Full Face mask is leaking

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
strawberryfields
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 am

Full Face mask is leaking

Post by strawberryfields » Sun May 08, 2022 9:40 am

Hello,

after having gained some weight my full face mask doesn't seem to fit my face anymore and is leaking a lot, especially from the lower part and on the sides. It's the Resmed Airfit F20 for her mask medium size. I can't get a new mask fitting for a while, so I want to buy a new mask or a new cushion myself. I was wondering if anyone has an idea which mask would be best to get in this case? Or would simply getting a large cushion instead of a medium solve the problem?
Thanks!
Airsense 10 For Her
F20 full face mask

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 12417
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun May 08, 2022 11:58 am

Have you carefully reviewed three or four youtube videos on fitting and adjusting the F20? It could be as simple as the headgear needs readjusting.

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 60811
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 08, 2022 12:05 pm

Also...how old is the headgear of the current mask? Maybe just need fresh new headgear???

But if you have been itching to try something new anyway...maybe now is a good time.

Sorry I am of zero help for choosing or fitting because I don't use a FFM but the same thought can also be applied to nasal masks when for some reason we can't seem to make them work for us and have been eyeballing a different mask just because it looks interesting. Maybe a good time to try something new.
I have always looked at trying new masks as an experiment where I always learn something...either about the mask or my own personal preferences, wants and needs. Now sometimes all I learned was what a bad idea it was but I learned something. Sometimes I learned that what I thought would be a total disaster was actually a really nice mask and worked well for me. Anytime we learn anything....that's always a good experiment.
Mask: Bleep no headgear mask.. https://bleepsleep.com/
Machine: AirCurve 10 VAuto

I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

User avatar
strawberryfields
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 am

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by strawberryfields » Tue May 10, 2022 9:53 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:58 am
Have you carefully reviewed three or four youtube videos on fitting and adjusting the F20? It could be as simple as the headgear needs readjusting.
Hi, thanks! Yes, I did see videos on fitting the F20 and tried adjusting the headgear, unfortunately it didn't help. Currently I am strapping it quite tightly because anything else results in a huge leak, and even like this it still leaks and keeps waking me up.
Airsense 10 For Her
F20 full face mask

User avatar
strawberryfields
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 am

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by strawberryfields » Tue May 10, 2022 9:58 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:05 pm
Also...how old is the headgear of the current mask? Maybe just need fresh new headgear???

But if you have been itching to try something new anyway...maybe now is a good time.

Sorry I am of zero help for choosing or fitting because I don't use a FFM but the same thought can also be applied to nasal masks when for some reason we can't seem to make them work for us and have been eyeballing a different mask just because it looks interesting. Maybe a good time to try something new.
I have always looked at trying new masks as an experiment where I always learn something...either about the mask or my own personal preferences, wants and needs. Now sometimes all I learned was what a bad idea it was but I learned something. Sometimes I learned that what I thought would be a total disaster was actually a really nice mask and worked well for me. Anytime we learn anything....that's always a good experiment.
Thanks!
I have the headgear since September, it usually gets changed once a year.
I don't have any particular mask in mind, I just want to get rid of the leaks.
Airsense 10 For Her
F20 full face mask

User avatar
ozij
Posts: 8739
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:52 pm

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by ozij » Tue May 10, 2022 10:09 am

I had a huge leak for a number of nights on an 'F30 and eventually I discovered he silicon had disconnected from the plastic, where it shouldn't have.
I had to replace the mask
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

dataq1
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:09 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by dataq1 » Tue May 10, 2022 9:00 pm

ozij wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:09 am
I had a huge leak for a number of nights on an 'F30 and eventually I discovered he silicon had disconnected from the plastic, where it shouldn't have.
I had to replace the mask
or just the cushion ?
The information provided on Cpaptalk.com is not intended nor recommended
as a substitute for professional medical advice.

User avatar
ozij
Posts: 8739
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:52 pm

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by ozij » Tue May 10, 2022 10:07 pm

The soft, silicon cushion somehow disconnected from the plastic part that gets inserted into the main frame.
The arrow points to where the disconnect between the soft part and the hard part happened.
F30 Leak source.jpg
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

User avatar
strawberryfields
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 am

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by strawberryfields » Wed May 11, 2022 8:09 am

ozij wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:09 am
I had a huge leak for a number of nights on an 'F30 and eventually I discovered he silicon had disconnected from the plastic, where it shouldn't have.
I had to replace the mask
Thanks! I checked on my mask, this doesn't seem to be the case for me. The leak is where the mask is on my skin, it doesn't seal properly.
Airsense 10 For Her
F20 full face mask

Architect
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:09 pm

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by Architect » Thu May 12, 2022 4:12 pm

I had same issue, silent night mask liner resolved. Haven't had a leak in months....

User avatar
strawberryfields
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 am

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by strawberryfields » Mon May 16, 2022 9:18 am

Architect wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:12 pm
I had same issue, silent night mask liner resolved. Haven't had a leak in months....
Thanks, I'll check this out!
Airsense 10 For Her
F20 full face mask

Architect
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:09 pm

Re: Full Face mask is leaking

Post by Architect » Wed May 18, 2022 6:08 pm

strawberryfields wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:18 am
Architect wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:12 pm
I had same issue, silent night mask liner resolved. Haven't had a leak in months....
Thanks, I'll check this out!
Welcome, wish you no leak sleep, good luck....