Concerns about cleaning with tap water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MinnesotaSnoozer

Concerns about cleaning with tap water

Post by MinnesotaSnoozer » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:44 pm

Hello, new to the forum, been using a CPAP for about a year.
I recently had some concerns brought to me by a fellow user after witnessing me clean my stuff in the sink. He said he only cleans with distilled because of a brain amoeba that could be in the tap water. Now it’s in my head, is there any merit to that? Do you guys always clean with distilled or with regular sink water?

Last edited by MinnesotaSnoozer on Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Concerns about cleaning with tap water

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:37 pm

MinnesotaSnoozer wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:44 pm
I recently had some concerns brought to me by a fellow user after witnessing me clean my stuff in the sink. He said he only cleans with distilled because of a delay amoeba that could be in the tap water. Now it’s in my head, is there any merit to that? Do you guys always clean with distilled or with regular sink water?

It depends on your water supply.
If you use municipal water, a report should be available from your local water company.
If the well is an open shaft, over which chickens roost, I'd boil the heck out of it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:59 pm

MinnesotaSnoozer wrote:
I recently had some concerns brought to me by a fellow user after witnessing me clean my stuff in the sink. He said he only cleans with distilled because of a delay amoeba that could be in the tap water. Now it’s in my head, is there any merit to that? Do you guys always clean with distilled or with regular sink water?

There's a term for people like that fellow.

"nutjob", technically speaking.

He's full of crap.

I think washing your stuff with distilled water is *stupid*, watch any video from the *manufacturer*, they just use the sink.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:36 am

MinnesotaSnoozer wrote:

Does he brush his teeth with Distilled water? Does he bath with distilled water? Does he use distilled water for cooking and washing his dishes?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:28 am

A lot of us don't even use distilled in our humidifiers.

There is absolutely no merit to contracting brain eating amoeba through CPAP use. Not one documented case.

Add to that, anybody who believes that they can get braining eating amoeba through CPAP, doesn't have enough food source for the amoeba anyway.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:16 am

MinnesotaSnoozer wrote:

What are you washing?

MinnesotaSnoozer

Post by MinnesotaSnoozer » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I have been washing everything including the piece within the humidifier tank, the “air outlet adapter”. I have learned now that not nearly as much cleaning is required. I just wanted to ensure that I wasn’t doing anything stupid. The manufacturers website says clean with “drinking quality water” and I wasn’t sure if that implied tap wouldn’t cut it. Sorry if I come off as irrational but the thought of the amoeba was quite scary to me!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:49 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:16 am
MinnesotaSnoozer wrote:

What are you washing?
His "stuff".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:51 pm

MinnesotaSnoozer wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:56 pm
Sorry if I come off as irrational but the thought of the amoeba was quite scary to me!
Have you heard of marburg, it's going around again.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:57 pm

Are you in Africa PR? Afraid of getting it?

amenite

Post by amenite » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:00 pm

MinnesotaSnoozer wrote:
Sorry if I come off as irrational but the thought of the amoeba was quite scary to me!
It's not difficult to get worked up about something when the three cases per year that occur amongst 300 Million Americans get trumpeted on the evening news. Play the lottery. You've got a 50-50 chance of winning that before your brain gets eaten by amoebas. Same odds more or less.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:21 pm

amenite wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:00 pm
three cases per year that occur amongst 300 Million Americans
How many were from tap water?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:21 pm

Julie wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:57 pm
Are you in Africa PR? Afraid of getting it?
No, and I'm also not snorting river water, which is my point, were you able to follow subtleties.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:23 pm

amenite wrote:
MinnesotaSnoozer wrote:
It's not difficult to get worked up about something when the three cases per year that occur amongst 300 Million Americans get trumpeted on the evening news. Play the lottery. You've got a 50-50 chance of winning that before your brain gets eaten by amoebas. Same odds more or less.
Do you spend your life huddled inside lest you get struck by lightning? (1 in 15,300), I'm sure you NEVER get in a car (odds of getting killed, 1 in 103)

You're being *COMPLETELY irrational*.

amenite

Post by amenite » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:27 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:21 pm
amenite wrote:
three cases per year that occur amongst 300 Million Americans
How many were from tap water?
Since 1962? 7

Of course, this is the CDC's data so someone somewhere will have reason to suspect a global deep state conspiracy to suppress the real truth that [insert fabricated number of cases here] die from brain eating amoebas annually.

I think the real takeaway here is don't clean your CPAP gear in a pond.