Aura, Breeze or Switft

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:12 pm

The Breeze is comfortable and stable for side-sleeping.
However, I only get one night's use out of it!
Invariably, I encounter major leak-isues on Night #2.
Don't know why, but always have problems the second night.

gailzee

Re: Aura, Breeze or Switft

Post by gailzee » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:02 pm

I use the swift. Tried the Breeze/Aura, and all that hard firm plastic nonsense to me was uncomfortable, no matter how I would've tweaked it. I am sticking with the swift. I went from a medium which the DME (casper ghost, never saw her again) said most ''woman'' wear. Well this woman, needed the large, and I didn't think that my schnoze was all that ""LARGE". It has sealed off quite nicely and I do not hear leaks out of it, unless I move it. Side sleeper which I am, takes a little getting comfy, mainly hanging my face sort of off-side the pillow while lying on my side, so I've gotten used to that pretty much. I do notice that since I bought the memory foam mattress topper and memory foam pillow, I am more comfortable overall, esp. in my neck area.

Good Luck.........

[quote="Sleepless on LI"]This is my last appeal for advice when it comes to this type of nasal pillow device. Which is the best as far as no leaks and no cause to wake up at night due to adjustments? I am willing to take on the soreness in the beginning and the use of gels until my nose gets used to pillows. If that's the only drawback, hallelujah. But no pressure sores or straps that irritate, clips and the like...And I've heard Restedgal speak of the headgear on the Aura that should be scaled down to fit a woman's head, and I think my skull is large enough to accomodate a headgear like this (no jokes, please). I have also heard MANY people speak of the noise that comes from the Swift. I am also a side-sleeper and the Swift doesn't look like it will do it for me. I just don't know!!! I just want to try to make one purchase that I won't be sorry for later on. I've been on CPAP for six weeks and I am so "tired" of waking a few times during the night, adjusting my Activa due to leaks. And, yes, I HAVE tried everything under the sun, moon and stars with the Activa to try not to have these leaks, including the mole skin, but no luck.

I know in CPAP Land one man's ceiling is another man's floor, but I am just trying to get the general consensus on this. Thanks for any feedback you can offer. (Smiling face-since my smilies aren't working)

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:39 pm

Okay. Thank you all for your help. I went on to this site today and ended up with the Breeze. A few considerations were taken into account, especially the side sleeping and the noise elements. Right now, wearing the Activa, I cannot stand having to hang my face off the side of my pillow so as to not disturb the positioning of the mask. To have to go through that all over again with the Swift steered me away, not to mention everyone on this site, just about, complained about noise from the Swift. Also, after hearing mostly positive comments about the Breeze and looking at the pictures (not to mention Restedgal's remake of the headgear, which doesn't look so hard, and I think 4Katie's comment about getting a full night's sleep after modifying hers that way), I figured a side-sleeper like myself probably will do best with this one. They say it's a new and improved version, and I always like when they say that because hopefully it means they took some you former users' complaints to heart and modified it accordingly to make it more user-friendly.
I will post a thread once I've used it and have drawn an opinion. I took the option of overnighting it (money is no object when it comes to a good night's sleep) and will have it by tomorrow, so just in time to try something new for the weekend. Wish me luck - hopefully I won't need it???

L o R i

CareS

Can you wear eye glasses with the Breeze?

Post by CareS » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:53 am

Just wanted to know if you can wear eyeglasses with the Breeze Mask. Looking at the picture, I would say probably not. I cannot fall asleep without the TV on. Watching TV is difficult with the Aptiva. Maybe if they invented a new style of eyeglass for cpap users. Any suggestions..CareS

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi there , CareS - you've been away so long I thought this thread was a spammer's resurection! Glad to see you. How are you doing?
How's your improved Comfort Curve?

No eye glasses with the Breeze. Maybe you can wear them, but it's the looking that won't function too well --
You get too much material between your eyes.

I believe the new style of eyeglasses is called something like 24X7 contact lenses....

Sigh.... I can't use any kind of contacts since developing an allergic reaction to having a foreign body in my eyes

O.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): breeze

CareS

Post by CareS » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Thank you ozij for the welcome back. I have totally given up on the comfort curve. I do own a Swift if I can only find it and I know you can wear glasses with that one. The Aptiva is the mask I have been able to tolerate the longest but it is not comfortable for side sleeping. Sometimes I will hold my glasses in front and that is one way of turning a small tv screen into a large somewhat distorted screen since my glasses are bi focals. Perhaps it would be possible to wear glasses with the Breeze. I do not own a breeze but have heard favorable comments about it. CareS

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:02 pm

Hi CareS, it's good to see you posting!

ozij is right about the front of the Breeze being a distraction, but it is possible to wear glasses with the Breeze if you can take your mind off of (and look beyond) that center hose guide.

When I used to use the Breeze, I occasionally put on my reading glasses underneath the Breeze, and was able to read a book with no difficulty. Kind of like the way we ignore the frames of glasses, we can ignore the vertical front of the Breeze. Or, I can, anyway.

It's easy to put glasses on and take them off just by pulling the shell of the Breeze gently forward and slipping the glasses on from below.

Christinequilts once described a way to put glasses on and off while wearing the Breeze...not dislodging the nasal pillows at all. She said just turn the glasses upside down with stems pointing forward (away from you), and slide them in sideways, one stem first. When you have them in front of your eyes, flip them back toward you and they're on. Breeze never had to be moved. Reverse the procedure to remove the glasses.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

CareS

Post by CareS » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:32 am

Hi Rested Gal, I found my Swift which is relatively new but have not had success sleeping with it for more than two hours. I do not like the nasal pillows although it is a great mask for not obstructing my view for reading, TV etc. and good for side sleeping if only I could get used to it. I like the nasal interface on the Comfort Curve so I think if there is a mask out there that combines the Swift and comfort curve that might be the answer. If you have any suggestions on how to make the Swift more comfortable I would like to hear it or what other Mask would you recommend? Does the breeze have the same kind of pillows as the Swift? Is it more comfortable than the Swift? Thanks for your info. CareS

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:51 am

One of the big reasons I wanted the Swift was for that ability to easily get my glasses on and off. The thinking was (at the time) that I often fall asleep watching teh news and I could have my mask already on. Well.... in reality... now that I HAVE the Swift and have been using it for months... I take my glasses off, put on the mask and fire up the machine. I don't wear teh mask while watching TV after all.

Today I should be picking up a new ComfortLite2. We'll see how that goes.

Born Tired

Post by Born Tired » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:10 pm

I have used the Aura for over a year now and find it the most comfortable interface I've tried (Breeze is one of them). I can toss and turn and sleep on my side and hardly ever have to think about the thing. I have used my glasses with it but just lift the nasal pillows out to remove glasses--takes all of about 1 second. After reading RG's post on Christinequilts suggestion:

"Christinequilts once described a way to put glasses on and off while wearing the Breeze...not dislodging the nasal pillows at all. She said just turn the glasses upside down with stems pointing forward (away from you), and slide them in sideways, one stem first. When you have them in front of your eyes, flip them back toward you and they're on. Breeze never had to be moved. Reverse the procedure to remove the glasses."

...I went up to try it with my Aura so I could let you know if it works. Well...a word of caution. Don't try that method if you have very thin metal rims. During the "flip" the nose piece bent. When I went to bend them back...well, all I can say is I'd better log off and go make an appointment for a new pair of glasses. Hope the super glue is handy.

Esther
--

My husband says, "Esther is not a morning person---and it goes downhill from there."

I Thes. 5:16 "Rejoice evermore."

rested gal

Re: Can you wear eye glasses with the Breeze?

Post by rested gal » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:41 pm

CareS wrote:I like the nasal interface on the Comfort Curve so I think if there is a mask out there that combines the Swift and comfort curve that might be the answer.
CareS, I think you might like the Respironics ComfortLite 2 mask. You can order two "options" in the purchase price of that mask... I'd suggest getting the nasal pillows and the "simple cushion." The simple cushion is a tiny nasal mask that fits over the tip of the nose (not under it, the way the CC's nasal cushion does.) That's as close to being like the CC's nasal cushion as I've seen. I think you'd find it as comfortable as the CC's little nasal thingy. I had to put a homemade strap (yeah, the "leg") around the CL2's simple cushion to keep it from leaking. Sealed great that way and was quite comfortable.

You won't have a clear view out front the way you do with the Swift, but you can wear your glasses under the ComfortLite 2 in the same way that I described wearing them under the Breeze. As with the Breeze, you will have a vertical column running up between your eyes. But if you can get used to looking "past" that, glasses can be worn under the CL2.

Actually, since connection in front and the nasal parts are clear plastic on the CL2, there's less distraction of having something in front of the face while wearing glasses, than there is with the Breeze and its dark colored plastic hose guide.
CareS wrote:If you have any suggestions on how to make the Swift more comfortable I would like to hear it or what other Mask would you recommend? Does the breeze have the same kind of pillows as the Swift? Is it more comfortable than the Swift? Thanks for your info. CareS
I'm not a good person to ask about making the Swift more comfortable. I found it too noisy for me, so I never tried to do much else with it. You can probably find good tips in the topics at this link:

viewtopic.php?t=3934
LINKS to Swift nasal pillows topics

I found the Breeze to be a little more comfortable for sleeping on my side, but I really didn't have much trouble with the Swift in that regard.

If you do get a Breeze, I'd suggest getting the Large and the Medium pillows. The Large are softer and smushier than the Medium. There's something about that clear silicone of the Medium that is just a little "harder" than the smushier silicone of the light green Large and the pale blue Small. I have average smallish nares for a woman, but the Large pillows in the Breeze work great for me.

I'd suggest fixes from the topics below, if you get the Breeze and have any difficulty using it (especially any difficulty sleeping on your back):

Sep 30, 2006 subject: Roberto's Breeze Mod #1 - UPDATED picture and description of a fix to remove the back of headgear, by "DreamStalker"

Aug 02, 2006 subject: Modified Breeze with CL2 Strap picture and description of a fix to remove the back of headgear and use ComfortLite 2 headgear by "puffing billy"

Oct 29, 2006 subject: How does Adams circuit compare with new Breeze picture and description of using the ComfortFull headgear (back of Breeze removed) by "puffing billy"

If you get the ComfortLite 2, you might want to try some of the fixes here:

Apr 14, 2006 subject: ComfortLite 2 without the elbow drawings and description of removal of swivel elbow on top of headgear - by rested gal

Oct 28, 2006 subject: ComfortLite 2, Revisited photos of oldgearhead's "garbage bag ties" fix.

Apr 30, 2006 subject: Fix Turns ComfortLite 2 to Perfection photo of NightHawkeye's "fishing line" fix
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

GoofyUT

Invarcare Twilight NP

Post by GoofyUT » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:41 pm

Hey RG-

Have you any experience with using glasses with the Twilight NP??? I LOVE my Swift for convenience and life-style reasons and my unobstructed view with my glasses, but my numbers are just not as good as with my Activa. But, I can't wear my glasses at all with the Activa, and I HATE having to go through the mask-up rigamarole AFTER I've settled into bed with a copy of the New Yorker, and am ready to turn out the light and go to sleep.

So, have you found any success with the Aura and glasses?

Thanks RG!

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

CareS

Can you wear glasses with the Breeze

Post by CareS » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:44 pm

Here is a thought. If you have an old pair of glasses you don't need anymore, break them in half where they go over the bridge of the nose. Depending on what side you sleep on, with me it is the right side so I can watch TV. I could put the left side of my glasses on. The fact that I am lying down will hold them in place. It will be sort of like a monacle. I suppose you could go to the optical store and order and half pair of glasses. That might be a first. Anyway I will read up on the Comfortlite 2 and the Aura. Thank you for your input. I will be looking into buying another mask sometime in the new year. Also thanks for your advice on putting glasses on with the Breeze. About breathing, I have been concerned lately because I seem to get out of breath with very little exertion like bending over to pick something up or a short walk to the store. I guess I should see the doctor. Anyone else with this problem. CareS

rested gal

Re: Invarcare Twilight NP

Post by rested gal » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:56 pm

GoofyUT wrote:So, have you found any success with the Aura and glasses?
Chuck, I'm able to wear my reading glasses with the Aura (Twilight NP) by simply setting them on the front of the horseshoe shaped nasal pillows assembly. On the outside. Not having the glasses on my nose at all. The front of the nasal pillows holder bows out ever so slightly at the bottom...just enough that it makes a little shelf for the bottom rim of the lenses to rest on. The silicone is "grippy" enough that the glasses don't slide off.

That does make the glasses sit out away from my face an inch or less farther out than they would be if I were wearing them in a normal fashion. Doesn't seem to cause any problem focussing.

I use glasses under the Breeze and the Comfortlite 2, and out in front of the Twilight NP. Works for me. I guess everyone's mileage would vary.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435