Severe nasal congestion/ allergies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
colomom

Severe nasal congestion/ allergies

Post by colomom » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:34 pm

I realize this topic has been discussed at length, but the search function is currently giving me an error message and I’m hoping someone might have something to suggest that I haven’t tried yet.

My allergies are always pretty severe, but this year with a combo of an unusually wet winter and spring here in Colorado they are worse than they’ve been in a very long time. My main issue currently is that I’m struggling to get enough air when using my nasal mask due to severe nasal congestion, the bad allergies are also setting off my asthma which is causing some chest congestion and coughing. Usually when I struggle to get enough air through my nasal mask if I tough it out for a bit eventually my sinuses clear enough to breathe, but the past few nights I can’t seem to get to a point where I feel like I am able to get enough air thru my nose.

For meds I take Singulair and also use Flonase daily. I also use a rescue inhaler when needed and add 12 hour Claritin during the day and Benadryl ant night when my daily meds aren’t enough to keep my allergies at a tolerable level (I’ve been maxing out on everything lately).
Other things I also do is eat lots of spicy food and take nice hot steamy showers right before bed.

Any other ideas of things that have helped anyone else who are struggling with severe allergies?

Miss Emerita

Re: Severe nasal congestion/ allergies

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:53 pm

My allergist prescribed Azalastine (a spray) to use in addition to Flonase. She also recommended using the Neilmed nasal rinse once or twice a day, and saline spray whenever. Good luck!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:08 am

Please talk to an ENT (or at least a pharmacist). You'll likely get many answers here, but suggestions re breathing issues are not something you want to play with (nothing personal Miss E.). I'm sure everyone means well, but may also have many diff. ideas, but no knowledge of your respiratory system and/or medical history.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:27 am

Julie, you're right; I wasn't focusing enough on the whole respiratory picture, which includes asthma. The rinses and sprays can't hurt, but it's time for a visit to the doctor!

Callen

Post by Callen » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:04 pm

colomom wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:34 pm
I realize this topic has been discussed at length, but the search function is currently giving me an error message and I’m hoping someone might have something to suggest that I haven’t tried yet.

My allergies are always pretty severe, but this year with a combo of an unusually wet winter and spring here in Colorado they are worse than they’ve been in a very long time. My main issue currently is that I’m struggling to get enough air when using my nasal mask due to severe nasal congestion, the bad allergies are also setting off my asthma which is causing some chest congestion and coughing. Usually when I struggle to get enough air through my nasal mask if I tough it out for a bit eventually my sinuses clear enough to breathe, but the past few nights I can’t seem to get to a point where I feel like I am able to get enough air thru my nose.

For meds I take Singulair and also use Flonase daily. I also use a rescue inhaler when needed and add 12 hour Claritin during the day and Benadryl ant night when my daily meds aren’t enough to keep my allergies at a tolerable level (I’ve been maxing out on everything lately).
Other things I also do is eat lots of spicy food and take nice hot steamy showers right before bed.

Any other ideas of things that have helped anyone else who are struggling with severe allergies?
I agree with Miss E and Julie. You should consult your PCP or ENT.

In the meantime, there are other medications that may help until you're able to see your physician. Such as pseudoephedrine (not Sudafed or phenylephrine) and guafinisin. Or nasal sprays such as Afrin.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:19 pm

Be aware of the potential side effects of pseudoephedrine:

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682619.html

colomom

Post by colomom » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:23 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have of course talked to many doctors about my allergies over the years, my current regimen is what the doctors have recommended. Singular works pretty good for me most of the time, times when it hasn’t been enough adding Benadryl and 12 hour Claritin (as the doc advised) usually pretty much gets me thru. My doctors have always pushed Flonase, I’ve never been sure if it works for me but hard to tell since it has to buildup. Will ask my doc about Miss E’s suggestion at my appointment in August. A problem I am currently having with Flonase and nasal rinses is that my nose is severely irritated so any spray or rinse burns. I live in a high desert mountain, the combination of an usually wet and mild spring rapidly turning into hot and dry temps have wrecked havoc because of both the high pollen count and sudden changes in humidity.

I’m not asking for anyone to step into the role of doctor, just wondering if there is something fellow allergy sufferers can recommend to try when nasal congestion and irritation is severe enough that it is difficult to get enough air through a nasal mask.

Callen

Post by Callen » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:22 pm

colomom wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:23 pm
I live in a high desert mountain, the combination of an usually wet and mild spring rapidly turning into hot and dry temps have wrecked havoc because of both the high pollen count and sudden changes in humidity.
Have you tried using a humidifier(s)?

Nasal turbinates will swell in response to an allergen(s), dryness (caused by low humidty), dust mites, etc...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:39 pm

Do not wait to address your allergies.
I suffered throughout my youth with allergies, frequent "colds", and upper respiratory infections.
It is all related--allergies are anything but harmless.
I finally talked to my doctor while suffering from pneumonia that could have been prevented--
had I had the sense earlier to recognize the threat to my health due to untreated allergies.

colomom

Post by colomom » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:52 am

Callen wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:22 pm

Have you tried using a humidifier(s)?

Nasal turbinates will swell in response to an allergen(s), dryness (caused by low humidty), dust mites, etc...
Thanks, that’s a good suggestion. I wonder if it’s hard on the nose to go from the nice humid CPAP air to dry room air. I’ll give running some humidifiers a try.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:58 am

Just be aware that added humidity can cause/aggravate congestion.

SAG

Post by SAG » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:34 pm

colomom wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:23 pm
I’m not asking for anyone to step into the role of doctor, just wondering if there is something fellow allergy sufferers can recommend to try when nasal congestion and irritation is severe enough that it is difficult to get enough air through a nasal mask.
You might try Loratadine. OTC and inexpensive. 1 a day. Take in the morning after taking your mask off.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Aller ... 33&veh=sem
Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf

Callen

Post by Callen » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:22 pm

[/quote]
SAG wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:34 pm
You might try Loratadine. OTC and inexpensive. 1 a day. Take in the morning after taking your mask off.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Aller ... 33&veh=sem
She takes Claritin PRN. The generic name for "Claritin" is loratadine.

Callen

Post by Callen » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:26 pm

Julie wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:58 am
Just be aware that added humidity can cause/aggravate congestion.
Perhaps. This is unlikely given her situation.

She stated the dramatic shift from very humid to very dry has exacerbated her allergies and caused her nose to be dry.

nightnight

Post by nightnight » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:43 am

Try adjusting your humidifier settings. Bump it up a little.

Your nose will clog if the humidity is not quite right. Which also means you need to adjust as the seasons change.

It's worth a shot.