Hello,
I am having alot of trouble with my cpap. I have it on when I go to bed, but its off when I wake up, and its usualy sometime during the night. I am releasing both of the lower mask clips, taking it off, hanging the mask on the bed post and then turning off the machine, all while asleep - i dont remember doing any of it. I have been doing it for almost a week now. Ive turned on the leak alarm on my S8, hoping it would awaken me, but it doesnt. Im out of ideas, does anybody have any idea how to either keep me from doing this, or awaken me when I do it.
Thanks !!
Removing mask during sleep
Check out pur-sleep. It really helped me with the same kinds of problems. http://www.pur-sleep.com. It's an aromatherapy product for xPAP, very relaxing. It's the only way I've been able to sleep all night with my cpap, after 2 years! There's a thread about it on the boards.
It could be that mask discomfort is causing you to remove it. It could be that you are using too low of a pressure and the struggle to get more air is making you remove the mask. Are you having any problems with the mask? What is your pressure set at?
If the mask is good, and the pressure is not too low, try taping the headgear to your face. The discomfort from removing the tape should wake you just enough to realize what your doing.
Brenda
If the mask is good, and the pressure is not too low, try taping the headgear to your face. The discomfort from removing the tape should wake you just enough to realize what your doing.
Brenda
_________________
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Love my papillow, Aussie heated hose and PAD-A-CHEEKS! Also use Optilife, UMFF(with PADACHEEK gasket), and Headrest masks Pressure; 10.5 |
-
brackstone
- Posts: 168
- Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:42 pm
This happened to me for a while as well.
Let me ask a few questions.
1. Have you tried sitting and breathing with the mask on your face while watching TV? If not you should do this for several hours and see. If it starts to become painful then this is why you are taking it off in your sleep.
2. Can you breathe in a relaxed fashion? Are you fighting the machine to exhale? If so you might need to try a different machine or adjusting some settings.
3. You said the machine is off? Then your probably taking the mask off and then turning the machine off right away. I don't think the leak alarm starts as soon as you have a leak. Everyone leaks a bit while they sleep and that's normal. If the disconnect alarm went off as soon as anyone had a leak everyone would be getting just as bad sleep as they were without the Apnea Machine
Let me ask a few questions.
1. Have you tried sitting and breathing with the mask on your face while watching TV? If not you should do this for several hours and see. If it starts to become painful then this is why you are taking it off in your sleep.
2. Can you breathe in a relaxed fashion? Are you fighting the machine to exhale? If so you might need to try a different machine or adjusting some settings.
3. You said the machine is off? Then your probably taking the mask off and then turning the machine off right away. I don't think the leak alarm starts as soon as you have a leak. Everyone leaks a bit while they sleep and that's normal. If the disconnect alarm went off as soon as anyone had a leak everyone would be getting just as bad sleep as they were without the Apnea Machine
- NomoreCrashcart
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:27 pm
- Location: Florida
- Contact:
Early in therapy (2001) I awoke to find my mask hissing next to me nightly with never any memory of removing it. I switched to a nasal pillows system and that took care of it. In retrospect, I think I probably had the mask adjusted too tightly, but I've been a satisfied Adam Circuit user ever since.
Hope the replies help lead you to a great solution.
Hope the replies help lead you to a great solution.
If you can't breathe, nothing matters.
My pressure is set at 12. I usualy wear the mask for about an hour before sleep, as I lay there and watch TV. I feel comfortable with it on while im awake, I can breathe normaly and it doesnt hurt. Last night I tried putting the machine under the bed, and I still managed to get it turned off. Im thinking maybe barbed wire, or tape a taser to it or something, cause this has got to stop. My problem with the mask, is my insurance wont buy another one for 4 more months, and I definately cant afford one on my own, so even if this one isnt right for me (and how would I know for sure), im stuck with it.
- NomoreCrashcart
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:27 pm
- Location: Florida
- Contact:



