Full face mask option for bearded dude?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepyhead22
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:44 am

Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by sleepyhead22 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 pm

Hi all,

Relatively new to cpap, started about a month ago.

My biggest problem seems to be with mouth leak. As I have a beard, I decided on trying nasal masks to start with. I've tried the resmed p10, philips nasal pillow and philips under the nose. The p10 seems to be the best. Unfortunately with all of them I've had mouth leak. My AHI hasn't been too bad despite the leak, usually between 1 and 2, but the leak wakes me up several times in the middle of the night. I've tried multiple solutions for the leak including 3 different types of chin strap, mouth tape (which comes off about halfway through the night), and a moldable mouth guard as the chin straps were causing teeth grinding.

My questions are:
1. Is anyone familiar with a full face mask that is effective and comfortable in guys with beards?
2. Any other experiences from anyone who has had a similar situation?

Thanks everyone
Newbie

User avatar
Jlfinkels
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: Atlanta,GA

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by Jlfinkels » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:08 pm

I’ve had similar issues with mouth leaks with a P10 which I solved with a soft cervical collar. If you want to stay with a full face mask, if you trim the hairs under where the mask sits it should seal fine after that. I use a Resmed AirFit F20 (silicon seal) when my allergies are flaring and by keeping the hairs on either side of my mouth and under my bottom lip well trimmed the mask seals fine. The Resmed AirTouch F20 uses a memory foam seal that seems like it would work, but folks have said the memory foam breaks down quickly. My P10 is about a year old and still works fine and my F20 is about the same with no issues.
Calculate the odds of succeeding versus the odds of doing something incredibly stupid, then go ahead anyway.

User avatar
jimbud
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:19 pm

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by jimbud » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:17 pm

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 pm
My questions are:
1. Is anyone familiar with a full face mask that is effective and comfortable in guys with beards?
2. Any other experiences from anyone who has had a similar situation?
It depends on the length and/or coarseness of ones beard.

I have a full beard trimmed fairly short most of the time. I have had luck with:

1. Resmed F20

2. F&P Evora FF

3. Resmed F30i. The Evora FF nasal cradle works much better for me, otherwise similar results.

I always have some leakage through beard hair, but still keep therapy pressure and leaks are tame enough that it does not wake me.

As always YMMV. :wink:

JPB

There are probably others that work. These are the ones I have personally used.

_________________
Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Sleep on a Buckwheat Hull Pillow.

sleepyhead22
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:44 am

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by sleepyhead22 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:22 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:08 pm
I’ve had similar issues with mouth leaks with a P10 which I solved with a soft cervical collar. If you want to stay with a full face mask, if you trim the hairs under where the mask sits it should seal fine after that. I use a Resmed AirFit F20 (silicon seal) when my allergies are flaring and by keeping the hairs on either side of my mouth and under my bottom lip well trimmed the mask seals fine. The Resmed AirTouch F20 uses a memory foam seal that seems like it would work, but folks have said the memory foam breaks down quickly. My P10 is about a year old and still works fine and my F20 is about the same with no issues.
Thanks so much for that! I just researched it and the internets confirmed pretty much everything you said. The Airtouch F20 with the memory foam seems to be really well liked by bearded people, with the main complaint, as you said, being the durability of the memory foam. I may give it a shot, and see if my insurance will pay for the foam once a month. Apparently resmed recommends changing the memory foam seal every 30 days! Btw did you ever try the Airtouch? Or was the memory foam cost prohibitive. From what I can tell even people with massive beards don't have leak, making trimming unnecessary. And apparently it's more comfortable that the silicone.
Newbie

sleepyhead22
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:44 am

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by sleepyhead22 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:26 pm

jimbud wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:17 pm
sleepyhead22 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 pm
My questions are:
1. Is anyone familiar with a full face mask that is effective and comfortable in guys with beards?
2. Any other experiences from anyone who has had a similar situation?
It depends on the length and/or coarseness of ones beard.

I have a full beard trimmed fairly short most of the time. I have had luck with:

1. Resmed F20

2. F&P Evora FF

3. Resmed F30i. The Evora FF nasal cradle works much better for me, otherwise similar results.

I always have some leakage through beard hair, but still keep therapy pressure and leaks are tame enough that it does not wake me.

As always YMMV. :wink:

JPB

There are probably others that work. These are the ones I have personally used.
Thanks for you post! My beard hair is quite coarse, and I'd say medium length, definitely not short. I think I'll try the Resmed F20 with the memory foam, as you're the second person who's recommended it here, and a quick internet search showed a lot of bearded people happy with it.
Newbie

User avatar
zonker
Posts: 9331
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by zonker » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:50 pm

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 pm
Hi all,

Relatively new to cpap, started about a month ago.

My biggest problem seems to be with mouth leak. As I have a beard, I decided on trying nasal masks to start with.
like jlfinkels, i use a firm foam cervical collar. i also use the scunci method-viewtopic.php?p=1089718&f=1&t=112758&p= ... s#p1086296

i've modified jay's rig in that i add a second scunci and two elastic bands. really works well for me in stopping leaks.

good luck!
why folks don't like it when asked to clarify their statements?
We can't take this journey for you, but there is a forum full of people here who will gladly take it with you.-jnk

sleepyhead22
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:44 am

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by sleepyhead22 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:53 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:50 pm
sleepyhead22 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 pm
Hi all,

Relatively new to cpap, started about a month ago.

My biggest problem seems to be with mouth leak. As I have a beard, I decided on trying nasal masks to start with.
like jlfinkels, i use a firm foam cervical collar. i also use the scunci method-viewtopic.php?p=1089718&f=1&t=112758&p= ... s#p1086296

i've modified jay's rig in that i add a second scunci and two elastic bands. really works well for me in stopping leaks.

good luck!
Thanks for your reply. A lot of people have been recommending a cervical collar. Is there a reason you went with firm foam as opposed to soft? Some folks use soft collars. Also, I'm having difficulty visualizing your modified elastic scunci rig. Any way you could post a photo? I know that can be a hassle so no worries if not.
Newbie

User avatar
zonker
Posts: 9331
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by zonker » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:59 pm

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:53 pm


Thanks for your reply. A lot of people have been recommending a cervical collar. Is there a reason you went with firm foam as opposed to soft? Some folks use soft collars. Also, I'm having difficulty visualizing your modified elastic scunci rig. Any way you could post a photo? I know that can be a hassle so no worries if not.
Image

that's an old shot,taken before i added the second elastic. the second is worn similarly, but goes over my upper lip.

soft vs firm is just nomenclature . i mean to say that's not the RIGID cervical collar. using a rigid one may have a tendency to cause injury wearing it in bed.

if more questions, please ask.
why folks don't like it when asked to clarify their statements?
We can't take this journey for you, but there is a forum full of people here who will gladly take it with you.-jnk

sleepyhead22
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:44 am

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by sleepyhead22 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:08 pm

Two more questions actually before I give this a try.

I sleep with only boxers on and unless really cold don't usually have sheets on (don't like it warm when I sleep). Doesn't this setup keep you warm?

Second, do you feel that both the cervical collar and scunci rig are necessary? Just one or the other are not sufficient to deal with mouth leak?

Thanks again
Newbie

User avatar
zonker
Posts: 9331
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by zonker » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:27 pm

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:08 pm
Two more questions actually before I give this a try.

I sleep with only boxers on and unless really cold don't usually have sheets on (don't like it warm when I sleep). Doesn't this setup keep you warm?

Second, do you feel that both the cervical collar and scunci rig are necessary? Just one or the other are not sufficient to deal with mouth leak?

Thanks again
sleeping cold is a subjective thing. it doesn't make me warm but can't say if that's true for you.

both are necessary for ME. maybe less so for you. try the collar and see how she goes. or try the scunci rig and see how it goes. you won't know until you try.

good luck.

and pls DO report back, even if it's to say that none of it worked for you.
why folks don't like it when asked to clarify their statements?
We can't take this journey for you, but there is a forum full of people here who will gladly take it with you.-jnk

User avatar
Brad S
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:48 am

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by Brad S » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:10 pm

I am new here and having a terrible time feeling like I am suffocating which I am sure everyone here is tired of listening to me whine about and I don't have much advice to give yet, but I have the P10 nasal pillows. My wife has an extra F30 that she doesn't like and I tried it last night. I too have a big beard and the time I was able to keep it on my face it sealed perfectly. The only good score I got last night was the seal. 20/20
It is like half a full-face mask. Her mask is a medium and I need a large, but it definitely worked for me.

User avatar
Jlfinkels
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: Atlanta,GA

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by Jlfinkels » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:34 pm

Bloody heck, apologies for the double post :D
Last edited by Jlfinkels on Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calculate the odds of succeeding versus the odds of doing something incredibly stupid, then go ahead anyway.

User avatar
Jlfinkels
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: Atlanta,GA

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by Jlfinkels » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:38 pm

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:22 pm
Btw did you ever try the Airtouch? Or was the memory foam cost prohibitive. From what I can tell even people with massive beards don't have leak, making trimming unnecessary. And apparently it's more comfortable that the silicone.
I buy my own gear and am too cheap to replace the memory foam, so just use the silicon. I get a year or more out of it and it works for me so no reason to change.

I see Z responded as well. He’s the one who taught me the secret sauce, so listen to his advice.
Calculate the odds of succeeding versus the odds of doing something incredibly stupid, then go ahead anyway.

Xchief30
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:25 pm

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by Xchief30 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:04 pm

F&P Evora Full Face Mask !!! I have a trimmed beard and an a mouth breather. The Evora is the most comfortable mask I've used in years. Usually no leaks or only minimal one. Check online, a lot of places have a 30 day money back guarantee on this mask. The fit pack comes with the three mask sizes. Hopefully we'll work for you.

_________________
Machine: AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Evora Full Face Mask - Fitpack
Additional Comments: CPAP since 2015

sleepyhead22
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:44 am

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by sleepyhead22 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:56 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:27 pm
and pls DO report back, even if it's to say that none of it worked for you.

Appreciate everyone's responses. Zonker I finally received the Resmed F20 airtouch (memory foam) face mask yesterday and had a miserable time last night. Ended up taking it off. The problem was that to be able to get a decent seal I had to make it so tight I could feel my own pulse on the mask. Not comfortable. I've trimmed my beard quite a bit and ready to try again tonight, but I think I'll try the scunci method and a cervical collar with the old P10 as a backup.

Could you give me more details on your modified scunci? Do you have the scuncis wrapped around your head or do you have an ear cutout like the original post? Also, I understand that you're doubling up on the scuncis but don't get your elastics.

Thanks again all, Zonker
Newbie