just me asking another stupid question about leaks
- sharon1965
- Posts: 1231
- Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:59 pm
- Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
just me asking another stupid question about leaks
ok, here's another one of my stupid questions about leaks:
my pressure is 8.5, i use a decapitated headrest/aura/twilight etc...my ahi is usually around 1, 1.5
as far as i can tell, the intentional leak rate for my mask at this pressure is 22...my average leak is always around 26, and my leak line looks fairly steady, with lots of straight lines and just a few bumps here and there which i attribute to tossing and turning...my large leak is always zero
am i to understand that being CLOSE to the intentional leak rate is desirable? do any folks achieve the actual leak rate? if the line is straight, but still higher than the intentional rate, doesn't that mean that i have a constant leak somewhere? if so, how could i not notice this?
thanks!
and hello den, i'm sure you'll be weighing to to try to get this thru my head yet again...but you have to admit, this is a NEW question about leaks, lol
my pressure is 8.5, i use a decapitated headrest/aura/twilight etc...my ahi is usually around 1, 1.5
as far as i can tell, the intentional leak rate for my mask at this pressure is 22...my average leak is always around 26, and my leak line looks fairly steady, with lots of straight lines and just a few bumps here and there which i attribute to tossing and turning...my large leak is always zero
am i to understand that being CLOSE to the intentional leak rate is desirable? do any folks achieve the actual leak rate? if the line is straight, but still higher than the intentional rate, doesn't that mean that i have a constant leak somewhere? if so, how could i not notice this?
thanks!
and hello den, i'm sure you'll be weighing to to try to get this thru my head yet again...but you have to admit, this is a NEW question about leaks, lol
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got...
With the swift I actually got less than the intentional leak rate. There is some error in the numbers in the graphs/charts.
If you have horizontal leak graph and are within 20 % ( which the numbers you posted are) I wouldn't see a problem.
At 30 % off and lots of ups and downs the leak graph I would start worrying.
If you have horizontal leak graph and are within 20 % ( which the numbers you posted are) I wouldn't see a problem.
At 30 % off and lots of ups and downs the leak graph I would start worrying.
-
Guest
Re: just me asking another stupid question about leaks
Not me......sharon1965 wrote:ok, here's another one of my stupid questions about leaks:
my pressure is 8.5, i use a decapitated headrest/aura/twilight etc...my ahi is usually around 1, 1.5
as far as i can tell, the intentional leak rate for my mask at this pressure is 22...my average leak is always around 26, and my leak line looks fairly steady, with lots of straight lines and just a few bumps here and there which i attribute to tossing and turning...my large leak is always zero
am i to understand that being CLOSE to the intentional leak rate is desirable? do any folks achieve the actual leak rate? if the line is straight, but still higher than the intentional rate, doesn't that mean that i have a constant leak somewhere? if so, how could i not notice this?
thanks!
and hello den, i'm sure you'll be weighing to to try to get this thru my head yet again...but you have to admit, this is a NEW question about leaks, lol
"Close" counts in horseshoes, hand grenades AND PAP therapy.
That works for me. I think SOME of it also has to do with the firmware in a machine, too.....and how it reports data. Without getting too detailed with this story......I acquired another new REMstar Auto in December.....it has firmware level 2.8 in it and with all the other components being equal, it's reporting significantly lower leakage numbers and a flatter leak line than the Pro 2 I just switched from. I'm kinda scratchin' my head on this one.
I've also noticed that Encore Viewer rounds leakage numbers UP by several numbers.
As long as the leak line looks "reasonable" and the average is "somewhere close" ......you're fine.
Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
- sleepycarol
- Posts: 2461
- Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:25 pm
- Location: Show-Me State
- Contact:
Okay -- so if we are close to the intended leak rate / line then we can stop obsessing over getting it lower?
I have become very frustrated because my leak line stays just a little above the leak rate listed and for the life of me I can't get it lower although it isn't from want of trying.
My leak line usually looks flat with "occassional" zipper lines where there is a few slight dips close together.
What causes the occassional spikes up straight up and straight down in the same line -- would that be cause of worry. Most nights I don't have that happen but there are times I will have one or two at the most that will spike up and then straight back down.
I have become very frustrated because my leak line stays just a little above the leak rate listed and for the life of me I can't get it lower although it isn't from want of trying.
My leak line usually looks flat with "occassional" zipper lines where there is a few slight dips close together.
What causes the occassional spikes up straight up and straight down in the same line -- would that be cause of worry. Most nights I don't have that happen but there are times I will have one or two at the most that will spike up and then straight back down.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.
This happens to be the last mask manual I looked it -
http://tinyurl.com/335foh
On page 11 you see a + / - 6 Liter/min for the flow rate.
I doubt anyone is ever going to be exactly at the published leak rate - it is a matter how how close you are and what your leak graph looks like.
http://tinyurl.com/335foh
On page 11 you see a + / - 6 Liter/min for the flow rate.
I doubt anyone is ever going to be exactly at the published leak rate - it is a matter how how close you are and what your leak graph looks like.
Jagged leak line
I'm using the same mask, Sharon, and I'm always above the listed leak rate, but it never registers a large leak. Not long ago someone on here explained what a jagged leak rate line means, but haven't been able to find that post again. Hope someone can repeat that.
Kathy
P.S. Check your PMs Sharon.
Kathy
P.S. Check your PMs Sharon.
_________________
| Mask: TAP PAP Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Improved Stability Mouthpiece |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Bleep/DreamPort for full nights, Tap Pap for shorter sessions |
My SleepDancing Video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c
Carol,sleepycarol wrote:Okay -- so if we are close to the intended leak rate / line then we can stop obsessing over getting it lower?
I have become very frustrated because my leak line stays just a little above the leak rate listed and for the life of me I can't get it lower although it isn't from want of trying.
My leak line usually looks flat with "occassional" zipper lines where there is a few slight dips close together.
What causes the occassional spikes up straight up and straight down in the same line -- would that be cause of worry. Most nights I don't have that happen but there are times I will have one or two at the most that will spike up and then straight back down.
Are you talking about the dips like are on Mindy's charts in this thread?
viewtopic/t27392/EPEPA-Reports-have-questions.html
I get those, too.....depending on which machine I'm using. I'm using the Pre-M models which have a "gasket" that fits between the machine and humidifier tank......and I've wondered at times if there might be "issues" with the seating of the tank-gasket-machine combination that cause those. I always make it a habit to push my humidifier against the gasket each night as I'm about to turn it on......along with a quick "feel" to make sure I put my card back in the machine and it is properly seated.
I've seen a goodly number of variables in my masks and machines, so I just look at my leak line and the average......and if they're "reasonable" I consider it a successful night.
However, I always look at my AHI number first.
My UMFF at my pressure of 12 is supposed to be in the ballpark of 40 lpm and that's about where I've been at with my other machines.....about 38 - 45 (on a restless night). As I mentioned, my new Auto is reporting leak numbers in the LOW 30's.
My Quattro was in the upper 30's before I Teflon-taped the elbow.....then it went to the LOW 30's, too.
Hope that helps.
Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
Sharon, this is an unexplained mystery to me. I get very straight lines, sometimes perfectly straight lines. However, some nights I get a leak rate of around 18. The next night it will be 22 or 24. The lines are of the same straightness, but the rate is higher. I did frequently get a leak rate of 18 with the headrest even though the published rates are closer to 22. Not sure why this is.
I posted to try and find an explanation for this a while back, but no one had one. I wondered if it was something like the gasket that Den suggests, too. I think I'll be extra careful to seat that rather tricky gasket very carefully and see if it makes a difference.
My mask is the decapitated Headrest (slightly different config) and my pressure when I first noticed this was 8.5, so the same as you. (I've been experimenting with my pressure a bit lately but it's not more than 9.0). My AHI is similar to your, too.
I posted to try and find an explanation for this a while back, but no one had one. I wondered if it was something like the gasket that Den suggests, too. I think I'll be extra careful to seat that rather tricky gasket very carefully and see if it makes a difference.
My mask is the decapitated Headrest (slightly different config) and my pressure when I first noticed this was 8.5, so the same as you. (I've been experimenting with my pressure a bit lately but it's not more than 9.0). My AHI is similar to your, too.
- Rose
Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html
Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html
Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html
Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html
- sleepycarol
- Posts: 2461
- Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:25 pm
- Location: Show-Me State
- Contact:
-
Guest
- sleepycarol
- Posts: 2461
- Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:25 pm
- Location: Show-Me State
- Contact:
Babs and Den,
Thanks. I was able to look at the graph and that is how mine usually shows up. I was afraid that it meant that I was mouth leaking as I don't tape or anything. I usually just have one or two of the spikes if I have them.
Of course I have used a few masks that the leak rate was unacceptable and those have been added to my growing pile of masks that I don't use
With the NA I get an acceptable leak line and with the Breeze as well.
Thanks. I was able to look at the graph and that is how mine usually shows up. I was afraid that it meant that I was mouth leaking as I don't tape or anything. I usually just have one or two of the spikes if I have them.
Of course I have used a few masks that the leak rate was unacceptable and those have been added to my growing pile of masks that I don't use
With the NA I get an acceptable leak line and with the Breeze as well.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.
Darn, If I had read this maybe I would not have asked my stupid question about leaks.
Jerry
Jerry
_________________
| Humidifier: HC150 Heated Humidifier With Hose, 2 Chambers and Stand |
| Additional Comments: 11cm/H2O, Encore Pro 1.8i, Pro Analyzer, Encore Viewer1.0 - 3 Remstar Pro2's, 1 Remstar Auto |
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "Wow what a ride!"
I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS
I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS
- sleepycarol
- Posts: 2461
- Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:25 pm
- Location: Show-Me State
- Contact:




