Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BruceBannisterFraser
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:20 am

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 pm
This sounds really frustrating. Please check the seals on your humidifier -- it's possible they're the source of the noise.
if this was a reply to me then i dont have a humidifier

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 59920
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:38 pm

BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:37 am
Hi all, first time on here and like the discussion its a fault that brings me here.
i have been using Cpap for about 14 years and have had the same machine without issue for all that time, [ it's still perfect ]
at the beginning of December i recieved a brand new Airsense 10, the first night was bliss, it was so quiet, almost life changingly so.
the second night i noticed a slight short sort of "hum" noise when breathing in and it kept me awake most of the night as i tuned in, i changed to the old style nasal pillows, but no change, changed the hoses, even replaced the filter and also ran without one, nothing stopped the noise so i swapped all the new kit hose, pillows etc to my old Cpap and it was perfect, today 29th Dec i received a replacement and it's exactly the same as the first one, i went through all the swap combinations, but still the same noise, if i hold my breath the noise is constant, there is no leaks and even my wife can hear it, one thing i tried was to remove the mask/pillows and start the machine with just the hose with the end partially blocked to act like the pillows and you can hear the noise resonating along the hose, there is no way i can sleep with this noise, if it was at least constant then i would get used to it, but each breath intake with a low level squeak i think would keep most awake, it actually sounds like the rubber seals on double glazing windows failing in gale force winds.
any advice would be gratefully recieved.

PS the other thing i noticed was when the pressure was set to the same as my old one it was way too high to the point i couldn't breath out, so clearly there is a difference in pressure readings/settings, this has no affect on the noise, just an observation..........B
Sounds like you have swapped one lemon for another lemon. Time for another swap.
BTW your machine does have a humidifier built in but you may not be using a water chamber. There is an end plate available to block the end where the water chamber would be. Is this what you are using?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... side-cover
Are you absolutely sure it is fully inserted and locked in?

What happens if you put your ear down on the machine when it is on? Do you hear the motor noise with your ear on the machine?

One other remote possibility is hose conducted noise...is your hose laying on your bed/mattress or is it routed upward overhead and not touching the bed? If it is laying on the bed you might try routing it upwards and see if that helps with the noise at all. Remote chance this will help but worth trying.

These machines are essentially silent. They should be anyway. If I put my ear directly on the machine I can barely hear the motor and I have strain to barely hear it.
To me...anything else is totally unacceptable.
Mask: Bleep no headgear mask.. https://bleepsleep.com/
Machine: AirCurve 10 VAuto

I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 30469
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:31 pm

BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm
Miss Emerita wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 pm
This sounds really frustrating. Please check the seals on your humidifier -- it's possible they're the source of the noise.
if this was a reply to me then i dont have a humidifier
Then perhaps you should get one.

I've got an Aircurve 10 and when I use the blanking plate instead of a water chamber, I can hear motor noises conducted up the tube into the mask.

If I swap that out with an empty chamber, then the noises are muffled and I don't hear anything.
Get OSCAR and come chat on IRC: #cpaptalk on irc.libera.chat

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They're often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BruceBannisterFraser
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:20 am

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:02 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:38 pm
BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:37 am
Hi all, first time on here and like the discussion its a fault that brings me here.
i have been using Cpap for about 14 years and have had the same machine without issue for all that time, [ it's still perfect ]
at the beginning of December i recieved a brand new Airsense 10, the first night was bliss, it was so quiet, almost life changingly so.
the second night i noticed a slight short sort of "hum" noise when breathing in and it kept me awake most of the night as i tuned in, i changed to the old style nasal pillows, but no change, changed the hoses, even replaced the filter and also ran without one, nothing stopped the noise so i swapped all the new kit hose, pillows etc to my old Cpap and it was perfect, today 29th Dec i received a replacement and it's exactly the same as the first one, i went through all the swap combinations, but still the same noise, if i hold my breath the noise is constant, there is no leaks and even my wife can hear it, one thing i tried was to remove the mask/pillows and start the machine with just the hose with the end partially blocked to act like the pillows and you can hear the noise resonating along the hose, there is no way i can sleep with this noise, if it was at least constant then i would get used to it, but each breath intake with a low level squeak i think would keep most awake, it actually sounds like the rubber seals on double glazing windows failing in gale force winds.
any advice would be gratefully recieved.

PS the other thing i noticed was when the pressure was set to the same as my old one it was way too high to the point i couldn't breath out, so clearly there is a difference in pressure readings/settings, this has no affect on the noise, just an observation..........B
Sounds like you have swapped one lemon for another lemon. Time for another swap.
BTW your machine does have a humidifier built in but you may not be using a water chamber. There is an end plate available to block the end where the water chamber would be. Is this what you are using?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... side-cover
Are you absolutely sure it is fully inserted and locked in?

What happens if you put your ear down on the machine when it is on? Do you hear the motor noise with your ear on the machine?

One other remote possibility is hose conducted noise...is your hose laying on your bed/mattress or is it routed upward overhead and not touching the bed? If it is laying on the bed you might try routing it upwards and see if that helps with the noise at all. Remote chance this will help but worth trying.

These machines are essentially silent. They should be anyway. If I put my ear directly on the machine I can barely hear the motor and I have strain to barely hear it.
To me...anything else is totally unacceptable.

Hi thanks for the time taken to respond and thanks for the advice, i did as you suggested and put my mask on and put the running machine to my head and its the same noise every time i breathe in but amplified many times, this is what my wife hears, i hear it through the hose , the end plate is for the humidifier is good and tight, i must say, i am surprised that 2 new machines perform with the same fault, but i am sure it's not unheard of, i guess they will both have to go back to the sleep clinic that supplies them, i got the first one on the 10th of December and the second one was sent on the 27th with the understanding i sent the first back, i tried phoning them but like nay places are shut for christmas/newyear.
anyway thanks again and a Happy New Year to you, all the best Bruce.

BruceBannisterFraser
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:20 am

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:06 am

palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:31 pm
BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm
Miss Emerita wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 pm
This sounds really frustrating. Please check the seals on your humidifier -- it's possible they're the source of the noise.
if this was a reply to me then i dont have a humidifier
Then perhaps you should get one.

I've got an Aircurve 10 and when I use the blanking plate instead of a water chamber, I can hear motor noises conducted up the tube into the mask.

If I swap that out with an empty chamber, then the noises are muffled and I don't hear anything.
thank you for your help and idea's i will suggest this to my sleep clinic when they re open, amazing that two have the same fault and the first one was perfect on the first night.
anyway i shall post about what the resolution is.
have a happy New Year, all the best Bruce.

stevenal
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by stevenal » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:52 pm

BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm
Miss Emerita wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 pm
This sounds really frustrating. Please check the seals on your humidifier -- it's possible they're the source of the noise.
if this was a reply to me then i dont have a humidifier
Did you look in the box? Mine came with a humidifier tank (the heating plate is built into the CPAP).
AirSence 10 Autoset, System One awaiting recall, Swift FX, Freedom V2 battery, Z1 for travel.

BruceBannisterFraser
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:20 am

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:16 pm

stevenal wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:52 pm
BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm
Miss Emerita wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 pm
This sounds really frustrating. Please check the seals on your humidifier -- it's possible they're the source of the noise.
if this was a reply to me then i dont have a humidifier
Did you look in the box? Mine came with a humidifier tank (the heating plate is built into the CPAP).
nope no tank

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 59920
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:31 pm

BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:02 am
this is what my wife hears, i hear it through the hose
Wife shouldn't be hearing anything. Your hearing "some" noise through the hose is sort of to be expected but it shouldn't be loud enough for another person away from the machine to hear...and it sure shouldn't be loud enough to keep you awake.

Now there is some truth to the water chamber itself (even if empty) acting like a muffler but I don't have any way of testing it myself. I don't think I have and end plate to plug in instead of the water chamber.

When you take this noisy machine back...see if you can at least try it with a water chamber in place just to see if it helps or not.

As for getting 2 noisy machines in a row....I know of one person who went through 3 of them before getting a suitably silent machine. I don't know what to think of it except maybe a bad batch and poor quality control or they had a deaf person testing them. Despite what appears to be a rampant problem...most people don't have that issue. People who are happy campers don't have a need to come here and complain. We get the unhappy campers here. :lol:

Spouses should never hear the machines though. My husband can't even tell if mine is on or off and that's the way it should be.
Mask: Bleep no headgear mask.. https://bleepsleep.com/
Machine: AirCurve 10 VAuto

I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

BruceBannisterFraser
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:20 am

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:20 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:31 pm
BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:02 am
this is what my wife hears, i hear it through the hose
Wife shouldn't be hearing anything. Your hearing "some" noise through the hose is sort of to be expected but it shouldn't be loud enough for another person away from the machine to hear...and it sure shouldn't be loud enough to keep you awake.

Now there is some truth to the water chamber itself (even if empty) acting like a muffler but I don't have any way of testing it myself. I don't think I have and end plate to plug in instead of the water chamber.

When you take this noisy machine back...see if you can at least try it with a water chamber in place just to see if it helps or not.

As for getting 2 noisy machines in a row....I know of one person who went through 3 of them before getting a suitably silent machine. I don't know what to think of it except maybe a bad batch and poor quality control or they had a deaf person testing them. Despite what appears to be a rampant problem...most people don't have that issue. People who are happy campers don't have a need to come here and complain. We get the unhappy campers here. :lol:

Spouses should never hear the machines though. My husband can't even tell if mine is on or off and that's the way it should be.
all very good points, sadly though i have to post them back because the clinic has shut its doors to patients due to Covid and it doesnt seem thats going to change for quite some time, i do worry though that they will say : you have tried 2 what more do you want ? luckily i still have my Resmed ESCAPE II which is just superb after many years, i didnt even want to change, the clinic insisted that i should be up to date ! :lol:

stevenal
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by stevenal » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:26 pm

BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:16 pm

nope no tank
So you have the blanking plate mentioned above?
AirSence 10 Autoset, System One awaiting recall, Swift FX, Freedom V2 battery, Z1 for travel.

User avatar
zorki1c
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 pm
Location: Intermountain West

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by zorki1c » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:03 am

I’ve had my Airsense 10 Autoset about four years. It is as quiet as the day I got it. Once I had sort of a wheezing noise but I made sure the humidifier tank was seated and the noise disappeared. It’s hard to believe you could get three consecutive faulty machine. Is it possible for some people to hear noise at frequencies the average listener can’t detect?

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 31675
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: in a nice, moist, Nebraska bog

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:33 am

We used to tell people to put an old mouse pad under the machine.
Of course, it would be a pad for a roller bottom mouse--like a neoprene pad.
That kind of mouse pads are hard to find these days.
A sheet or two of craft foam or felt would help.
Otherwise your shelf/table turns into a mechanical amplifier for the cpap.
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset FOR HER, p10 mask

BruceBannisterFraser
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:20 am

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:14 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:33 am
We used to tell people to put an old mouse pad under the machine.
Of course, it would be a pad for a roller bottom mouse--like a neoprene pad.
That kind of mouse pads are hard to find these days.
A sheet or two of craft foam or felt would help.
Otherwise your shelf/table turns into a mechanical amplifier for the cpap.
thanks but it sits on carpet on the floor which no difference to the noise transferring up the hose

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 12057
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:23 pm

BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:14 pm
thanks but it sits on carpet on the floor which no difference to the noise transferring up the hose
If the wife sleeps on the other side of the bed, that IS a loud machine.
BruceBannisterFraser wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:20 pm
luckily i still have my Resmed ESCAPE II which is just superb after many years
If you are using the same machine position, same hose and same mask, that should end the discussion on hose/mask being part of the problem.
Pugsy wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:31 pm
As for getting 2 noisy machines in a row....I know of one person who went through 3 of them before getting a suitably silent machine. I don't know what to think of it except maybe a bad batch and poor quality control or they had a deaf person testing them.
... or the first two loud machines made the user deaf by the time he got the third one. :mrgreen:

ArchiePeters
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:20 am
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by ArchiePeters » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:36 pm

I really feel your frustration. When I first started CPAP therapy, I was renting a F&P machine - quiet as expected. I then purchased a new F&P - it had an annoying whining noise on the inhale - like a mini-turbine. My supplier swapped it for another new F&P - same issue. She then suggested I try the ResMed instead of the F&P. This sorted the noise issue totally - I was very happy with the AirSense. However, I have noticed that occasionally it seems to play up and produce the whining noise. When it does this, I turn it off on the machine and back on - the noise goes. This happens every couple of nights. Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes the pressure seems to be really high - like where I can hear air whooshing out the little hole in the mask (Phillips DreamWear). Again - turning off and on normalises everything. I also have the machine sitting on a rubber mat and turn it so the air vent is away from the bed. Sorry I can't be more help!
iMac 21"
Monterey 12.0.1