Whistling Mask_F&P Vitera

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Craig H

Whistling Mask_F&P Vitera

Post by Craig H » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:20 pm

Hi all

I have a new RESMED Air sense 10 ( 15 days old) but have been using my previous Vitera mask of about 30 days total useage.
(Saving the newer mask cos I hope and trust one gets more than a few months out of a mask!)
I will test the new mask soon.

Has been perfect until a 4 nights ago when it started whistling. No changes to pressure setting over that period.

The sound wakes me and disturbs sleep, so I have been resetting and removing mask last 4 nights. Long sleeps but short times wearing mask.

I am sure that it is not leaking and Oscar data confirms this. I am familiar with mask leaks and generally how to minimise and mitigate them
The mask has no damage points or wear and is well maintained.

The annoying whistling sound comes on after auto ramp period and emerges thru the exhaust vent I think. I can feel the air pressure as wind emitting the vent with my hand.
I can do nothing about it as regards mask fit and adjustment. So I reset and start again.

FWIW : It has not significantly altered the AHIs and I am happy that they remain under 6 ... (2.5 to 5.8)

I wonder if the anti return flap in the elbow is part of this noise issue? Apart from the tiny vent holes...I cant think of anything else.

EPR Fulltime. The whistling sound rises and falls with in and exhalation.

Thoughts please.

LSAT

Re: Whistling Mask_F&P Vitera

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:37 pm

Just a couple thoughts...make sure the air filter is in completely and check the seal in the water tub.. As far as the Vitera, I have been using it for about 2 years. My cushions last me about 6-8 months and I replace the complete mask at about a year. My mask has never made a sound.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:41 pm

Craig H wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:20 pm
(Saving the newer mask cos I hope and trust one gets more than a few months out of a mask!)
I will test the new mask soon.
Why wait with using the new mask for troubleshooting?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Craig H

Post by Craig H » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:53 pm

I was waiting to see if there was any other answer to the issue before testing the new mask.

As said...the old mask is less than 30 days useage and seems perfectly good by visual inspection.

Craig H

Post by Craig H » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:57 pm

I may have discovered the reason for the whistling mask.

Condensation in the tube and subsequent wet face!!!

Will search for the link to tube temp and humidity adjustment postings.

I think one goes up and one comes down...but which ones ? :?:

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:05 pm

Set the hose to AUTO...if that doesn't work, set the hose to manual with a setting of 80 or more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctw73sdPU6k

Craig H

Post by Craig H » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:57 pm

Thank you LSAT for the advice and the excellent LINK

I learnt that part of this is, maybe , we are also going thru seasonal temp changes in the room environment as we head into Summer.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:43 pm

Craig H wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:57 pm
....as we head into Summer.
are you "down under"?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:58 pm

Craig H wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:13 pm
New Zealand in fact.
oh! LOVE it. spent some vacation times there, on the south island. i love the "small town" feel of the place.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased this same F&P Vitera and I have a whistling noise as well. Wonder if it was confirmed to be condensation causing the noise with Graig?

I also have a Resmed airsense 10 autoset and have been using the AirTouch F20 (Foam) mask. I like it a lot, but I keep getting skin irritation on my nose bridge. After many other masks, moleskin, band aids on nose etc., I decided to try this F&P Vitera. I had read the Vitera puts less pressure on the bridge of the nose making it less likely to get irritation. The Vitera seems comfortable compared to other silicone masks, but I do get this whistling noise. I don't have condensation buildup in the hose or mask, so I'm wondering if it is the anti-asphyxia valve. I noticed when the machine turned off (power outage) that I felt as though I couldn't exhale like I can with the Airtouch. (I slept through a couple of outages with the Airtouch and never even knew it until the morning. :-)) When power went out this time, the Vitera was kind of pumping up and down on my face and I felt like the exhaled air was not going out of the mask like it should. I awoke immediately and took off the mask. I inspected the mask and parts and everything looks fine. No cracks or missing parts.

After taking off the Vitera and collecting myself. I did a test. I remained laying down and the same thing happened as when I was sleeping, couldn't exhale; however, when I sat up the anti-asphyxia valve immediately opens up (or closes, whatever it is supposed to do. lol) and I can exhale fine just like with the Airtouch. For now, I'm going back to Airtouch.

I'm just wondering has anyone else who might be using or used the F&P Vitera noticed that when laying down and machine turns off, the anti-asphyxia valve doesn't seem to work as intended?

Thanks.

Craig H

Post by Craig H » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:23 pm

Hey Movieman

The Vitera mask should have the small pinhole vents as well as 2 side vents on the face side before the valve and hose. These should allow inhalation and exhalation, even if some what slightly restricted.

I also had a power outage that woke me but only because I became aware that the cool air was not incoming.

Currently I am playing with Humidity and hose temp settings. Seems to be improving the moisture issue and no rain outs.

What ever..I am still getting desirable event outcomes from the machine and a nights sleep.

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:19 pm

Hey Graig,

Thanks for the response. The mask definitely has the small pin holes. I don't see vents on the side of the mask itself though. It looks like there might be vents on the sides of the elbow piece, but it's hard to tell if they are open or enclosed.

I think what's happening is when I'm laying down and power gets cut to the machine, there is still that little bit of air that keeps blowing out from hose into mask, very lightly. It seems to keep that flapper in the elbow open and I think that's why I feel such resistance on exhalation. I think that valve is supposed to close when power to machine is cut so that room air comes in. Perhaps sitting up helps close it. I have always been worried about FFM and suffocating in power outages. I know it is very unlikely and so many people use cpap without any issues, myself included. Still though, it took me a very long time to get used to my current mask and the hurdle of worrying about suffocating. So, I haven't ruled out that it might be a psychological issue due to change in mask.

I'm not quite ready to call it quits on the mask yet, but will take a break and go back to my older mask and try to manage the irritation. I'm still going to keep playing around with the Vitera and maybe replace the elbow to see if there is an issue with it. I really thought the Vitera was comfortable, so I want to keep trying with it.

Anyway, I'm glad you are adjusting to it well and getting good sleep. That is most important!!! I know how you feel. When I slept that first night through with the Airtouch, I definitely noticed a difference in how I felt versus no cpap. After many months now using it daily, I'm slowly noticing other improvements in how I feel.

Craig H

Post by Craig H » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:21 pm

The vertical side holes are definitely open vents thru the elbow.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:53 pm

A power outage nearly always affects operation of the cpap. :mrgreen: