Glad to hear you are feeling an improvement in your energy level, Leo. Very good!Colombia wrote:My energy level has improved and I no longer make numerous visits to the bathroom. In fact I walked more than four hours yesterday around the city of Medellin stopping only for lunch. I don't own a vehicle and must walk to the bus and metro station... which I call forced exercise. My energy level is returning.
Yes, those leak rates of .46, .40, and .40 are not good at all. Something is still leaking air badly -- mask or mouth, or both.Colombia wrote:It appears the "Leaks" remain a problem however.
If it were me, I'd try this first -- I'd try putting a homemade strap (or two) around the mask to see if stabilizing the nasal pillows better makes the leak rate drop to below .20.
Here's is a link to pictures of ways to route the extra straps:
Using homemade straps -- useful for stablilizing masks other than just the one shown.
Using one or two homemade straps with the Headrest nasal pillows mask.
http://www.tnlc.com/Lara/laura/osa/aura-strap6ways.jpg
And a link showing how to tie the extra strap with a flat knot:
DoubleStart Knot How to tie a flat knot behind head when using a homemade strap.
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doublestartknot.htm
A leg cut from a pair of pantyhose tights makes a soft, stretchy homemade strap.
It also generally helps to have the main air hose hanging overhead, so the weight of the airhose doesn't pull at a mask when you turn over:
LINKS to Hose hangers and methods of managing the air hose
viewtopic.php?t=10640
I'd keep the max at 15. I think it's good to have the max pressure set quite a bit higher than what the machine ever has to actually use for you. It's good to have an "un-needed" margin up there that doesn't even get used.Colombia wrote:Any suggestions on further changes would be appreciated. Should I drop the Max 15 to a lower number?
I wouldn't worry about the "HI" (Hypopnea Index) numbers. I do think you can probably get your "AI" (Apnea Index) down if you want to try increasing your minimum pressure. If it were me, I'd set the minimum at 10 or 11 cm H20.
First and foremost, though -- the leak problem needs more work.
If steadying the nasal pillows better with a homemade strap doesn't show drastic improvement in the leak rate, then you probably are leaking treament air out of your mouth (mouthbreathing in your sleep.) To find out if that's happening, you might want to consider tape over your mouth:
LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011
I mouth-breathe during sleep. Tape is what I have to use, in order to not have to wear a Full Face mask. The Headrest mask you have is my favorite. That mask lets me sleep on my side with the side of my face snuggled down absolutely flat into the bed pillow. Taping my mouth each night, AND using a couple of homemade straps is worth it to me -- to have that kind of comfort with a mask.

