Continued use of recalled Philips Dreamstation BiPAP AVAPS machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Continued use of recalled Philips Dreamstation BiPAP AVAPS machine

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:19 am

Grumpy48 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:09 am
Pugsy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:49 am

No...the machine doesn't use wifi to phone home to report data. It uses the cellular modem in the machine.
WiFi is local...like so you can use your cell phone to view MyAir data that it has sent to MyAir via the cell phone modem.
Your wifi connection stuff only applies to your household connections. It doesn't reach to the internet.

People need to understand the differences between what wifi does and what a cellular modem does and not go posting incorrect replies.
I know Resmed machines are not equipped with it, but the two Philips DreamStations I have had have BlueTooth along with the cellular modem (have no clue if other manufacturers may use BT in some way). When the DreamStation's were accessed with a tablet using BT the data does find its way to the internet based DreamMapper app pretty much at the time the tablet grabbed it. The tablet does have a WiFi connection back to the internet, so I've presumed the data went DreamStation BT>tablet>WiFi Router>cable modem>Philips DreamMapper. Bluetooth on both the DreamStation's sucked for reliable connection access and I only used it when the cellular system wasn't updating.
Yep. But it is the tablet's connection to the internet that gets used to transmit anything to the internet. BT all by itself isn't transmitting to the internet.

So yeah.....The BlueTooth connection on the machine is still connecting locally to the tablet and then the tablet connects to the internet by whatever means the tablet uses. WiFi or BT is still local. If someone doesn't have any other method to connect to the internet then nothing gets sent to the web or DreamMapper or MyAir.

If the tablet doesn't have internet connection available then nothing gets sent to the internet.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:22 am

robbob2112 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:08 am
So what is the wifi actually used for then? I can't imagne they put the hardware in and didn't use it for anything
So you can use your cell phone (or computer/tablet ...whatever you use to view the app) to view the MyAir or DreamMapper results that show up after the cellular modem transmits the data to the website.

Big Whoopie.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robbob2112

Post by robbob2112 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:22 am
robbob2112 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:08 am
So what is the wifi actually used for then? I can't imagne they put the hardware in and didn't use it for anything
So you can use your cell phone (or computer/tablet ...whatever you use to view the app) to view the MyAir or DreamMapper results that show up after the cellular modem transmits the data to the website.

Big Whoopie.
So, whatever you are viewing on the myair app is being hosted on the resmed servers. It isn't in any way using wifi to do that. I can't imagine that resmed would include a wifi chipset on all the machines. That would be expensive for no use at all. I suppose it is possible they included an off the shelf chip that does wifi/cellular and are only using the cellular. But if that was the case why put the driver in and all and go to the expense of coding an interface to configure it.

I am actually surprised they didn't switch to wifi upload from all machines with the new models and only use cellular if wifi isn't available. The costs associated wth using cellular in the various countries must tally up pretty high. In the US amazon pays for what they call whispernet to allow their kindles to get books downloaded to them when wifi isn't available and cellular is. It is kind of a sub channel on all cellular carriers that SMS text messages work on. Different carriers have inerchange agreements so they just don't charge each other to deliver text messages and in the end they pretty much balance out. Amazon has to pay them to use it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:13 pm

robbob2112 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:08 pm
But if that was the case why put the driver in and all and go to the expense of coding an interface to configure it.
I dunno....ask ResMed. I am sure they have their reasons for doing anything.

BUT the wifi that is available from any machine is NOT what is doing the transmitting to the ResMed MyAir/AirView (for the pros) to the appropriate website. It's the cellular modem that is doing the transmission.

It's pretty simple and I just don't understand all the hooplah and wondering about why ResMed does what it does. It's not going to change a damn thing.

I just want people to understand that "wifi" isn't doing the data transmission to ResMed.
It's the frigging cellular modem in the machine.

robbob2112

Post by robbob2112 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:16 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:13 pm
robbob2112 wrote:
But if that was the case why put the driver in and all and go to the expense of coding an interface to configure it.
I dunno....ask ResMed. I am sure they have their reasons for doing anything.

BUT the wifi that is available from any machine is NOT what is doing the transmitting to the ResMed MyAir/AirView (for the pros) to the appropriate website. It's the cellular modem that is doing the transmission.

It's pretty simple and I just don't understand all the hooplah and wondering about why ResMed does what it does. It's not going to change a damn thing.

I just want people to understand that "wifi" isn't doing the data transmission to ResMed.
It's the frigging cellular modem in the machine.
touchy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:27 pm

robbob2112 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:16 pm
touchy
I get that way when stressed out and people want to argue with me and ask stupid questions over and over and over again.
This has ALL been discussed ad nauseam in the past here and people don't bother to read up on stuff.

So sue me.

I won't bother replying here any more....won't do any good and I gotta go pick up the cremated remains of a loved one.

Yes...I am touchy and yes I am bit stressed. Wish I was perfect but I am far from it.

I will be gone for the rest of today.

Bye. Have a nice day.

robbob2112

Post by robbob2112 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:51 pm

Sorry for your loss and sorry if I added stress.

I am the engineer type and question everything and take nothing at face value since a lot of people just repeat what someone else said or made up without verifying that it is true

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:28 pm

At a guess I think, using WiFi via the internet might pose a security risk. For Resmed or any other CPAP company, and authorized healtcare professional that needs access to settings or firmware updates, the internet firewall at the users location would need to allow open access to the machine. That possibly could open the door to attacks from hackers or others that may have malicious intent. I would tend to believe cellular communications to and from a CPAP would be more secure. Not everyone has WiFi with internet either and may rely solely on a cell phone for their internet access.

I wonder if in the 'olden' days CPAP's may have used a dialup landline to send and receive data :lol: ?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:42 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:28 pm
wonder if in the 'olden' days CPAP's may have used a dialup landline to send and receive data :lol: ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No... in the the old old old days just required us to hand deliver the cpap machine to the DME and let them get the information off the machine and back then all they really looked at was hours of use.

Trust me...the ONLY reason the machine makers came up with this online stuff was to make the DME's job easier. It wasn't really designed to help US. You do remember who the machine makers think their "real" customers are????? And it's not us the end users. We were an after thought.

robbob2112

Post by robbob2112 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:22 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:28 pm
At a guess I think, using WiFi via the internet might pose a security risk.
It would be trivial for them to have the machine set up a crypted VPN tunnel to the resmed server and upload the data that way. It would shock me if that isn't the way the cellular works currently, just a different transport mechanism. Chances are the devices are running a version of blackbox linux. Not willing to take apart my machine to find out.
Pugsy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:42 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No... in the the old old old days just required us to hand deliver the cpap machine to the DME and let them get the information off the machine and back then all they really looked at was hours of use.

Trust me...the ONLY reason the machine makers came up with this online stuff was to make the DME's job easier. It wasn't really designed to help US. You do remember who the machine makers think their "real" customers are????? And it's not us the end users. We were an after thought.
Ain't that the truth, they would prefer to keep it all hidden from the "stupid user".

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:43 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies :) , seems like I don't need to worry about firmware updates.
robbob2112 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 am
It does more that any of the standard cpaps and it has a top pressure of 30 verse the 25 for bi-level machines and 20 for the airsense machines.
Just in regards to this, is the ResMed Lumis 150 VPAP ST still a bi-level machine itself? Might be a really dumb question sorry I am just very new to all this.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:59 pm

Zaiforce wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:43 pm
is the ResMed Lumis 150 VPAP ST still a bi-level machine itself?
Yes, it is a bilevel machine.
Doesn't take much to qualify as a bilevel...just using 2 distinct pressures instead of a single pressure.
2 pressures...one for inhale and one for exhale.

Using any form of exhale relief or pressure support creates 2 distinct pressures.

So technically even the AutoSet becomes a bilevel (in terms of function) when someone uses the EPR exhale pressure relief.
It's a limited bilevel (because EPR is limited to 3 cm max) but still a bilevel. We call the AutoSet a poor man's bilevel.

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:21 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:59 pm
Zaiforce wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:43 pm
is the ResMed Lumis 150 VPAP ST still a bi-level machine itself?
Yes, it is a bilevel machine.
Doesn't take much to qualify as a bilevel...just using 2 distinct pressures instead of a single pressure.
2 pressures...one for inhale and one for exhale.

Using any form of exhale relief or pressure support creates 2 distinct pressures.

So technically even the AutoSet becomes a bilevel (in terms of function) when someone uses the EPR exhale pressure relief.
It's a limited bilevel (because EPR is limited to 3 cm max) but still a bilevel. We call the AutoSet a poor man's bilevel.
Thank you Pugsy :)

I am slowly learning thanks to everyone here haha.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:49 am

robbob2112 wrote:

So, whatever you are viewing on the myair app is being hosted on the resmed servers. It isn't in any way using wifi to do that. I can't imagine that resmed would include a wifi chipset on all the machines. That would be expensive for no use at all.
You keep going on and on and about ResMed's Wi-Fi, having Wi-Fi chipsets, they should be using Wi-Fi to transmit their data.

ResMed's do not have Wi-Fi chipsets, they don't support Wi-Fi.

robbob2112

Post by robbob2112 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:08 pm

Sorry, I was lead astray when the OP asked about it. I jumped to the conclusion that it had wifi.

To the OP, this is the clincal guide to the machine you are ordering - it has every detail about the machine and what it does. That doesn't mean I am suggesting you make any changes once the machine is set, but it will help you understand better what the settings are and mean so you can follow what the dr says.

https://document.resmed.com/documents/u ... %20(1).pdf

This is the plain user guide with
https://document.resmed.com/documents/p ... ow_eng.pdf