Kaiser changes machine settings

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 63750
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:23 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:15 pm
As far as compliance for a commercial driving license, do they look at usage or efficacy?
DOT when doing an inspection looks at hours of use only. That's out on the road.

Some employers will also check hours of use on their cpap employee drivers.

Now the doctor that signs off on the DOT physical....he might look at both. If he does both I would bet my last dollar he/she only looks at AHI and if below 5.0 doesn't give a crap.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: Mask Bleep Eclipse https://bleepsleep.com/the-eclipse/
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

User avatar
ozij
Posts: 10058
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:52 pm

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by ozij » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:27 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:15 pm
I agree with the plan to put your machine in Airplane mode. Offer to bring them the card if you have any followup appointments so they can see the efficacy of your treatment and make suggestions (not mandates) if they feel it can be improved.

But check you settings after you get the card back.

ResScan, the software used to read cards, can the doctor (or tech, or whoever) change the machines setting on the card without ever touching your machine. Once you put the card back in the machine, the settings changes to whatever the ResScan user recorded on the card.

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/healthcare ... t/resscan/

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Machine: Resmed AirSense10 for Her with Climateline heated hose ; alternating masks.
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

User avatar
SleepGeek
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by SleepGeek » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:51 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:15 pm
My thought is/was IF it was required for driving that Kaiser would have issued it and the patient wouldn't need to self-pay for it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Obviously you do not live on Planet Kaiser. Kaiser pay for it just because it is required for a commercial license? That's funny!
Obviously, and never will, but you knew that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw I am not the OP.
AND the OP never mentioned a CDL or any need for driving.

To clarify my thought one would think IF this patient has coverage with Kaiser AND had a sleep study AND required a cpap OR Planet Kaiser would not add his equipment to the database.

To repeat: the OP answered the question.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

User avatar
zonker
Posts: 10934
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by zonker » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:41 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:51 pm
[

To repeat: the OP answered the question.
could you quote where the op answered the question, because i'm not seeing it.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

robert-tim
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:29 pm
Location: Portland OR

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by robert-tim » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:18 pm

I have some interesting results at any rate. For the last 35 days before the change of machine settings, the average value for AHI was 2.26 with a standard deviation of 0.876. For the most recent five days including the day of the change, the average was 2.92 with a standard deviation of 0.873. There's about a 10% chance that the increase in AHI (that is, in the unfavorable direction) was due only to chance, and 90% that they weren't actually as good. The value obtained before treatment was begun was 42.
Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
AirFit F20 Mask
OSCAR

Janknitz
Posts: 8389
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by Janknitz » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:16 pm

btw I am not the OP.
AND the OP never mentioned a CDL or any need for driving.

To clarify my thought one would think IF this patient has coverage with Kaiser AND had a sleep study AND required a cpap OR Planet Kaiser would not add his equipment to the database.

To repeat: the OP answered the question.
I knew that and wasn't assuming you were the OP OR that OP was a commercial driver. Just pointing out that unless a Kaiser plan has full DME coverage (mine used to and Kaiser has managed to pare down the coverage to the point where I'm not sure they'd even pay for crutches if I broke my leg, although I supposedly have DME coverage) OR you have a Kaiser Advantage plan (in which case the federal govt. REQUIRES it), they aren't going to pay for DME just because someone needs it, regardless of the need.

Kaiser used to be very proactive about covering CPAP under the theory that it's cheaper to provide a CPAP than treat the stroke or other long-term sequelae of untreated sleep apnea. But not so much anymore unless the govt. makes them.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

robert-tim
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:29 pm
Location: Portland OR

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by robert-tim » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:58 pm

I don't need Kaiser's records to qualify for anything, to clarify a point that has arisen on this thread. But I have continued to analyze the performance of my equipment since they "adjusted" it, and the average AHI for the 35 days prior to that was 2.26 and it's now 2.56 for the seven days since then, which is not statistically significant. You'd suppose that they'd get better results than the advice I got here from people who have never met me, though, so I'm going to mention that when I have my next phone appointment with them in about three weeks.
Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
AirFit F20 Mask
OSCAR

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 14351
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:39 pm

robert-tim wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:58 pm
my next phone appointment
Why? You seem to know what you are doing. Why would you need an appointment?

BTW, you don't mention the breakdown of your AHI. When you are awake but still using CPAP, the machines sometimes report central apneas which can be disregarded.

User avatar
SleepGeek
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:09 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:16 pm
I knew that and wasn't assuming you were the OP OR that OP was a commercial driver.
I knew you knew that, so what was your point?
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Janknitz
Posts: 8389
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by Janknitz » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:52 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:09 pm
Janknitz wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:16 pm
I knew that and wasn't assuming you were the OP OR that OP was a commercial driver.
I knew you knew that, so what was your point?
This appeared to be directed at my post.
btw I am not the OP.
AND the OP never mentioned a CDL or any need for driving.
Remember we can't see each other's facial expressions or get instant feedback on what we put online.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

User avatar
zonker
Posts: 10934
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by zonker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:49 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:52 pm


Remember we can't see each other's facial expressions or get instant feedback on what we put online.
remember sleepgeek would argue with a stop sign.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

User avatar
SleepGeek
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Kaiser changes machine settings

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:26 pm

Remember we can't see each other's facial expressions or get instant feedback on what we put online.
Which is exactly why I rely only on the words in the post.
AND the OP never mentioned a CDL or any need for driving.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?