APAP, should you hit max range (now w/report)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozij
Posts: 10544
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:52 pm

Re: APAP, should you hit max range (now w/report)

Post by ozij » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:42 pm

I would not call those little assays to higher pressure a "spike" -- but that may be my misunderstanding of the term.

As Wulfman says: One way to find out....

Lots of changes, Muse. Respironics is trying to supply the lowest pressure possible, and change quickly enough to avoid disruptive obstructive events.

Changing pressure is the name of the game in APAPs, thought they go about it differently. A Resmed Autoset increments and decrements in 0.2 steps -- albeit it can be very fast if necessary. The Respionics doea a "hunt and peck" in bigger steps.

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Machine: Resmed AirSense10 for Her with Climateline heated hose ; alternating masks.
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

User avatar
Muse-Inc
Posts: 4382
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:44 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: APAP, should you hit max range (now w/report)

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:21 am

ozij wrote:...Changing pressure is the name of the game in APAPs, thought they go about it differently. A Resmed Autoset increments and decrements in 0.2 steps -- albeit it can be very fast if necessary. The Respionics doea a "hunt and peck" in bigger steps.
I wonder if those who don't do well with the varying pressures of an APAP (I am not one, I love my AutoSet!) are mostly those using Respironics autos...seems to me that larger changes as opposed to small, perhaps more frequent changes would be more likely to cause arousals...the brain in effect saying huh, what was that, something changed and going to a more alert state. Fast is right, I've seen mine go from 6.8 to 8.6 within 3 breaths: turn APAP on while breathing very deeply just shoots that pressure up really fast, I can lie there and watch the increases...fascinating on those nights when I'm really too wired to fall asleep, have since learned to calm brain-breathing then maskup for sleep .
ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

User avatar
JohnBFisher
Posts: 3821
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 am

Re: APAP, should you hit max range (now w/report)

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:25 am

Muse-Inc wrote:... perhaps more frequent changes would be more likely to cause arousals...the brain in effect saying huh, what was that, something changed and going to a more alert state. ...
Greetings, I think the difference is very individual. Those of us with ASV systems can see swings of pressure from 8 to 10cm H2O range to the 20s cm of H2O within just three breaths (if it is clearing centrals or periodic breathing). Most people do become accustomed to it. But not everyone. Normally the pressure change is far less disruptive than the apneas that it remedies. That's the key. Though a fast swing might cause problem, for most people a deep, long lasting apnea is more disruptive.

_________________
Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: User of xPAP therapy for over 20 yrs. Resmed & Respironics ASV units with EEP=9cm-14cm H2O; PSmin=4cm H2O; PSmax=15cm H2O; Max=25cm H2O
"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing” from Rabbi Hillel
"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński