ComfortLite 2, Revisited

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
oldgearhead

ComfortLite 2, Revisited

Post by oldgearhead » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:03 am

I had gum surgery last Wednesday. Therefore, I have not been able to use my standard mask, the Hybrid.

Around the middle of the month, I tried the CL2 a few nights, but I was unable to complete a night with the nasal pillows, because I felt like I could not get enough air through it. At that time I blamed the problem
on the rather small diameter feed tube of the CL2. I found out later that assumption was incorrect.

In the process of preparing for xPAP life after the stitches, I ordered a
large CL2 nasal pillow assembly (from cpap.com, of course). I had never
used a large before. I installed the garbage bag tyes, and gave it a try.
Pure bliss! I could now inhale through the CL2 as easy as the Hybrid.

Closer comparison of the pillows, indicate the Hybrid medium pillow openings are very close to large CL2 pillows. The pillows (medium) I had been using in the CL2, since May were too small.

Of course I had to make adjustments to the large pillow assembly to make
it work.

People have more fun than anybody..

gulfpearl

Post by gulfpearl » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:47 am

I found the same problem with the CL2nasal pillows.When I tried the med. sized pillow I felt I wasn't getting enough air & I couldn't breathe well. I then tried the large sized pillows & I have been satisfied with them.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:52 am

oldgearhead, I hope your recovery is going smoothly.

How interesting about the size comparison. Very glad to hear that the CL2 with large pillows is letting you get comfortable treatment while you heal.

Your garbage ties (and NHE's fishing line, puffing billy's velcro, and jcarn's rubber band) are all such handy easy fixes for pulling nasal pillows in more -- to get a better angle with several interfaces.

Thanks for letting us know how you've gotten the CL2 working for you.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:15 am

Oldgearhead......As I began trying to make the CL-2 work for me, I ran into the same difficulties you did......I didn't feel I was getting enough air through the small pillow openings.

I tried the medium pillows....and got enough air...but I couldn't make the medium pillows fit my nose correctly.

Soooooo..... out came the Xacto knife......down went the small pillows onto the kitchen cutting board......and off came a little silicone rubber at the tips of each small pillow.

Iamb now running your bag tie/fishing cord mod..... with narrowed metal support.....and "ported" (old race car terminology) pillows for more air flow.
Add lanolin to the above....and the fit is great.

You can't know how much many of us appreciate the info you give on this board.....you're "good people".......and we applaud your efforts.

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:19 pm

Has anyone had this problem with the nasal pillows of the CL2---The metal band running down the center of the nasal pillow (not the crosswise one) detaches keeps detaching at the top. My DME gave me a new one, which also has done that. It does go back in, but doesn't permanently stay.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:57 pm

---The metal band running down the center of the nasal pillow (not the crosswise one) detaches keeps detaching at the top.
This is a common complaint. I believe it happens because they didn't make the piece long enough. I suggest trying the garbage bag tyes.

Like this:

or this:

The tyes do the same job a bit better..

People have more fun than anybody..

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:09 pm

Several of us discussed that little metal base of the T coming out once before, and there were several fixes suggested.

I just put a piece of my paper mouth tape on the metal, hard plastic and silicone. No problems with the tail coming out and the tape lasts through cleanings and vinegar/water soaks. I have replaced it once over the 4 months I have used the tape.
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:48 am

I've had problems with the metal too, except when I've tried to "mold" the pillows to fit better, I ended up bending the metal and never really getting it back to its original shape.
~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman