Arousal apnea’s?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
palerider
Posts: 32308
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: Arousal apnea’s?

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:51 pm

Billymadison420 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:58 pm
palerider wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:28 pm
Billymadison420 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:26 pm
palerider wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:13 pm
Billymadison420 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:16 am
Am I going from wake up N1, or is it just W?
Well, by definition, if you're awake, you're not in N1.
Let me more direct with my question. Is Sleep wake a process from W>N1>W or is just W>W>W?
Where is there any "sleep" in "wake to wake to wake"?

Google 'transition apnea', the more formal name.
So would this be scored as sleep and then wake on an MSLT, or wake, or both?
Really?
I get the feeling you're just intentionally wasting people's time.

_________________
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: S9 VPAP Auto
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Billymadison420
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: Arousal apnea’s?

Post by Billymadison420 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:48 am

palerider wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:51 pm
Billymadison420 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:58 pm
palerider wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:28 pm
Billymadison420 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:26 pm
palerider wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:13 pm

Well, by definition, if you're awake, you're not in N1.
Let me more direct with my question. Is Sleep wake a process from W>N1>W or is just W>W>W?
Where is there any "sleep" in "wake to wake to wake"?

Google 'transition apnea', the more formal name.
So would this be scored as sleep and then wake on an MSLT, or wake, or both?
Really?
I get the feeling you're just intentionally wasting people's time.
I am so confused. Why do you think I have nefarious intentions? I am asking a genuine question and trying to be educated. I am currently struggling with having a 2 different medical opinions and trying to come to a conclusion about what I am dealing with. I am seeking a third opinion from Penn Medicine.

Thank you. I hope you can understand I am asking a genuine question. If you think I am slow or ignorant I am sorry.

ozij
Posts: 10544
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:52 pm

Re: Arousal apnea’s?

Post by ozij » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:04 am

The breathing pattern called by this forum's members Sleep Wake Junk on a CPAP's report is JUNK.
Ignore it.

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Machine: Resmed AirSense10 for Her with Climateline heated hose ; alternating masks.
And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 34544
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Nowhere special--this year in particular.

Re: Arousal apnea’s?

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:12 am

ozij wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:04 am
The breathing pattern called by this forum's members Sleep Wake Junk on a CPAP's report is JUNK.
Ignore it.
Indeed!
Very much to the point.
Junk, junk, junkety junk.

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Airsense 10 Autoset for Her

User avatar
robysue1
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:39 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Arousal apnea’s?

Post by robysue1 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:35 am

Billymadison420 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:26 pm
palerider wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:13 pm
Billymadison420 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:16 am
Am I going from wake up N1, or is it just W?
Well, by definition, if you're awake, you're not in N1.
Let me more direct with my question. Is Sleep wake a process from W>N1>W or is just W>W>W?
The transition between sleep and wake is not always as simple as an on/off switch.

On an in lab test like an MSLT or night time sleep test, the epochs are really short---I think they're 30 seconds, but I could be wrong. (Maybe Rubicon or someone else can correct me.) And if you are having some trouble transitioning from either wake to sleep or from sleep to wake, you could easily see a whole bunch of W's mixed with a whole bunch of N1s and possibly even a few N2s all lined up together in the EEG data.

And "trouble" transitioning does not mean a medical problem. If you're just plain uncomfortable and you're tossing and turning a lot, it's possible to bounce back and forth between W and N1 while thinking you're awake the whole time. Or it's possible to be awake the whole time, but think you might be getting a few snippets of sleep here and there: Lots of people's brains have trouble distinguishing N1 from W and that's why it's super easy to wake someone up when they're in N1 sleep.

And all of this winds up being called SWJ around here: It's junk (J) data because there's no way to tease out whether an EEG would say you're asleep (S) or you're awake (W). But if it goes on long enough, it's probably an indication that something was messing with your sleep that night. And the "something" includes the usual non-medical culprits of bad sleep such as being worried about something or being physically uncomfortable because the bedroom is too hot or too cold or being uncomfortable because you ate or drank too much. Or your allergies could be acting up. Or you could be coming down with a virus. Or your bed partner could be tossing and turning all night long. If you are in pain, that can also trigger a lot of SWJ.

In order to get good sleep you need to minimize both the number of obstructive events (OAs, Hs, snoring, FLs) and also the amount of SWJ on a typical night. Ideally you want to transition to good continuous N2 sleep reasonably quickly at the beginning of the night and after any wake/arousal that you might have. Once you're in decent N2 sleep, your body will progress to N3 (deep sleep) and REM as the night goes on and you go through complete sleep cycles.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

User avatar
Rubicon
Posts: 1756
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:59 am

Re: Arousal apnea’s?

Post by Rubicon » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:18 pm

robysue1 wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:35 am
On an in lab test like an MSLT or night time sleep test, the epochs are really short---I think they're 30 seconds, but I could be wrong.
Nope, you right!
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

User avatar
robysue1
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:39 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: Arousal apnea’s?

Post by robysue1 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:59 pm

Rubicon wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:18 pm
robysue1 wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:35 am
On an in lab test like an MSLT or night time sleep test, the epochs are really short---I think they're 30 seconds, but I could be wrong.
Nope, you right!
Good to know I haven't forgotten everything I learned back when I was dealing with my own difficult adjustment to xPAP.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls