to go. Changes you make on the machine will transfer to your card and hence, back to your machine and vice versa. It just works.

I think they said how to do it on the S9 comfort site in one of the videos. I poured over that site for hours before making the decision to buy, as I'm sure many of us did. Knowing how to get into the clinician's was one of my key concerns.

_________________
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Pressure: APAP 10.4 | 12
Also using quattro full face alternately - standard/medium

jnk
Posts: 5840
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by jnk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 am

I would like to know what definition this machine uses for scoring a hypopnea.