Best tips that you received from this board?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RogerSC

Re: Best tips that you received from this board?

Post by RogerSC » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:27 am

I agree that the "foe" button is a gift. Allows me to ignore the noise generators, and improve the "signal to noise" ratio immensely.
Last edited by RogerSC on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carojae

Post by carojae » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:24 pm

My first machine wasn't fully auto. I would wake up somethings with the greatest fart of all time or a extended burp.
I recommend auto if the manufacturers still do otherwise.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Best tips that you received from this board? asks poster Goldie, and it's a great question to ask.

I'm an occasional visitor, from wayyy back in 2006, and I've seen (and used) some remarkable advice.

1. Data capability is everything. If you do not know the effectiveness of your therapy, you are likely getting the improper pressures, etc.

2. Apaps rule, but only if optimized so that the lower pressure is at (or just slightly above) titrated pressure; and the upper pressure is only a few cm above that. A "wide open" apap is a prescription for failure.

3. EPR can work against the patient, with occlusions occurring just after exhalation, at the lowest pressure of the cycle. After years of an EPR of 2, I went up to one, and the overall therapy improved.

4. The notion that an AHI of 5 is somehow acceptable is completely false. Five is a wholly arbitrarily contrived value. If I have a (rare) night with an AHI of 1.5, I feel icky the following day. Eventually, true science will refine this foolish and unsubstantiated value.

5. Some of the most valuable threads on this fine forum involve weight reduction. I happen to be of normal weight, but a few of the great folks hereabouts might battle the bulge, and I sympathize and support whatever you do to to help yourself. Weight watch threads give you a large support group.

6. Humidification is not always necessary, and in some cases, can goof things up. While some folks need max humidity, others do better with zero, or nearly zero added humidity. After quite a bit of experimentation, I found that I do best with either zero or "passover" humidity; and, if I turn on the heat, my AHI increases! (It always happens, interestingly.)

This is a great thread, and I hope that our collective history of successful tips can be a rich resource for the newly diagnosed patients who are in great need of some good advice from experienced apneic patients.

Sheepy

Post by Sheepy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:29 pm

- Don't ramp.

- Although YMMV, don't reduce your humidifier setting. Mine was originally set at 3 (our of 5), then I fiddled with it and took it down to 2 and 1, but realized I was better back up at 3, thanks to a similar experience shared by Pugsy.

- Unscented baby wipes are apparently just as good for mask cleaning as the specifically labeled CPAP wipes I got with my kit, and I assume considerably less expensive.

-Tube management.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:12 am

More best tips:

* "YMMV" and how true from reading this thread.
* Learn as much as I can about my data and see what works. I'm in control of my treatment, not the RT at the DME who told me "don't listen to folks on forums"

CTcentrals

Post by CTcentrals » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:45 am

Sorry to take this thread to the side for a minute, but would someone please explain or point me to information on the "foe" button?

In addition to everything else that folks have posted, this could potentially be the best one.
Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
HumidAir Integrated humidifier
ClimateLineAir hose
Amara View Full Face Mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:56 am

CTcentrals wrote:Sorry to take this thread to the side for a minute, but would someone please explain or point me to information on the "foe" button?
Click on the member profile link of the person you wish to not read their posts so that you are taken to their member profile.
Top middle of the profile you see their username, gender, location etc and right below "groups" is
Add Friend
Add Foe

Click on "Add Foe" and it will take you to a page where it asks you to confirm your wish to "carry out this option".
Click ...yes and you will get a message that your Foe list has been updated. Meaning the person has been added to your Foe list.

It doesn't totally remove the posts from the person you don't want to be bothered with reading their posts because you will see a message that "so and so said something but is on your Foe list...click here to see what so and so said if you want to". You can at least skip it if you wish to.
If you happen to reply in a thread where someone is on your Foe list their remarks will show up then if you scan the messages...just ignore it the best you can if you happen to see it.

Not much you can do when someone else quotes someone who is on your Foe list. It's out there and nothing you can do about it.
We can only Foe the registered forum members. Can't Foe anyone unregistered or guests or someone not logged in.

You can also manage your Foe list from within your member profile. If you change your mind you can remove the offender from your Foe list.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CTcentrals

Post by CTcentrals » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks so much! I'm a bit curious how you answered before I finished typing, but I know better than to question wizards. Not intending to blow smoke at you, but you've been immensely helpful to my learning. I've been a long-time reader and started my apnea trek in 2011. It's not likely I'll post anything here, but I will continue to read and search for what you share.

ct
Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV
HumidAir Integrated humidifier
ClimateLineAir hose
Amara View Full Face Mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:25 am

CTcentrals wrote:I'm a bit curious how you answered before I finished typing,
You had to have hit the "submit" button for your question to show up for me to see it and quote it. No other way.
My crystal ball is good but not that good.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

PEF

Post by PEF » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:44 pm

I have not been on the forum for quite awhile, but check in now and then.I happened to come across this thread. I have received tons of tips and great advice from this forum. The best advice I got was about my insomnia problems. I am doing very well and could not have made it without the help I got from forum members. I always recommend this forum to people I meet who are new to CPAP therapy. Great job!

Robear

Post by Robear » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:56 pm

The best advice (by far) that I've gotten was that I could change my pressure settings, even tho' my doctor had told me otherwise. I did that 18 months ago and it has been pretty much smooth sailing since.

Suggestion to use a cervical collar also help tremendously.

phuqueutoo

Post by phuqueutoo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:02 am

BEST ADVICE? Easy: IGNORE ALL POSTS BY XXYZX!

Oltremare

Post by Oltremare » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am

Of useful advice I have received so many and I don't know what the best was.
I think the best thing I've found in this forum is people who understand the things I ask.
These people helped me to understand what OSAS is and how it can improve day-to-day therapy.
They helped me understand my reports and charts and today, I feel more confident and self-sufficient.

You don’t give fish to the beggar; You give a fishing rod and you teach him to fish.

Thanks to all but special thanks to Pugsy, Palerider, Chicago Granny, Robisue, Kteague, 49er, chunkyfrog, Goofproof, and many others.

Oltremare

I hope you will forgive my language errors. To write in English I use a translator online. Thank you