is there a quiet generator out there?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nmevan

is there a quiet generator out there?

Post by nmevan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:51 pm

hello

I'm going camping for the first time since starting cpap.
I have purchased two marine, deep-cycle batteries,
and I have on order the RP-DC Power Adapter Kit for Respironics Bipap Machines

Though I will be in a trailer, I will not have electricity available to me other than the batteries and generator.
I am looking for the most quiet generator I can find in order to recharge my batteries after they have hopefully powered my bipap machine all night long.

I hate loud generators out in the woods.

any recommendations?

one last technical question...the trailer is 21 feet long and the batteries and the bed are at opposite ends. The cord that comes with the power adapter is only 6 feet. What kind of cord can I use to bring the power all the way to the bed where my bipap machine is, and will increasing the distance lessen the needed power?

thanks

evan

archangle

Re: is there a quiet generator out there?

Post by archangle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Honda makes some ultra quiet generators. Only some of the Honda generators are ultra quiet. Try to get the dealer to actually start one for you. There are also some generators not made by Honda that have very prominently labeled Honda motors in them. The generator stuff may not be as good as a genuine Honda generator.

There are some other quiet brands as well.

Power drop in a 12V extension cord is worse than on a 120V extension cord. Be sure that whatever you use has fairly heavy gauge wire in it.

Get a battery charger that will charge your batteries quickly so that you don't have to run your generator for a long time. You'd like to be able to run the generator for a short period of time during the day when you won't disturb people.

Sometimes you can locate the generator some distance away or behind something to reduce noise and use a long extension cord to bring the power into your trailer.

I shouldn't have to say it, but people kill themselves all the time with generator exhaust. Never use the generator in the garage, in the trailer, too close to the trailer or house, etc.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

AndyCelt

Post by AndyCelt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Solar is pretty quiet:

viewtopic.php?p=532130#p532130

Or for the cost of a generator and batteries you could get one of these Li-ion batteries:

http://www.thebatterygeeks.com/v/vspfil ... _Packs.asp

They also have a solar panel for charging available.

Sorry I did not directly answer your question... I don't know of a quiet generator.
If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when? ~ Rabbi Hillel

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Solar can be very iffy. You need to get enough watt hours during the day to sufficiently replenish what the 8 hours of CPAP took out of your battery. Cloudy days and trees can be a problem. It may also take a lot bigger solar panel than you think to run a CPAP machine all night.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

nmevan

Post by nmevan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I'd love to do solar, but I will be in a heavily wooded area on vancouver island
I don't think I can rely on getting enough sun

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:40 am

You're looking specifically for "quiet" in a generator. I don't know any specific brand/model suggestions to offer. I've heard good things about "quiet" in general for Honda manufactured generators, like Archangel mentioned.

So, this link with soooo many discussion topics about issues other than quietness is really for other readers who may be contemplating camping with CPAP:
LINKS to Battery operation, camping, power outage
viewtopic.php?t=9682
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:47 am

I don't know much of anything about generators. However, during a recent days-long power outage here, a family I know bought a generator that died on them. My friend (who grew up on a farm and knows this sort of thing), upon hearing the story, said, "Don't ever buy anything but a Honda generator." Then the husband who had bought the generator said, "You know, my dad told me the same thing."

So in my limited experience, I would say that you should stay away from anything that isn't a Honda motor.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:18 am

If this generator will be unused more than it will be used, I would recommend a propane rather than gasoline fuel. Gasoline will form a varnish and clog the fuel supply and generally just need to be run periodically. While there are additives for the gasoline, I think propane is a better choice.

Or you could just buy more batteries which are whisper quiet. You never indicated how long this trip will be?

obtw - just move a battery closer to where you will be sleeping. Even IF you have to move it to charge it. But IMO you are better off to run AC on an extension cord than DC. Be sure to setup and try out your plans well BEFORE your trip.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:18 am

+1 on the recommendations for Honda, if you go down the portable generator route

Cheers,

Bill

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:52 am

rested gal wrote:You're looking specifically for "quiet" in a generator. I don't know any specific brand/model suggestions to offer. I've heard good things about "quiet" in general for Honda manufactured generators, like Archangel mentioned.
You do have to get the right Honda generator. They do make "normally noisy," "quiet," and "super quiet" genuine Honda generators.

Useful Links.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 pm

nmevan wrote:I'm going camping for the first time since starting cpap.
I have purchased two marine, deep-cycle batteries,
and I have on order the RP-DC Power Adapter Kit for Respironics Bipap Machines

one last technical question...the trailer is 21 feet long and the batteries and the bed are at opposite ends. The cord that comes with the power adapter is only 6 feet. What kind of cord can I use to bring the power all the way to the bed where my bipap machine is, and will increasing the distance lessen the needed power?
With the combination of battery to CPAP distance, and the plan to use a generator, I think you would be better off to use an inverter and your regular AC adapter. It's a lot easier and more efficient to run power for 20+ feet using 120 vac rather than 12 vdc. With the inverter you could use any $10 16 gauge 25 ft extension cord to go from the inverter to the CPAP. With that distance for 12 vdc you'll probably need a 12 or 10 gauge cord to which you will have to attach the 12 v plug and socket yourself. Having the generator to recharge the batteries every day or two means you don't need to worry about the minor differences in power consumption between a purpose specific DC to DC adapter and an inverter plus AC adapter. In fact, whatever efficiency you gain that way you very well may lose, plus some, because of the power loss over the 21' distance.

What you really want is a 12 vdc, or 120 vac, fuel cell power supply running on propane. Where to find one, I have no idea!

Will you have your car or pickup with you? Look at using it to recharge your batteries. Any RV dealer could fix you up with a charging connection. It may cost a bit more in fuel, but you already have everything major you need to recharge the batteries in less than an hour. And unless you have modified the exhaust, any car or pickup will be quieter than any generator you'll find, I'm sure!