Affordable Battery Backup

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
powerprotectioncam

Affordable Battery Backup

Post by powerprotectioncam » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 am

I am a fellow CPAP user and would like to help anyone interested in keeping there CPAP/APAP machines running, in case of a power outage. Battery Backup units not only keep units running when the power is out.... they also have a surge compressor and brownout "booster" (they have a "Smart Boost" feature, in case of under-voltage). Keeping these machines protected from the always changing "alternating current" will help your CPAP/APAP machine last much longer.

I can offer a 1000VA UPS, with the speaker disabled and with new APC approved batteries for $195 (new list price is $459) plus shipping. New units purcahsed from APC will not have the alarm disabled. With the alarm being disabled, you can sleep through a power outage without being disrupted by the alarm. The batteries we install are APC approved and rated to last 3-5 years. I can offer a one year warranty on each unit.

Let me know if I can be of any help guys/gals. Thanks for reading.

Cameron Woolf
Power Protection Partners
(800) 423-8436 x110
(972) 635-2999 x110

Paul56

Re: Affordable Battery Backup

Post by Paul56 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:00 am

New or used?

Which model of APC UPS is this?

powerprotectioncam

Post by powerprotectioncam » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:15 am

It is refurbished with new APC approved batteries.

Model: SUA1000

Thanks for the reply and the interest!

-Cameron-

CorgiGirl

Post by CorgiGirl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:41 am

Would this model be able to power two xPAPs at the same time? How long would the battery last with two? In our case, both APAPs with lower settings of 9 and 10, 90% for both of us 12.

Thanks.

Machine: Respironics M series Auto with A-Flex
Humidifier: Respironics M series Heated Humidifier
Software: Encore Viewer

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:12 pm

Nice unit... they retail for ~$500 up here in Canada.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5un7sx

...and of particular interest to me I notice the following about this unit:

"...With pure sine-wave output ensuring compatibility with all connected devices..."

powerprotectioncam

Post by powerprotectioncam » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm

CorgiGirl wrote:Would this model be able to power two xPAPs at the same time? How long would the battery last with two? In our case, both APAPs with lower settings of 9 and 10, 90% for both of us 12.

Thanks.
I have found that almost all CPAP/APAP machines run around (or at) 1.0 Amp each.

According to APC's website configurator:

One CPAP, running at 1.0 Amps (120 Watts): you should get 84 minutes (1 hour & 24 minutes) of uptime.
Two CPAP's, running at 1.0 Amps (120 Watts) each (2.0 Amps / 240 Watts total): you should get 35 minutes of uptime.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:46 pm

powerprotectioncam wrote: One CPAP, running at 1.0 Amps (120 Watts): you should get 84 minutes (1 hour & 24 minutes) of uptime.
My question is completely innocent of any contentiousness. I am pretty new to all this, and wonder why I would want a battery backup which does not allow a full night's sleep? When power goes out in winter, it is often for a day--sometimes even more. Aren't there battery backups which will provide for this?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:19 am

I think that all CPAP users that (1) are worried about being able to survive for an hour and a half without their machine, (2) are presently living in an area wher it is common for the power to go off for less than an hour and a half, not longer, (3) do not own a surge protector, (4) see no need to get an all-night battery setup, and (5) are pleased with the warranty offered, the BBB rating, and the compatibility guarantees and return policies of the company they plan to deal with and give their credit card number to--well, they should definitely look further into spending more than a hundred dollars on a rebuilt UPS in order to have peace of mind for the next few years before the UPS needs to be replaced or re-re-reconditioned or whatever.

What's that Web site, or auction site, again?

(Sorry. Feeling contentious. Not in a hugging mood. Hope I didn't hurt power-man's feelings.)

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:38 am

Having bought a lot of APC UPS's over many years, I find they all are very reliable and last a long time at least until they get a really close lightening strike. The oldest of the four remaining was bought in 1995 and is still working just fine.

I am one who replaces batteries rather than the unit, but worked for a company that didn't. The ones with dead batteries would probably have been just fine if replaced like mine have. My only caution is to get a APC or really good replacement battery as I tried an inexpensive one with equal ratings but it only lasted a year and was a false economic decision.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:57 am

ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:01 pm

Be careful buying used APC units, there were a ton of them floating on the used market few years back without batteries, that is because they were recalled by APC for fire hazard with their inverter board, APC sent out replacement units and you were to remove your battery and install it in the replacement unit and send the defective unit back less battery, a lot of them didn't send them back so the defective ones are still floating around.

You can by a brand new Tripp-Lite from Costco for less than $195, get a warranty and even exchange it under Costco's liberal exchange policy.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Good Point Snoredog! I'd forgotten (sigh) about that recall. So... I'll take back what I said about APC re-furbished units. Don't know if uh... (the original poster) knows if his are checked against a list or somehow proven not to be affected.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

powerprotectioncam

Post by powerprotectioncam » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Snoredog wrote:Be careful buying used APC units, there were a ton of them floating on the used market few years back without batteries, that is because they were recalled by APC for fire hazard with their inverter board, APC sent out replacement units and you were to remove your battery and install it in the replacement unit and send the defective unit back less battery, a lot of them didn't send them back so the defective ones are still floating around.

You can by a brand new Tripp-Lite from Costco for less than $195, get a warranty and even exchange it under Costco's liberal exchange policy.

We are aware of this recall and compare all serial numbers against the defective units serial numbers before buying any units. We have yet to buy a "recalled APC" unit and have been in business since 1982!!

I would caution you against buying a Tripp-Lite UPS. We bought 100 of them last year and 95 of them were bad... no joke! When buy 100 APC units, the most that would be bad is 5 or 6 units (tops). Tripp-Lite is no where close to APC in quality.

herbertk12

Post by herbertk12 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:42 am

Will this UPS allow me to use a resmed s8 AND Heated humidifier? I am not sure what Automatic Voltage Regulation means. Is this a Pure Sine Wave?
Thanks
Ken

Starvinmarvin

Post by Starvinmarvin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 pm

The New Phone # for Power Protection Partners is 1-800-423-8436 ext 3 and ask for Marvin