Ping: S.U. - How to Loop Scrunchies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

Ping: S.U. - How to Loop Scrunchies

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:18 pm

To SleepingUgly and other Hybrid/Liberty users who are curious about the "scrunchies fix" for these masks:

I took pics to demonstrate how I loop scrunchies together in order to stabilize the nasal pillows on my Hybrid. WhiteBeard came up with this fix (viewtopic.php?p=280295#p280295), but I've amended it for myself, as I don't need the scrunchies on the sides. My version results in small terrycloth scrunchies that loop over the Christmas tree net clips and, when pulled upward, form an upside-down V over (around) my nose; I then catch both of those loops with another single scrunchy, then catch that one with another, and so on, until the string of scrunchies reaches the top strap on the headgear.

Here are the little scrunchies I use (found at the dollar store), next to a dime for size reference:

This is a little blurry, but I wanted a closeup to show the "knot." Here they are when they're looped together:

For purposes of illustrating the looping technique, I used larger "standard" hair ties. Here's step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

The result in this last photo is the same as the one in the second photo; this one just isn't pulled tight enough to form that nice "figure eight" you see above.

Hope that helps!
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

sleepycarol

Re: Ping: S.U. - How to Loop Scrunchies

Post by sleepycarol » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks for the pics. It is so much easier to see things than having to figure it out with instructions -- at least for me.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks, BB! So generous of you to go to the trouble of taking pictures and posting them! You use Christmas tree light clips?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:24 pm

Carol, I'm the same way. Much easier to "get" the concept visually.
SleepingUgly wrote:Thanks, BB! So generous of you to go to the trouble of taking pictures and posting them! You use Christmas tree light clips?
YW, SU. No problem. It was making me nuts trying to explain it (and doing a poor job), so pics were called for. Glad they helped.

And yes, Christmas tree light clips. These:

I just found them online (here: http://www.aachristmas.com/vpasp/shopdi ... .asp?id=88), but they're in a quantity of 500. I bought a box of 25 at Target for a couple of bucks last year. But since you might not be able to find them in a box of 25 now, if you want a couple pairs, PM me your mailing address and I'll throw them in an envelope so you can try 'em.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:if you want a couple pairs, PM me your mailing address and I'll throw them in an envelope so you can try 'em.
I made the top strap tighter, and we'll see how it goes tonight. Thank you for your offer! I will keep that in mind if I can't manage to get the pillows to stay in. I am hoping it will be enough to do the trick!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:24 pm

I also found that top strap adjustment is critical; I've adjusted it several times.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:I also found that top strap adjustment is critical; I've adjusted it several times.
Muse, is the top strap pretty tight? Do you have to use any "fixes" or do the pillows stay in?

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:54 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:...is the top strap pretty tight? Do you have to use any "fixes" or do the pillows stay in?
Not tight but snug enough that the pillows don't slide, the headgear is above my ears, and the oral cushion surrounds my mouth (it was sitting a bit too low in the beginning). However, I still need an extra pillow strap. I use 2 small covered ponytail scrunchies looped together a la BB's pics above (thanks BB!). Each loop goes inside the upper strap that attaches to the plastic shell to make another strap, this one goes in front of the mask on the outside of the pillows applying for me the ideal pressure to keep the pillows in place.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks BB, for both pictures and link.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:55 am

Are you using those Christmas light things? How is it attaching to the pillows?
Muse-Inc wrote:
SleepingUgly wrote:...is the top strap pretty tight? Do you have to use any "fixes" or do the pillows stay in?
Not tight but snug enough that the pillows don't slide, the headgear is above my ears, and the oral cushion surrounds my mouth (it was sitting a bit too low in the beginning). However, I still need an extra pillow strap. I use 2 small covered ponytail scrunchies looped together a la BB's pics above (thanks BB!). Each loop goes inside the upper strap that attaches to the plastic shell to make another strap, this one goes in front of the mask on the outside of the pillows applying for me the ideal pressure to keep the pillows in place.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:34 pm

@ SU: How'd it go last night? I don't think Muse uses the light clips. It sounds like she runs the looped scrunchies from one (upper, side) strap to the other, across the front of the base of the pillows. I hope Muse responds to confirm or correct my understanding.

@ ozij: My pleasure. With all the help I've received (and continue to receive) here, it makes me happy to be able to do my part and help someone else.

@ Muse: Post a pic!

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:09 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:@ SU: How'd it go last night? I don't think Muse uses the light clips. It sounds like she runs the looped scrunchies from one (upper, side) strap to the other, across the front of the base of the pillows. I hope Muse responds to confirm or correct my understanding.
Thanks for asking! I tightened the top strap and that lifted it away from my ears, solving that problem (yay!). Also the pillows stayed in somewhat better, although at one point I think they came out. I have a little red dot on the rim of one nostil that I hope won't turn into anything. I woke up many times, not sure why. Hope that improves! I think I'll do this one more night without "fixes" and see what happens. I cannot imagine how Rooster sleeps on his stomach, though! I would love that, but can't even imagine how the vents wouldn't get blocked (even if pantyhose kept the pillows in).

My husband was trying to help me with the mask and I kept shoving a printout of Rooster's Hybrid directions at him, saying, "Read what Rooster says!" Finally, he said, "Enough about the cock!"

You guys are great. Thanks so much! I'll keep you posted.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:04 am

Muse, how does it stay on the pillows?
Muse-Inc wrote:

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:56 am

BB, guess what? Your elegant little fix earned you one of these:

As well as a place on the Lab Rat Awards page, in the Hybrid fixes section.

LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104

Congrats!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:58 am

I'm not sure if this is your first time using nasal pillows, SU, but I'll sas this anyway: many of use have irritated nostrils after fire using nasal pillows.

The trick it to let the irritation heal, keep it from becoming a pressure sore. Often one night's break is enough.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023