Just got a ComfortLite 2

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yardbird

Just got a ComfortLite 2

Post by yardbird » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:54 pm

New Comfort Lite 2 is in da house!
I got the one with the pillows (because I'm a Swift user) and the Simple Cushions (because that's NOT a pillow-type interface). First impression is that it seals better than the Swift when using the pillows. And that the Simple Cushion seals even better than the pillows.

Thing thing has all KINDS of adjustments on it. It seems very comfortable. If it remains stable while I sleep this could give my Swift a run for its money. Without the cheek pieces like the Swift has it may be even better for side sleeping. Although I gotta tell you, I fall asleep on my stomach every night with the Swift and it just hasn't been an issue for me.

I'm home on a vacation day today. I should be making dinner but instead I'm thinking about going to bed! hehehehe.... once a hosehead always a hosehead, I guess...

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:36 pm

Yardbird.....take a look at Restedgal's post on 11/14/06 in which she gives links to mods done on the CL-2. Oldgearhead has a great fix for the one needed adjustment that is lacking on the CL-2. Check it out....it makes all the difference for me!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:58 pm

heyyyy, yardbird. Ya got a good one, I do believe. Good to see you posting again!

Some of the links Gerald mentioned are these fixes:

viewtopic.php?t=8493
Apr 14, 2006 subject: ComfortLite 2 without the elbow drawings and description of removal of swivel elbow on top of headgear - by rested gal

viewtopic.php?t=14678
Oct 28, 2006 subject: ComfortLite 2, Revisited photos of oldgearhead's "garbage bag ties" fix.

viewtopic.php?t=8884
Apr 30, 2006 subject: Fix Turns ComfortLite 2 to Perfection photo of NightHawkeye's "fishing line" fix

Many more topics about the CL2 are here:

viewtopic.php?t=8066
LINKS to Respironics ComfortLite 2 nasal pillows mask topics
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Thank you! Wow... those are some neat ideas. I think for tonight... first night... I'll keep my trusty Swift handy and wear the new Comfort Lite2 and kinda let it tell me what I need to do to make it work for me. It actually felt really good when I got it home and set it up. Wore it around teh house for a bit (obviously not expecting company... hehehe) and then hooked it up the xPAP for a while and .... it felt REALLY good actually.

So we'll see how it feels to actually sleep in it.

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:07 am

OK first night with CL2 is now under my belt. With the nasal pillows on I went to sleep at 11pm. Woke up at 1:30am with a sore spot in one nare. I'm used to nasal pillows, having used the Swift exclusively for over a year. So not new to pillows. Of course all pillows are not made the same so...

Swapped out the pillows for the simple cushion and slept until 6:30 when the dog woke me up to get her outside.

Had a slight headache when I woke up. Not sure if it's related to the new CL2 or not. Went away within 20 minutes of getting out of bed.

The headgear does seem to slide around a little especially if any pressure is put on the hose. A little pull this way or that and the headgear goes off center and the mask starts to leak. With the Swift I just had the hose laying on the bed. With the CL2 I may have to do a hose hangar arrangement.

With the simple cushion I am impressed with how quiet this interface is, especially when it stays sealed. I will tweak the pillows using the methods in the links earlier on in this thread to see if I can get them to work more reliably for me.

Overall, getting 7-1/2 hours sleep (with one interruption to switch from pillow to cushion... a whole minute or so) is not bad for a first night with a brand new and completely unaltered interface. I think I'll keep it.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:25 am

Swapped out the pillows for the simple cushion and slept until 6:30 when the dog woke me up to get her outside
Yardbird,
My first impression of the Simple Cushion was very positive. I do wear an old chin-strap (cheap streatchy kind with chin-hole) over the front of the SimpleCushion and fastened in the back of my head to help with the seal. I think RG uses panty hose for this task.

I haven't used the Simple Cushion, lately, only because the largest one I have is a medium. With the medium size Simple Cushion, plus a Breathe Rite Strip, my nose is about out of space inside the Simple Cushion. I think I may need a large Simple Cushion. What size Simple Cushion do you use?

btw - I found it very helpful to re-tighten the headgear when the initial "stretch" was gone in about a week.

People have more fun than anybody..

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:43 am

I got the combo that has both Large and Medium sizes of both the pillows and simple cushion. Last night I was using the large size of both. According to the sizing template (that came with the interface), the large is the size for me to use. I *might* try the medium size, but if the sizer says I should be using the large, I'd like to keep the Medium sealed and brand new in case a trading opportunity comes up.

I hear ya, on the retighten after the honeymoon's over on the headgear.

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:49 am

I've had my CL2 with pillows for 3 months. The garbage bag tie trick worked great for me for stabilizing the pillows. For the past two nights for a change of pace I've tried the simple cushion. My leak rates and snore rates have gone upupup according to software. I'm not sure if pressures above about 8 create the leak or if the air leaks create the need for higher pressures. For those who have great success with the CL2 using simple cushion, besides chin strap, how do you create good seal?

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:17 am

I think one of the problems with the CL2 and the Simple Cushion is the "swing" adjustment may not be quite enough for some people, and because its "detented", an extra strap may not help too much. For me, it would be nice if they had a way to disable the detents, so that, the extra strap would be more useful. Of course, the detents are absolutely nessary for the nasal pillows.

Hummm, maybe I'll work on that, later..

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): Nasal Pillows

linda b

Post by linda b » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:57 pm

I'm another CL2 with simple cushion user and have been for 6 months. I started out using the pantyhose fix but decided to try to come up with something that didn't require frequent adjustment.

I made an extra strap using 1/2" standard elastic and covered it with fleece. I added sew-on velcro to each end and a piece of stick-on velcro goes on the down tube just above where the elbow attaches. The strap attaches to that in the middle and the ends attach to the headgear just below the V formed where the straps separate. This worked very well until I stopped putting my hair in a ponytail with the back of the head part of the headgear below the ponytail.

SO, I made a new elastic strap a little bit longer and attach it to the headgear at the back of the head. This does go over my ears, but is not so tight that it bothers me. The way I put this contraption on each night involves only having to release the top-most straps and taking off the elbow/simple cushion -- everything else stays in place making adjustment almost unnecessary. Having the extra strap attached at the neckline also keeps the headgear from riding up over night.
Linda B.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:09 pm

For me, it would be nice if they had a way to disable the detents, so that, the extra strap would be more useful. Of course, the detents are absolutely nessary for the nasal pillows.

Hummm, maybe I'll work on that, later..
That really wasn't too hard. Only one garbage bag tye. I'll try it tonight.

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:56 am

Had a little better night last night with simple cushion. I used the window crank that's right over my head as an anchor point to hang the hose (using an old cloth belt I had). My wife kinda looked at me funny.... she asked, "What are you using the belt for?". To which I naturally replied, "I need something to support the weight of my hose."

She was sorta half asleep..... smiled.... and just said, "Dreamer" before rolling over to go to sleep.

Anyways... hanging the hose solved a lot of problems. Man, when this thing is sealed well it is REALLY quiet. I was awakened several times by small leaks. I noticed they were always "bottom leaks". It would leak towards my lips (rather than my eyes). What I found was that the entire headpiece was sliding BACK on my head. When I just pulled it forward and reseated the cushion... leak gone and back to sleep. At one point I slightly tightened the straps at the forward (lower) attach point, but that didn't seem to help much. Hanging the hose seems to have solved the problem of the headpiece moving from side to side or trying to twist on my head. But I have to solve this forward and back motion thing.

I'm also going to see if I can get my wife to make me the elastic strap with Velcro for applying light pressure right on the cushion ... I can see where that little bit of pressure would solve almost all of the leak problems I had. I would wake up, feel the leak, and just touch the cushion slightly and that little bit of pressure would stop the leak.

I don't want to get "too strappy" as that would probably make me stop using this mask. I like minimal headgear. I know that my reasons for that go all the way back to my first mask. It had a lot of headgear, was hard to get in and out of the mask, and it was so hot that I'd just take it off because I was too warm. And even though the CL2 has more headgear than the Swift, it seems ok because I can put it on and take it off easily.

Ok this is getting kinda long, but that's where I am right now using the simple cushions. Need to solve minor leak problem that is apparently caused by the entire headpiece sliding (slightly... it doesn't take much) forward and back on my head.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:29 am

Yardbird, if you haven't done this already, you might want to chop that bulky swivel elbow off the top and attach a swivel connector hose from an Activa or a Vista up there. Getting rid of that dumb CL2 swivel elbow on top made a world of difference in giving the whole thing a lighter feel with less tugging of the head gear when I move my head.

Apr 14, 2006 subject: ComfortLite 2 without the elbow drawings and description of removal of swivel elbow on top of headgear - by rested gal
yardbird wrote:Anyways... hanging the hose solved a lot of problems.
Yup. The few times I've used a mask that didn't lend itself well to hanging the main air hose up and out of the way, it's been a major aggravation. That's a great way to prevent the air hose from pulling on most any masks.

I like your wife's sense of humor.
yardbird wrote:for applying light pressure right on the cushion ... I can see where that little bit of pressure would solve almost all of the leak problems I had. I would wake up, feel the leak, and just touch the cushion slightly and that little bit of pressure would stop the leak.
Bingo. That little experiment...touching the front of a cushion lightly with the fingers to stop a leak...is what caused me to cut the leg off a you-know-what. A homemade strap works wonders across the front of soooooo many masks. The strap across the front doesn't have to be tight at all. Just a leeeeetle bit of support, like a cradle across the front of nasal pillows (or the "simple cushion"), has turned many an unusable mask into a dream mask for me.

It's also surprising how another homemade strap worn at eyebrow level "sweatband style" can stabilize otherwise slippin' and slidin' headgear. Again, doesn't have to be tight at all. If you choose the right material for the homemade strap...something soft and stretchy...homemade straps don't have to feel "strappy" at all.

Pictures -- ways to route one or two homemade straps to steady nasal pillows masks.

Good luck!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:34 am

That really wasn't too hard. Only one garbage bag tye. I'll try it tonight.
With the "detents" disabled, it really did work better for me with the Simple Cushion. Howevr, I must confess, I removed it after five hours of good sleep because I was getting congested, and I had forgotten the BreatheRite strip. (This happens to me anytime I use a nasal cover style mask). I just removed the garbage bag tye from the 'swing" assembly, installed the nasal pillows, and slept another 3 hours (I love Sundays).

I will need to buy a large size Simple Cushion and try this again.

Cheers,
OGH

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): Nasal Pillows

gasp

Re: Just got a ComfortLite 2

Post by gasp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

[quote="yardbird"]New Comfort Lite 2 is in da house!
I got the one with the pillows (because I'm a Swift user) and the Simple Cushions (because that's NOT a pillow-type interface). First impression is that it seals better than the Swift when using the pillows. And that the Simple Cushion seals even better than the pillows.

Thing thing has all KINDS of adjustments on it. It seems very comfortable. If it remains stable while I sleep this could give my Swift a run for its money. Without the cheek pieces like the Swift has it may be even better for side sleeping. Although I gotta tell you, I fall asleep on my stomach every night with the Swift and it just hasn't been an issue for me.

I'm home on a vacation day today. I should be making dinner but instead I'm thinking about going to bed! hehehehe.... once a hosehead always a hosehead, I guess...