Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
- VikingGnome
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm
- Location: Mississippi
Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
After having Blue Painter's Tape coming loose within 2 hours of sleep, looked for solutions to my closed jaw-open lips breathing. I found some "waterproof" cloth bandaging tape. It did a great job at staying stuck.. BUT it is cloth so it's porous and woke up several times during the night breathing THROUGH the cloth tape.
Now that I'm getting more REM sleep I'm showing more leaks on SleepyHead and ResScan.
Chin strap won't work because I lip breathe without opening jaw
Any more tape ideas? i sure don't want to got to FFM if I don't have to. I would have to wait 4 months to get one as I only get new mask every 6 months so any change would occur them.
What other tapes are available that have worked for you?
Now that I'm getting more REM sleep I'm showing more leaks on SleepyHead and ResScan.
Chin strap won't work because I lip breathe without opening jaw
Any more tape ideas? i sure don't want to got to FFM if I don't have to. I would have to wait 4 months to get one as I only get new mask every 6 months so any change would occur them.
What other tapes are available that have worked for you?
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ F10 For Her Full Face Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Pressure Setting 22/18; Pregnancy pillow to keep me sleeping on side |
- chunkyfrog
- Posts: 34544
- Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
- Location: Nowhere special--this year in particular.
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
This sounds like me to a "t" My mouth is so unbelievably disobedient.
Sweat gets the tape; Poli-grip helps, but I'm playing with getting an adjustable Ruby chinstrap.
I'd like to mod it kind of like the Ultimate chinstrap (not sure of the name),
but more comfy and a bit softer & prettier. If it works, maybe I'll look into an Aloha.
Sweat gets the tape; Poli-grip helps, but I'm playing with getting an adjustable Ruby chinstrap.
I'd like to mod it kind of like the Ultimate chinstrap (not sure of the name),
but more comfy and a bit softer & prettier. If it works, maybe I'll look into an Aloha.
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: Airsense 10 Autoset for Her |
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
I've tried the blue painter's tape and it worked for me. Before that I had tried a paper tape I found in the bandages section of the pharmacy. I found it MUCH stickier, you have to take care removing it. But it might work for you.
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: Backup & Travel Machines: PR System One Bipap Auto, S9 VPAP Auto, S9 Autoset, Oximeter CMS-50E |
Diagnosed March 2011, using APAP 14 - 16.5 cm, AFlex+ 2
Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask
Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask
- VikingGnome
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm
- Location: Mississippi
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
Oops. Forgot to mention, I'm allergic to PAPER tape.
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ F10 For Her Full Face Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Pressure Setting 22/18; Pregnancy pillow to keep me sleeping on side |
- Suzjohnson
- Posts: 499
- Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am
- Location: Dammeron Valley, UT
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
Do you want to tape your entire mouth shut? I'm thinking of trying a couple of Breathe Right nasal strips. They aren't difficult to remove from the nose so think it's worth giving a try. Might not work with lip balm though.
Suz
Suz
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: SleepyHead, CMS 50D+, Deluxe Chinstrap, began CPAP 4/21/2012 |
"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
I use the 3M micropore tape because it sticks well and leaves no residue. I had the same problem with breathing through the tape so I started to put a second, shorter layer over just my mouth. Works great for me.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear
- chunkyfrog
- Posts: 34544
- Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
- Location: Nowhere special--this year in particular.
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
Johnson and Johnson cloth tape is my choice.
The one that looks/feels like grosgrain ribbon.
I would really like to find it in 2" width, but I can only find 1".
The one that looks/feels like grosgrain ribbon.
I would really like to find it in 2" width, but I can only find 1".
_________________
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: Airsense 10 Autoset for Her |
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
Jonnybee,jonnybee wrote:I use the 3M micropore tape because it sticks well and leaves no residue. I had the same problem with breathing through the tape so I started to put a second, shorter layer over just my mouth. Works great for me.
I found the same thing...I can breathe through the 3M tape, especially if I get it wet. I make sure to press my lips together before putting the tape on. That helps maintain a bit of a seal. I also use a chin strap (the Topaz Ruby) to help keep my jaw closed. At times, I get a flat leak line, especially if I have relatively new nasal pillows installed.
-john-
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
I was a mouth taper and chin strap user but I discovered I could pull the deluxe chinstrap up over my mouth and secure it with the straps that come with it in the back. Works like a charm. I can talk through it if I want to and breathe through it if necessary but it does keep my lips closed and it's easy off and on. I saw where one poster used it and used one of the narrow straps that come with it over her mouth. Photo was included. I realized that if the chinstrap over my mouth and around the edge of my chin was doing the job of keeping my mouth and lips closed that I really don't need to use the strap quite as much as a total chin strap as I do to keep my mouth closed. It was a real "eureka" moment for me!
_________________
| Mask: Swift™ FX Bella Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgears |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
There is an old thread where an ace bandage is shown (pictures too). Thats what I used when I had a swift lt, used just enough to round my head and mouth. I measured my circumference around and cut the bandage, sewed it into a circle and put if over my mouth, ears and back of my head...worked like a charm. Try a search for ace bandage that may bring up the thread.....if I remember correctly it was dreamdiver or dreamer that started the thread.
Found the thread, it was by dreamstalker ...controlling mouth leaks w/o tape or glue
viewtopic/553666/viewtopic.php?p=498292#p498292
Found the thread, it was by dreamstalker ...controlling mouth leaks w/o tape or glue
viewtopic/553666/viewtopic.php?p=498292#p498292
_________________
| Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.
- SleepingUgly
- Posts: 4690
- Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:32 pm
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
Maxie, does the chinstrap leave marks on your face? I also have puffs of air escaping my mouth with my jaw closed, so a regular chinstrap won't work. Also everything seems to leave marks on my face. If you say it doesn't leave marks, I'll ask you more questions about how exactly you're doing this!Maxie wrote:I was a mouth taper and chin strap user but I discovered I could pull the deluxe chinstrap up over my mouth and secure it with the straps that come with it in the back. Works like a charm. I can talk through it if I want to and breathe through it if necessary but it does keep my lips closed and it's easy off and on. I saw where one poster used it and used one of the narrow straps that come with it over her mouth. Photo was included. I realized that if the chinstrap over my mouth and around the edge of my chin was doing the job of keeping my mouth and lips closed that I really don't need to use the strap quite as much as a total chin strap as I do to keep my mouth closed. It was a real "eureka" moment for me!
_________________
| Mask: Swift™ FX For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Rescan 3.10 |
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
It doesn't leave marks on my face. It's all elastic and I get it just tight enough to do the job without stretching. I wear my Opus 360 over the strap and even with the pads on those straps I get a slight mark above the chin strap from sleeping on my side. Just get the elastic chin strap to fit so if your lips and mouth puff against it, it will hold them back.
_________________
| Mask: Swift™ FX Bella Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgears |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
- SleepingUgly
- Posts: 4690
- Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:32 pm
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
Is this the one?Maxie wrote:I was a mouth taper and chin strap user but I discovered I could pull the deluxe chinstrap up over my mouth and secure it with the straps that come with it in the back. Works like a charm. I can talk through it if I want to and breathe through it if necessary but it does keep my lips closed and it's easy off and on. I saw where one poster used it and used one of the narrow straps that come with it over her mouth. Photo was included. I realized that if the chinstrap over my mouth and around the edge of my chin was doing the job of keeping my mouth and lips closed that I really don't need to use the strap quite as much as a total chin strap as I do to keep my mouth closed. It was a real "eureka" moment for me!
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/deluxe ... hleak.html
So it is under your jaw and over your mouth? How do you use those narrow straps? I never saw the photo... Thanks!
_________________
| Mask: Swift™ FX For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Rescan 3.10 |
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
Yes, that is the one. (except I got a second one from Amazon cheaper with no shipping cost) I use one of the straps across the back of my head down low to position the strap across my mouth so it covers my mouth and catches the edge of my chin. It more for stabilizing than tension. The wide strap sort of sits on the crown of my head and the second strap is there in case it slips but really has no tension. You can experiment to get the most comfortable position for you. If I can figure out how to get a picture I will post it.
_________________
| Mask: Swift™ FX Bella Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgears |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
- SleepingUgly
- Posts: 4690
- Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:32 pm
Re: Waterproof Cloth Tape no good for taping mouth
I can't picture this at all...Maxie wrote:Yes, that is the one. (except I got a second one from Amazon cheaper with no shipping cost) I use one of the straps across the back of my head down low to position the strap across my mouth so it covers my mouth and catches the edge of my chin. It more for stabilizing than tension. The wide strap sort of sits on the crown of my head and the second strap is there in case it slips but really has no tension. You can experiment to get the most comfortable position for you. If I can figure out how to get a picture I will post it.
_________________
| Mask: Swift™ FX For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Rescan 3.10 |
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly





