Step-by-Step Scrunchy Fix (for Hybrid/Liberty)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

Step-by-Step Scrunchy Fix (for Hybrid/Liberty)

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi, all.

I took step-by-step pictures of the scrunchy fix I use on my Hybrid mask (to keep the pillows in place all night) for another forum member, and I've now been asked to post them. I used different-colored scrunchies for each step in the process to make it easier to follow (hope that helps). There are a few different "fixes" for these masks that others have come up with; this one works well for me, and I hope having how-to instructions (and pics) on the forum will help someone else.

Supplies:
  • Two plastic Christmas light clips (made by Gemma, Item No. 81036-T)
  • Five (or so) small terry scrunchies (from the dollar store)
  • Velcro One-Wrap (or something similar) to secure the last scrunchy to the top strap of the headgear
Image ... Image ... Image

• Step One:
    Place a Christmas light clip under the head of each pillow and twist the ends together on the outside of the pillows:

How they look from above:

• Step Two:
    Loop the first two scrunchies over the light clips:

*Before continuing, see this post for a "how-to" on looping scrunchies together: viewtopic.php?p=441576#p441576

FYI, I used a safety pin in these photos to hold the scrunchies in place as I added them:

• Step Three:
    Catch the first two scrunchies with the third one (using the looping technique from the other thread):

• Step Four:
    Loop the fourth scrunchy onto the chain:

• Step Five:
    Loop the fifth (last, for me) scrunchy onto the chain:

*Add more (or less) scrunchies so the chain reaches the top strap on your headgear comfortably.
  • Step Six:
    Thread the last scrunchy onto the Velcro One-Wrap (or use a piece of yarn or string):

• Step Seven:
    Secure the chain of scrunchies to the middle of the top headgear strap:

• Step Eight (optional):
    Cover the scrunchies with a tube of fleece to prevent marks on the forehead:

Hope this is easy to follow and helps others, 'cause we're all in this together!
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

SleepingUgly

Re: Step-by-Step Scrunchy Fix (for Hybrid/Liberty)

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:05 pm

You totally deserve a lab rat trophy for this! The written instructions with the photos makes it so easy to follow.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Perfect. Couldn't be clearer -- I'm sure it will help many people.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:10 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:You totally deserve a lab rat trophy for this! The written instructions with the photos makes it so easy to follow.
Thanks, SU. As you know, WhiteBeard deserves the credit for this fix; I just modified his idea.
ozij wrote:Perfect. Couldn't be clearer -- I'm sure it will help many people.
Thanks, O.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:43 am

SleepingUgly wrote:You totally deserve a lab rat trophy for this! The written instructions with the photos makes it so easy to follow.
Yep, you're right, SleepingUgly. BB absolutely does deserve the Lab Rat Trophy she got here:

Jan. 16, 2010 subject: Ping: S.U. - How to Loop Scrunchies
viewtopic.php?p=441576#p441576

Thanks for the additional pictures and great step-by-step instructions, BB!! Am adding this topic's URL to your award on the Lab Rat page:
LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:46 am

rested gal wrote:
Yep, you're right, SleepingUgly. BB absolutely does deserve the Lab Rat Trophy she got here:

Jan. 16, 2010 subject: Ping: S.U. - How to Loop Scrunchies
viewtopic.php?p=441576#p441576

Thanks for the additional pictures and great step-by-step instructions, BB!! Am adding this topic's URL to your award on the Lab Rat page:
LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104
Thanks, RG.

*And that's a nice new avatar pic of you!

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:19 pm

I've received a request from another forum member, asking me to send him everything he needs to try this fix. Although I'd like to be able to do that for everyone, I'm not a supply house, and these items are easy enough to find. To that end, here are links to the supplies (in reasonable quantities) online:

For the Christmas light clips that I found at Target during the holidays, you can buy a pack of 24 for $2.95 (any time of the year) here: http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/Tre ... -13486.htm

For the little terry scrunchies I found at the dollar store, you can buy a 36-pack of them for $1.99 here: http://mp.hairboutique.com/Scunci-Mini- ... s/P/119445

The Velcro One-Wrap is available online from many sources (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&so ... CCYQrQQwAg), as well as office supply stores like Staples or OfficeMax. I suspect Home Depot and/or Lowe's also carry them.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:37 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:For the little terry scrunchies I found at the dollar store, you can buy a 36-pack of them for $1.99 here: http://mp.hairboutique.com/Scunci-Mini- ... s/P/119445
BB, thanks for looking for these scrunchies online so that others can purchase them. I purchased these and I wanted people to know that these are not the size you are using, and this size is readily available at many drugstores without paying $7.15 shipping for a $1.99 item.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly