discouraged

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jashmir3

discouraged

Post by jashmir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:35 am

Hi all. It's Char. I am ending my first week with my cpap and I am getting very discouraged. Please tell me if this is normal. I have only been able to sleep with it on through the night twice. Also, I have been using the humidifier so I can't tell if my constant runny nose is from that or a cold, or if allergies. I apologize for being a whiner!!! Needed to vent.
Longing 4 rest!!

Tampa Tom

Post by Tampa Tom » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:43 am

From what I understand, the CPAP may take a little time to adjust to. This sounds like a normal reaction.

Every spring, I have wicked nasal allergies from oak pollen. My doc prescribes me Nasonex. And, for the first week - I always think my Doc must be crazy. THere is little - if any relief while the Nasonex goes to work. But, shortly after a week and a half - BLAMMO - I feel like I can breathe again.

Just hang in there and keep talking to your doc...
Take off you hoseheads!
---- Bob McKenzie (Strange Brew - 1983)

Remstar Auto with CFlex (5 - 15)
Swift Mask with Medium Nasal Pillows

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:46 am

Don't get down, it will get better. As has been said many times on the forum, everyone need to find what works best for them. I too had a very hard time adjusting when I first went on CPAP, and gave up for almost a year.

Now that I've found a mask that works for me, I'm back on it and sleeping much better than ever before. It's only been about 2 weeks that I've been back on the CPAP, I don't feel 100% better yet, but after missing a night a few days ago, I realized how much it had been helping me. For me at least, its been small, gradual improvements.

Don't give up, just keep trying to find what works best for you. It does work, believe me.

jashmir3

Post by jashmir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:51 am

Thanx for the encouragement. I needed it. I have a question. Without cpap, I very rarely wake up in the night. With cpap I wake up alot. How can I tell if I am being woken up by my mouth opening up or if I am just not comfortable with the new husband I have? (a.k.a. cpap)
Longing 4 rest!!

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:59 am

I was actually going to ask the same question. I'm still a realative newbie at this, only at 140 hours on my machine, and 60 of that was almost a year ago.

BC (before CPAP), I rarely woke up during the night, or at least I never remembered waking up. Since I've been back on the mask, I know I wake up at night, sometimes multiple times. With my old mask it was due, at least inpart, to discomfort. But with my new mask (ultra mirage FF), discomfort so far isn't an issue.

Last night, for example, I went to bed early for me, around 9:30. I woke up at 12:30, 3:30 and 5:00, before getting out of bed at 6:00. No idea why. Anybody else got expirience with this?

jashmir3

Post by jashmir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:09 am

Hockeydad-----You said you have a full face mask? With that you are still waking up lots? That's kinda what I thought might be what I would need if I was waking because of my mouth flying open. So I guess I am still wondering. I have a Mirage Swift Pillow system, so my nose is sore and raw. Also with the constant blowing of it tissues aren't helping. When I get up and take my mask off, my nose hurts like I got popped in the face or something.
Longing 4 rest!!

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:17 am

Yes, I have a FF mask, not sure if that's what's causing me to wake up or not yet. One thing I didn't post that is a possible/probable culprit is that I currently have a broken rib, broke it last week playing hockey (I'm getting too old for that apparently). The last 2 nights have been my first without pain killers, that may have something to do with it.

But with my old, nasal mask, I know I was waking up due to pain & discomfort, as well as a slight claustrophobic reaction to having to keep my mouth shut. Not having that problem with the new mask.

Also, yes, my nose hurt like hell with the old mask, main reason I switched to a new one. I still get slight red marks, but no where close to the pain I had with the old mask.

jashmir3

Post by jashmir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:32 am

How long did you have that mask? Did the pain last the whole time?
Broken rib--sounds painful!!!
Longing 4 rest!!

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:18 am

Hi Char
Don't be discouraged. There have been a number of posts this week on sore noses - actually on what to do about them - look at those suggestions. And take look at Diary of a new hoser that littlebaddow kept, and so thoughtfully posted.

It take time, the beginning is difficult - and pain should not be put up with. Sore noses are no fun - if aren't already doing it, look for the softest tissues you can find and use only them.

It'll get better.
Good luck!
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

gailzee

Re: discouraged

Post by gailzee » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:23 am

Do't get discouraged, we probably have all had problems. I use the swift n. pillow, so I cannot relate to the full face mask problems, but the sound of all that on your face, may be causing some discomfort. Have you tried any other nasal interface types, n. masks, nasal pillows, etc. A good source to talk to is CPAP.COM, they are very helpful, may walk u thru some suggestions.

Allergy season has started with a big tree pollen explosion here in the northeast, we have had so much rain that the mold and early tree pollen season is here. I've been lucky, but last few days, sinuses, allergies, all add to discomfort once strapping on something that basically closes your nose off. I use claritin. It's an OTC allergy med, may work for you? IMHO...

Feel better.......
jashmir3 wrote::(Hi all. It's Char. I am ending my first week with my cpap and I am getting very discouraged. Please tell me if this is normal. I have only been able to sleep with it on through the night twice. Also, I have been using the humidifier so I can't tell if my constant runny nose is from that or a cold, or if allergies. I apologize for being a whiner!!! Needed to vent.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:32 am

jashmir3 wrote: I have a Mirage Swift Pillow system, so my nose is sore and raw. Also with the constant blowing of it tissues aren't helping. When I get up and take my mask off, my nose hurts like I got popped in the face or something.
Char,
There was also a very detailed discussion of how to use the Swift on the other message board The Sw_ft revisited, You might pick up some tips there too especiall from dareman2's post.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Dot

Post by Dot » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:46 am

One difference I found between using the FFmask and not using it is that without it I would stay asleep for about 2 and sometimes 3 hours a night and was awake from the time I woke up till went to sleep the following night. I did seem to have more energy and accomplished more. With the machine I sometimes sleep 4 to 5 hour a night without waking up, other times I sleep about 3 hours, wake up, watch TV for a while and manage to go back to sleep for a couple more hours. So, even nights i wake up, If get back to sleep and will end up with more hours of sleep than used to get.
So, do feel the FFmask is helping me get more sleep. After a year, I am sleeping more hours without waking than before-so over time things are improving.

JimH

Post by JimH » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:21 pm

I am at month 5 with the running nose and sneezing. It still doesn't get much better. Everyone says it will get better. I guess I have been a mouth breather for sooo long that my nose just aint used to it. The runny nose is actually resulting from the membranes swelling in reaction to the foreced air at a pressure much higher than you are used to. the nose spray helps to reduce the swelling. Try an allergy or antihistimine OTC as noted before. It does help a little.

jashmir3

Post by jashmir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:24 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am going to hope for a descent nights sleep tonight. Good night to you all too!!!!
Longing 4 rest!!

notbigenuf1

Post by notbigenuf1 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:33 pm

You had 2 nights in a week that you slept through the night, if so thats pretty good i figure most everybody wakes up at least once a night sleep apnea or not!! maybe i'm wrong! but stick with your machine you will get used to it good luck